• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

52 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

@mm84321tell me how you cooked those abalone.  I have six abs in my freezer and have only cooked them by pounding, breading in Ritz frackers and frying/sauteeing

Simply sliced, floured and sautéed briefly in butter on both sides. Removed from the pan, a bit more butter added, then minced garlic, ginger and parsley, which I tossed the slices and some pasta in with a few New Zealand spinach shoots. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.thumb.jpg.7a8eafb0fdc2b22ef760e50af2779a30.jpg

I fear I am slipping inexorably into vegetarianism. Somebody throw me a line (or a ribeye). xD

This afternoon a kind friend gave me a ride to the market I seldom get to where I like to buy my meat.  Among the beef offerings of prime cuts, including uncut dry aged strip, I spied the largest rib cuts I have ever seen, about 18 inches (0.46 meter) long.  Not thin either.  Granted much of the length was Frenched and merely bone.  I was reminded of a boomerang  But must make for a remarkable presentation in someone's kitchen.

For what it's worth I did not come home with any beef.  I bought a Berkshire pork rib chop, calling to my largest Falk skillet.  Lamb rib chops.  And a tiny poussin, which my friend was mistakenly convinced must really be a quail.

But I must say the prime ribeye certainly looked lovely.  Much more than slightly abundant marbling.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Mrs. C was out of town last week, and younger son's GF is vegetarian with cheese, so I reverted to the sort of simple, mostly-veggie food I often cooked in my bachelor days.

Hongos al vapor, modified. Dry-fried portabella mushrooms, sauteed with white onion, roasted Anaheim chiles, and garlic, and then finished with cilantro and crumbled feta.

p2331935282-5.jpg

Calabacitas al mojo de ajo: Fry sliced garlic in olive oil and butter and remove. Cube zucchini and toss with salt in a colander. Dry and saute the zucchini, and finish with black pepper, Mexican oregano, and lime juice.

Arroz blanco with pinto beans: Pilaf-style with white onion, garlic, and soy sauce in water subbed for chicken broth.

Everything topped with cilantro and crumbled feta after the picture. Oops.

p2331935280-5.jpg

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Calabacitas al mojo de ajo: Fry sliced garlic in olive oil and butter and remove. Cube zucchini and toss with salt in a colander. Dry and saute the zucchini, and finish with black pepper, Mexican oregano, and lime juice.

Must try this!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Saag paneer, dal makhani (sans cream, I only used browned butter, and made it drier than is common), basmati rice with a hint of peanut paste and allspice, home made fresh turmeric and ginger chutney. Yogurt.

20170512_203801.thumb.jpg.eef744fcc4c94fd4f0596cce8b76d373.jpg

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

40 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Thank you.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My mom came for a couple of days.  We had a blast.  I forgot to take pics of some of the food but here's a bit.

My wonderful cleaning angel brought me strawberries from her patch.  SO good.  They actually TASTE like strawberries.

59204ee46a7c2_photo147.JPG.cd05935f7c16b1831b1d6e727e3c4e32.JPG

Snacks for when mom got here after an 11 hour drive

59204eff340b6_photo149.JPG.042af46a4684af7e7c87826242b08f3f.JPG

Ramen noodle chicken salad--we love this stuff

59204eef85e43_photo148.JPG.a4f90c6d8efa8b2dd3ec090277996cdd.JPG

Pizza night

59204ef910046_photo150.JPG.8b0b5dec456e498ec24abc73e16dc864.JPG

Fried chicken wings and gizzards last night

59204fb23b09f_photo153.JPG.af3103cb6249cd8ef9a890fdfc1307ff.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 23

One of our friends just dropped his puppy for a week visit at The Aerie.  He spent the night and it was still hot so simple stuff - bison cheese burgers, Park's best dogs with some beer sauerkraut, potato salad, coleslaw and gluten free macaroni salad.   Lots of All Day IPA for the guys.

Dry weather front went through last night and now instead of 89 F  we MAY hit 62 F.  I have some chicken I pulled off a rotisserie bird (after making a couple of sandwiches to send Mike on his way).  I'm going to cook some noodles, sauté some mushrooms and make a chicken noodle bake - topped with the rest of the bag of chips I sent on the way to the Carolinas.  I also pulled a container of Lactaid cottage cheese out of the freezer.....by Monday it will be drained and will sub for ricotta in making some manicotti with homemade bison ragu...along with a small lasagna to go into the freezer for John.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Another dish with our spring asparagus from Central WA.  It looks sort of fussy, but it was incredibly easy.  Cream of Asparagus Soup with Butter-Poached Prawns and Smoked Cheddar Toast.

