• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

Burgers, custom grind with chuck, sirloin and short rib on homemade light brioche buns with bacon/caramelized onion jam and cheddar. 

FB_IMG_1492555271434.jpg

FB_IMG_1492555237199.jpg

• Like 19

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

image.thumb.jpeg.da8120ee9860ea55f1519b91f746e39c.jpeg

Loaded nachos at lunch did not leave much room for dinner.  This is a Diana Henry recipe from her much earlier book published in 2007 called "Cook Simple". The onions hardly need a recipe. They are doused in olive oil, seasoned and cooked with a foil cover for about an hour. Butter is then added and they are basted on and off for another half an hour. If you are feeling hungry or adventurous you can top them with either sliced Brie or crumbled cheddar or Gruyere  to make a satisfying meal. I overdosed on cheese with the nachos. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, cakewalk said:

How do you make the beetroot leaves curry? When I get beets with the leaves still attached, I'm always wondering what to do with them. I usually just slice them thinly and saute with onions and other greens I might have. But this sounds more specific. The meal looks lovely.

@cakewalk, thanks. The beet leaf curry was from a blog called indiaphile....I can't seem to link it, but Google should find it for you.

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Following @Anna N with another Diana Henry recipe.  Pasta all'ortolana from her recent book, Simple.

IMG_4934.thumb.jpg.6b25782cef3f6a8d9e73c97a096eb720.jpg

The header notes describe it as a carbonara made with zucchini.

Wow that looks amazing! Despite the title of the cookbook I can't warrant buying the book just for this recipe but will search it out. I love anything with zucchini and that picture has me drooling and wondering how well the random zucchini in my veg drawer is holding up. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Wow that looks amazing! Despite the title of the cookbook I can't warrant buying the book just for this recipe but will search it out. I love anything with zucchini and that picture has me drooling and wondering how well the random zucchini in my veg drawer is holding up. 

The book is quite good. If you have an opportunity to check out the book from the library, you might find you like it.  If you google the recipe name and Diana Henry, you can find the recipe in the Google books preview.   

But it's easy enough to just riff off a favorite carbonara recipe - just sauté some sliced onions and the zucchini until it's all golden, add some sliced garlic towards the end of cooking and use that mixture instead of the delicious pig parts that usually belong there :D

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4

Chicken marylands spirinkled with lemon juice, thyme and olive oil, then roasted with potatoes, beetroot and cauliflower, plus a side of garlic kale. Gravy was made with pan juices, flour,  stock and a splash of limoncello.

IMG_3512.thumb.JPG.f8714fb19c90591e8fd584e81839ad46.JPG

• Like 16

image.jpeg.7c54723a12df7aa590e54b2b76113ff6.jpeg

So I am willing to admit a certain level of frustration or perhaps envy that @blue_dolphin is cooking so often and so well from one of my favourite books (Diana Henry's Simple) that tonight I just had to make an effort. This is her Persian-inspired eggs with dates and chillies.  

Some thinly sliced onion  is slowly coloured in some olive oil and then cumin and pepper flakes  are added. Her recipe calls for a handful of spinach but my crisper drawers were not cooperative. But I had bought a bunch of radishes earlier and their greens were still in relatively good condition so they went in instead of spinach. Then a couple of eggs are gently scrambled along with two or three pitted and quartered dates.   The dish is finished with a handful of chopped cilantro and served with the small side of yoghurt.

The jury is still out on this. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

The jury is still out on this. 

I recall that the header notes on this one said that the flavor combination was unusual but addictive.  I'm glad I tried it but it didn't have enough textural contrast and I have yet to acquire a taste for dates in my eggs. 

A quick supper tonight - hard cider rarebit from Diana Henry's Simple. Recipe online here

IMG_4944.thumb.jpg.881f3c4bda62f5aadc8fa5165b391e52.jpg

There's a layer of sautéed apples under the cheese sauce.  Not my first choice of a rarebit recipe but it went nicely with a glass of the hard cider.

• Like 13

Spatchcock chicken, Dijon mustard, Italian dressing, copious amounts of garlic powder, salt and pepper. This was grilled at 375 over indirect heat for 1 1/2 half hour. A cucumber salad was the only side. Anything else would have just been leftovers.

HC

IMG_1821.thumb.JPG.49925862631567a2e396045d383f24df.JPG

IMG_1822.thumb.JPG.241a7784d56a8c6bf458c5ea0569526e.JPGIMG_1823.thumb.JPG.c858156b290773be428674069c544625.JPGIMG_1824.thumb.JPG.24ca3c6b235d027edd6ede5aac1e9472.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 16

5 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Roasted Japanese sweet potato with ras al hanout coated crispy chickpeas, sautéed kale, muhamurra vinaigrette, and cucumber-parsley salad.  

pc.thumb.jpg.317b579a102b029434bf6000c7d92a03.jpg

That's quite a cross-cultural dinner!  Please tell more about muhamurra vinaigrette.  I'm familiar with muhammara sauce, as applied to chicken for example, but this vinaigrette is a new idea.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Pizza alla Napoletana from The Fine Art of Italian Cooking by Giuliano Bugialli.  Half the dough was as per the recipe and the other half of the dough was a vehicle to use up some ham sausage that was on the verge...topped with fried onions.

DSC01904.thumb.jpg.3e3e92942728bdbd484b6e9bc91f0411.jpgDSC01903.thumb.jpg.4fbd319552b6e5822463aee71147ae7d.jpg

• Like 16