• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

image.thumb.jpeg.937b5d1c0a88d5a0b8128061c2d9bf74.jpeg

This was a purchased smoked duck breast. 

• Like 20

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Kim Shook, Thank you for the comment about the bread.  The glaze on top is a lightly beaten egg.  I might have added a splash of water too.  I don't remember if I added any water this time but sometimes I do.

Our dinner tonight was Vietnamese recipe for Chicken Wings and some stir fried vegetables

20170515_172600.jpg

20170515_173106.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, sartoric said:

More Indian food. Chickpea curry, mushroom curry, spicy potatoes, dal trevini, rice, naan bread. Served with mint raita, mango pickle and tomato chutney.IMG_3609.thumb.JPG.57277479b792ebf19f91dc91293f901a.JPG

That star-shaped plate with the mango pickle is amazing. (So is the food, but sometimes I get distracted.) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Started off with a beet and feta salad.  

Main dish was mushroom ravioli and saluted mushrooms 

I'm guessing "saluted" is a hyperactive autocorrect of "sautéed", but I may adopt it. Mushrooms should be saluted!

(To my surprise, a Google search shows the autocorrect to be quite common.)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Work night leftovers accompanied with a go of Tamaki Gold.  Sliced asparagus dressed with Kikkoman Marudaizu, rice vinegar, sesame oil.  Scallions and thin sliced rare tenderloin served cold, accompanied with Kikkoman wasabi sauce.  I was going to say no wasabi were harmed in the preparation, but in reading the label, a wasabi was once waved in its general direction.

Sake was Chokaisan junmai daiginjo.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Business trip to Tokyo. Went out with an old friend in Shinjuku to one of the back alley restaurants ...

"Motsuyaki" - char-grilled intestines (pork), tongue sashimi, some grilled tofu and liver/kidney/tendon stir-fry. The drink of choice in said establishment was frozen shochu "ice", topped with lemon and some lemonade. Powerful stuff !

WP_20170514_19_08_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20170514_19_15_56_Rich.jpg

WP_20170514_19_16_42_Rich.jpg

WP_20170514_19_22_00_Rich.jpg

WP_20170514_19_32_14_Rich.jpg

WP_20170514_19_36_31_Rich.jpg

WP_20170514_19_45_58_Rich.jpg

WP_20170514_19_50_03_Rich.jpg

WP_20170514_19_57_14_Rich.jpg

• Like 15

52 minutes ago, Duvel said:

tongue sashimi

Please do tell more about this. Which animal's tongue? I've always been led to believe that tongue needed to be cooked and peeled to be edible.

Very interesting dinner with many elements that are unfamiliar to me. It's also quite curious to see anyone smoking in a public venue anywhere in at least my small world. Is that common in Japan or anywhere else you know of? It's been legislated away even in tobacco producing states, like mine, in the US.

> ^ . . ^ <

The (pork) tongue was partly cooked. Essentially, they have a large pot of simmering intestine stew going on the whole day and the keep dunking the tongue in a couple of times, each time followed by a dip into ice water. I think the result would be somewhat like a sous vide tongue, albeit with short cooking time. It still had quite a bite ...

In these type of establishments it's common to accommodate smokers, as they do basically cater for the neighbors and salary men. Despite the fact that people smoke and they grill intestines on a charcoal grill in front of you, the ventilation system is top notch and as you leave you barely can notice any residual smell on you ...

• Like 4

16 hours ago, sartoric said:

More Indian food. Chickpea curry, mushroom curry, spicy potatoes, dal trevini, rice, naan bread. Served with mint raita, mango pickle and tomato chutney.IMG_3609.thumb.JPG.57277479b792ebf19f91dc91293f901a.JPG

I LOVE that star shaped bowl.  Love love love.

• Like 1

Yet another roadside dinner in the middle of nowhere in southern China. 9:30 pm.