I started with some asparagus in vegetable stock along with a chopped onion, a clove of garlic, a bay leaf and about 2 cups of spinach.  I used a LOT of asparagus, about 2lbs. and I'd say about 6 cups vegetable stock.  After about 10 minutes cooking over a medium high heat, covered, then into the blender to puree.  Then into a stockpot with about 3/4 cup heavy cream added.  The drizzle is just hollandaise I make in the blender and some crispy fried onions that I buy at the local Asian grocery.  The prawns were just cooked over low heat with some butter and water.  I placed the prawns on top of a crouton so they wouldn't sink in the soup.  And I use my meat slicer to cut very thin shards of bread, topped with smoked cheddar and broiled.

The soup was better the next day, sans all the fussy dressing garnishes.  Just good old asparagus soup.

IMG_2059.JPG 

• Like 16

In the midst of preparing:

6 Week Aged Cumbrae's Ribeye (thank you to those whom put me onto the multiple flip method - truly superior results!)

Baked Yukon gold w Truffle Butter

Fresh ASSpergas (as my dad used to call them)

Enjoyed with a bottle of 2010 Williams Selyem Precious Mountain

Sante!

• Like 6

The store had spare ribs $3.50 / lb and St. Louis ribs @ 5.00 / lb.  I got the spare ribs with the intent of trimming out the St. Louis cut and using the rest of the meat for something else, like sausage.  At the last minute, though I decided to smoke the whole slab.  I made a Rich Davis recipe for potato salad and we had some sourdough bread from a couple days ago. FYI  Rich Davis is the person who created KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce.

20170519_103752.jpg

20170520_143258.jpg

20170520_143301_001.jpg

20170520_150307.jpg

• Like 19

image.jpeg.43f2263c77105944fe8d9ccb3f3587d4.jpeg

I have joked about creeping vegetarianism in my life and tonight I am attempting a cure. But I do not want to upset the vegetarians in anyway. I am just finding that  quite often I am happy with just vegetables on my plate.  Or as a friend of mine once said at my dinner table, "I am not a vegetarian, I just don't need a huge hunk of protein on my plate."   At the time I thought he was mildly deranged  but now I have almost caught up.  Just saying.....   Please don't let this small comment take the dinner thread off on a tangent.:)  We can start a new topic if need be.

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, while we're being vegeterian -- I am a lot moreso in the spring and summer, when fresh veggies abound. And I figured I'd best put some of that farmers' market bounty to use.

5920df968254b_veggiedinner0520.jpg.86bfa86cff86071b7334ae0a6795a434.jpg

Steamed sugar snaps tossed in butter, sauteed yellow squash with onion, roasted new potatoes, tomatoes with fresh ricotta (wish I'd just stuck with salt and pepper). Minimal seasoning on everything, to let the taste of spring shine through. I am replete, with the potential for a second helping of everything before bedtime.

Planned, btw, with leftovers in mind. The potatoes will get diced up, meet a hot skillet, and be served with bacon and eggs later this week. The squash and onions will reappear in a squash casserole. The sugar snaps may become part of a quiche or frittata, or a salad, or just get warmed up.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

As a retired nutrition professional and one not wanting to hijack the dinner thread BUT just vegetables do not provide required protein unless of course one had enough protein at previous meals.  Especially important for us older folks, protein needs go up not down as we age.  My 2 cents worth and intended to help people be reflective of the nutritional content of their meals as well as enjoyment.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

As a retired nutrition professional and one not wanting to hijack the dinner thread BUT just vegetables do not provide required protein unless of course one had enough protein at previous meals.  Especially important for us older folks, protein needs go up not down as we age.  My 2 cents worth and intended to help people be reflective of the nutritional content of their meals as well as enjoyment.

Agreed. And I could never be a vegetarian; I love meat too much. (I could never be Jewish nor Islamic, because I love pork too much, but that's a whole 'nother story.) It's just that, for some meals, meat is superfluous, taste-wise. (I'm cooking roast chicken tomorrow, though!)

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb yes, well just know that when you omit meat you are likely below protein needs for the day, of corse unless your previous meal was meat rich.  I am really just trying make us aware that it is difficult to get sufficient protein without meat.  With the caveat that vegetarians can plan their meals to include sufficient protein versus a person who decides not have meat at dinner without due meal planning.

:x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.43f2263c77105944fe8d9ccb3f3587d4.jpeg

quite often I am happy with just vegetables on my plate.  Or as a friend of mine once said at my dinner table, "I am not a vegetarian, I just don't need a huge hunk of protein on my plate."  

I'm a confirmed meat eater, but I have noticed that, when in a restaurant, the veg sides determine my choices more than not.

• Like 5

On 5/20/2017 at 9:03 PM, Okanagancook said:

@kayb yes, well just know that when you omit meat you are likely below protein needs for the day, of corse unless your previous meal was meat rich.  I am really just trying make us aware that it is difficult to get sufficient protein without meat.  With the caveat that vegetarians can plan their meals to include sufficient protein versus a person who decides not have meat at dinner without due meal planning.

:x

Or as I prefer when cooking for myself...I defer to our third president and use meat as an accent

Host's note: for the next inspiring segment of this extended topic, click here.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites