• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

kevnick80

How to recreate these chocolates

No idea how they did it but it sure is pretty.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I wonder about gold powder in alcohol and some sort of resist - but not sure how that would work 

I'm not sure what "resist" is, but it cannot be just gold powder and alcohol used to produce the effect. I just finished using that technique on a piece, and the gold dust mostly dissolves in the alcohol and leaves a streaky effect when it dries, not so much like a web or lace as in the example. As you can tell, I was not pleased with the result in my own attempt--and cleaning those molds (pyramids with sharp corners) was a nightmare. It's much better looking when the luster dust is brushed on afterward, but then it comes off in the hand. In the pyramids I took to the Vegas workshop this year, it was brushed on, and I was embarrassed when I saw gold dust on people's fingers. Someone else there had entire pieces covered in silver or bronze--they were beautiful--but that also came off on the fingers. Of course, we don't know what the pieces in the photo are like when touched. Too bad @LePetitPrince doesn't remember where he saw the photo.

You don't get that kind of shine applying color to a finished piece. 

The few perfectly round dots of black make me think the mold was taped with the stripe in the middle, sprayed black but not full coverage, then the tape removed and sprayed gold.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

The few perfectly round dots of black make me think the mold was taped with the stripe in the middle, sprayed black but not full coverage, then the tape removed and sprayed gold.

You are right - interesting how the eye gets fooled and doesn't see the regularity of the black - just the irregularity of the gold. So masked, heavy black splatter, unmasked, gold. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Good eye! Like Kerry, I kept seeing the gold over the black. It being under the black makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

Now that we know it's Bachour, I found this video showing him at work (alas, not the bonbon recently discussed). Apparently his most recent book, which includes a section on bonbons, doesn't delve very deeply into techniques. 

Edit: I misread the Flickr link. The mold used is by Bachour, the decoration is by Andrey Dubovik.

Edited by Jim D. To correct error (log)

If I recall correctly (and at my age that’s always questionable) Chef Rubber has (or had) a gold (and silver) cocoa butter.  Indeed, I just looked through my stash and found mine...Jewel Collection Gold 620500.  

Im inclined to say they sprayed (and splattered) the cocoa butter on with a mask then did the other colors and of course, backed off with white

Have to agree wth @pastrygirl.  Looks to me like they taped of the center line, splattered black then removed the tape and sprayed gold.  Not sure if it's backed in white or not.