20170516_213056.thumb.jpg.45a13547d378a45e7f838130c923fde5.jpg

The Menu

Everything is rice noodles with various accompaniments - snails, duck feet, beef, char siu, etc. The only exception is  炒面  chǎo miàn, which is fried wheat noodles or "chow mien". They also have 炒粉 chǎo fěn, or fried rice noodles, which is what I had.

20170516_213049.thumb.jpg.0d361db705bd314380f11234df732149.jpg

The Kitchen with seating at the rear.

20170516_212842.thumb.jpg.a748583113911b820e53aa3365d05152.jpg

The kitchen from the rear.

20170516_213606.thumb.jpg.294b9aa7b7e132efc2b014e2e97885af.jpg

炒粉 chǎo fěn

The noodles contained onion, carrot, red and green chilli, cabbage, green onion and pork.$1 USD for a large plate.

(Note that the plate is in a plastic bag to save on washing up!)

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Note that the plate is in a plastic bag to save on washing up!)

I will forget the scenes of the kitchen, forget the plate of food but forever and ever I will carry in my mind this plastic bag covered plate. No washing up and no paper plate that folds up on you just as you're about to dig in leaving you with a lap full of noodles.  No sassy plongeur to pay.  Minimal landfill.  Clever people.  

Edited to note:. Would be less successful with a steak and a steak knife. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Smoked Pork and Olive Salad Pie

The Dough 65% Hydrated AP flour w/ 30% cornmeal ( 2 day rise ) /  Smoked Pulled Pork/ Apple Vinegar based olive salad

I added Pecorino ( after this shot ) and finished in oven @ 450 

591b4c823a7e5_34646063276_c302692a7f_b1.thumb.jpg.bca3a2a474da67b5fbe1f1631e2c9238.jpg

• Like 8

Its good to have Morels

I think it is because of the price that spaghetti with shrimps is a special dish in my home. This time, to make a more extraordinary meal, I cooked black pasta stained with squid ink. It is an excellent base for shrimps, fresh green parsley and chili-garlic sauce.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
500g of cooked shrimps
4 cloves of garlic
1 chili pepper
100g of butter
150ml of dry white wine
a bunch of parsley
400g of spaghetti
50g of Parmesan
lemon
salt and pepper

If you have frozen shrimps, take them out of the freezer and defrost them. Boil the pasta so it is al dente. Slice the garlic and dice the chili pepper. Melt the butter in a pan, add the garlic, chili pepper and fry it for a while. Pour the wine in and boil at a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the shrimps and boil for 3-4 minutes. Spice it up with salt and pepper, turn off the heat and add the minced parsley. Mix the shrimps in with the pasta. If you like, sprinkle the dish with lemon juice and parmesan and decorate with parsley leaves.

DSC_0597a.jpg

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 12

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

image.thumb.jpeg.762518adc0721fae771e3a1cd78eda4e.jpeg

Two sides and no main.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

There are so many good inspirations on this topic!  I want to comment on them all, but I'll spare the reader.

@Kasia, your shrimp dish gives me an idea for my next shrimp-and-pasta dish.  I generally go heavy on things like lemon and garlic, but a bit of a chile kick sounds like a great idea.

@mm84321, that spinach looks like a smaller version of the cultivated spinach I see, but I've never seen wild spinach. Is it essentially the same cultivar, or is it a relative - say, the difference between cultivated asparagus and wild asparagus?

@mgaretz, how did you keep that bright green color in your Brussels sprouts? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Back home. Back in the kitchen.

Tonight.

Pig's kidney with shallots, garlic, chilli, olive oil and red wine.

Orzo "risotto" with coriander leaf and grana padano cheese. Steamed asparagus with Maldon sea salt  - my latest addiction.

dinner.thumb.jpg.9d59a9df84bb52358f80133b48ff7ccc.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

On 5/15/2017 at 7:04 PM, Anna N said:

image.thumb.jpeg.937b5d1c0a88d5a0b8128061c2d9bf74.jpeg

This was a purchased smoked duck breast. 

Guessing King Cole?  Old client of mine - they do some excellent stuff.  Try their Duck Confit legs, if you have not already.