• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Healthy snacks

Vijay

For a house program I have to send snacks and savories every Sunday. They requested snacks other than deep fried. I have been sending recently salads, puddings, baked crackers, juices. 

I am running out of options. Could suggest some more varieties.... 

I have posted same topic in Cooking forum. Posting again here as this forum exclusively discusses Indian cooking. 

When you say you're running out of options, do you mean you'd like more categories then the four categories you've mentioned, or are you running out of ideas in those categories?  For instance, there must be dozens of salads, many different types of puddings, and a wide variety of crackers.  If you only have 2 salad recipes and would like more salad ideas, it would be helpful if you told what you've tried so far.  It would also be helpful to know your clients' age group for this Sunday program.  Are these also 5-year-old children as discussed in your soup topic in the Cooking forum?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This house program is meant for families. I have been sending fruit salad, oats fruit salad, carrots cucumbers salad, different juices, cheese crackers, steamed chickpea flour patties etc. 

As you mentioned I want more varieties of the above and also some new categories of snacks and savories. 

Like avacado bread toast etc. But my another worry is transport time half an hour and serving time gap another two hours. So this toast kind of stuff will remain fresh? 

I have a pressing need to sort out this logistics issues and "serving food fresh" methods. 

Is this the right forum or is there any exclusive forum which addresses this kind of issues. Please suggest. 

Edited by Vijay
Updates in last two paras (log)

Vijay, you appear to not have sat and gone through the old posts on this forum that deal with exactly what you are looking for. Do some searches and spend time reading old threads that started many years ago. You will find a goldmine of information together with recipes, methods etc. Once you have made the effort and want further assistance, forum members will normally jump at the opportunity to assist. But if you do not make the effort, neather will the forum members. We all enjoy helping and assisting each other, but showing you have attempted to do some research as well, will make your efforts in getting assistance much easier. Learn to walk before you try to run!

You mention above about toast and query how long it will remain fresh. Have you done a simple experiment to test how it transports and how long it stays fresh? If you have not, that is where to start with a simple experiment and you will know the answer within a day! If you want the forum members to tell you your answer without making any attempt to experiment yourself, do not expect others to feed you the information when you make no effort to experiment yourself. Sometimes trial an error will teach you a lot more than others just feeding you an answer. Try it - you will be supprised at what you learn and when you fail and explain to other members exactly what you were trying to do and what went wrong, there will be somebody to point where you went wrong or suggest how to fix the problem.

We all help each other, but we are not a group of people to teach you how to run a business or what you need on your menu. Sorry if you did not want to hear this. However, it is my opinion and not necessary the opinion of any other member of the forum.

Edited by JohnT
Spelling not too good this late at night! (log)
  • Like 3

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Thanks John. I have to workout on this continental cooking. From beginning to end. Will search the forum threads and start applying. I hope very soon I will be enlightened. :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Vijay said:

I have to workout on this continental cooking. 

Are you trying to create more European/American menus rather than Indian/Asian?  What cultures do most of your clients come from?  It sounds like you are comfortable cooking Indian dishes but need help with more western menus?

I was an expat pastry chef for a bit, so I realize it can be hard to re-create foreign dishes with local ingredients and equipment, and its hard to know what a dish is supposed to be like just from a recipe or picture if you've never had it before. 

Following up as far as healthy snacks, have you tried making healthier versions of snacks you know people like?  Use less sugar,  add whole grains or lentil flour for protein, bake instead of fry.  Experiment in small batches first or at home if you can.  And, different people have different versions of healthy.  Low fat used to be considered healthy, now lower sugar and "good" fats are recommended.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your concern. Yes, all of our customers are Indians. I have been trying for traditional Indian dishes also. However all such cultures are lost. Its very difficult to recreate now the healthy old Indian dishes alone for me.

Since on the web, a wide variety of western cooking is available I am focusing a little bit on this part like simple stuff... Bread toast, Ginger bread, baked items rather than deep fried. I got little success. Hope I will improve in future. Last week I got the contact of a bakery chef who promised me to help once in a week. May be this personal guidance is useful in future. Here in this forum also I am studying different threads. All together I hope will make a strong impact. Thank you. 

Do you have any difficulty finding ingredients? 

For sweet snacks, think about muffins with carrot, pumpkin, banana, zucchini (courgette), apples, or other fresh or dried fruits.  You can usually use less sugar - if the recipe says 2 cups sugar (400g), try 1-1/2 cups (300g).  Also granola bars with oats, dried fruits, nuts, and honey.  You can make different versions like peanut + raisin or almond + dried apricot.  Some recipes are baked, some use sticky ingredients like dates or honey so everything will stick together.

I do hope the bakery chef will be able to help.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you. I will try granola bars next week for the temple bells apartment program. I heard granola bars can be a choice for long journey snacks also. I have occasional demand also from the customers for train and long journey snacks. I will implement your ideas. Thank you.