• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

Chicken in coconut gravy, mustard cauliflower, radish leaf saag, paratha, matar pilau, potato & cabbage curry. Alongside, fresh tomato chutney, lime pickle, radish raita.

Whilst making so many different dishes is time consuming, I've got into the rhythm of using yesterday's leftovers to boost the number. In this case, the pilau, potato & cabbage and radish raita were holdovers.

IMG_3602.thumb.JPG.5e68fb8e039aa4790e4145a5d5387b92.JPG

I've posted a pictorial lesson on the fresh tomato chutney for anyone interested - check out the Indian cooking and baking forum. 

• Like 10

image.thumb.jpeg.c6511298ea39749f179b7b8c397ea346.jpeg

Somewhat adapted from a recipe in Six Seasons.  Hazelnuts instead of almonds and hazelnut oil instead of olive oil.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sorry folks but I had to give it a go.. Yes , for better or worse it does taste like special sauce. 

I will have to give a go to a full on big mac song recreation one of these days. 

iPF5GOi.jpg?1

• Like 7

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

@Kasia – your asparagus pastry is just gorgeous and I don’t even LIKE asparagus!

@robirdstx – is your taco shell homemade?  It looks so good!

@Norm Matthews – your bread is beautiful!  What did you brush it with for such a nice sheen?

Dinner last night included every cheese in the house and chicken noodle soup:

DSCN6955.JPG.525efb390d8a84461a7073ac74166bfd.JPG

From 12 o’clock – pimento cheese, aged Gouda, Asiago, Cheddar, pepperjack and some sheep’s milk cheese.

DSCN6956.JPG.b5ef6a82a0caf9d2ba35ab304c99fb6b.JPG

This was mostly a freezer gift – I had some Xmas turkey, chicken stock and veggies in the freezer.  Just added some noodles and it made surprisingly good, fast soup!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@robirdstx – is your taco shell homemade?  It looks so good!

Hi Kim,

The tortillas are made in house at my local Kroger. I usually just grab a 20 count package and put them in the freezer, to thaw and heat as needed.

• Like 1

I've been knee-deep in work since last week, this weekend I finally had some time for cooking.

English-Indian curry mini pies, flakey and crisp pastry, peas, carrots, beans, lentils, mushrooms, onion, light cream, spices (mostly cumin, turmeric, chili, cinnamon, pepper, a tad of cloves and fenugreek), parsley.

20170506_144418.thumb.jpg.a6b0cd2c5e6de1811dc99ae7ccf93786.jpg20170506_144451.thumb.jpg.84782862762afb35302ca6954a6be9ce.jpg20170506_150348.thumb.jpg.f68008d987691cbdf82a06c579b479bd.jpg

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

Yesterday I road tested my 50 cent op shop find, Flavours of India by Meena Patak (she married into the Patak empire).

Pork vindaloo, spicy potatoes, snow pea poriyal, dal triveni (so called because it has three types of lentil), rice, served with pappads, tomato chutney and mango pickle. The potatoes were the star, although the snow peas were a close second. The book is a definite keeper.

IMG_3607.thumb.JPG.640e3958797ab9b49161a1ce864e9021.JPG

• Like 11

This cookbook is also from a member of the Pathak family.  All the recipes I have made so far have been excellent.

The Indian Family Kitchen: Classic Dishes for a New Generation by Anjali Pathak

I am giving dosai a go on Thursday with a friend whose husband is gluten intolerant.  I have a mix and I am making the dough from scratch for comparison.

when you make yours do you heat the pan before adding the batter?

• Like 1

image.jpeg.584dcab31e59ebe6e284b49b6131f21a.jpeg

Started and ended today with a toastie. There are worse things.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

This cookbook is also from a member of the Pathak family.  All the recipes I have made so far have been excellent.

The Indian Family Kitchen: Classic Dishes for a New Generation by Anjali Pathak

I am giving dosai a go on Thursday with a friend whose husband is gluten intolerant.  I have a mix and I am making the dough from scratch for comparison.

when you make yours do you heat the pan before adding the batter?

Thanks for that link @Okanagancook, I'll have a read later.

Yes, definitely heat the pan. It needs to be hot enough that a few drops of water sizzle and disappear. The batter should be fairly runny, like pouring cream. I use a small ladle to spread the batter in a circular motion, cook for about 2 minutes then flip. There's lots of YouTube videos on the subject. Good luck !

Edited to add, she's the daughter of Meena, small world.

Edited by sartoric (log)

18 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Ashen  

where do you get the BigMac sauce ?

try one of these Rx's and report back  :

big mac sauce

or

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/McDonalds-Special-Sauce-Big-Mac-Sauce-Copycat-Recipe.html

Im, a big fan of Todd Wilber

had a decent TV show for a while too .

McDonald's is  selling Fillet O fish  , McChicken and Big Mac sauce at grocery stores here in Canada now.   Check this video out if you want  recipe straight from McDonalds. 

• Like 2

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Pork loin chops from Superstore labelled "Heritage" hormone/antibiotic free.  These were delicious. So tender and juicy.  Best loin chop I think I have had.  Asparagus; roast lemon pepper potatoes, a caper/mustard sauce and a few roasted shallots.  Not too much so we weren't stuffed afterwards.  I will be getting more of that pork for sure.

DSC01956.thumb.jpg.64e1844995f1011b3abecbc987a83f21.jpg

• Like 16