• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

My last stakes:

Ingredients: 
4 fillet steaks 
3 tablespoons of olive oil pepper 
pepper 

Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a baking sheet with some baking paper. 
Smooth the fillet steaks with the olive oil and spice them up with pepper. Heat a pan and fry the steaks well on both sides (about two minutes on each side). Put them on the baking sheet and bake for 2-3 minutes to make rare steaks, for 5 minutes for medium and 10 minutes for well-done steaks. I baked mine for 7 minutes and they were excellent. Take the meat out from the oven and let the steaks "rest" for 2-3 minutes. Serve with your favorite side dishes. 

DSC_0795a.jpg

• Like 12

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

image.jpeg.8a7476fa0510e96fd9d96525b92e2641.jpeg

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner at 2:00 am, don't ask.  Wish I could figure out how to embed the image but I have to be at work in a few hours.  It is never easy.

http://tribade.org/Food/Dinner05092017.png

Pan seared choice tenderloin on sale, roast potatoes in duck fat (I see no advantage over olive oil, personally), asparagus hollandaise Piment d'Espelette.

Edit:  as of this afternoon image embedding works again!

Dinner05092017.png

...and it's apparent I need better lighting in my dining room.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Chettinad black pepper chicken, potato and cauli curry, spinach paneer, rice, rotis, fresh tomato chutney, hot mango pickle. It pained me to rip perfectly good skin off these thighs, but that is the Indian way. Next time I'll leave it on.

IMG_3585.thumb.JPG.44040929695a205c0e2130e22b569ed8.JPG

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, sartoric said:

It pained me to rip perfectly good skin off these thighs, but that is the Indian way. Next time I'll leave it on.

Or get the best of both worlds. Remove the skin and slowly let it render until it is gorgeously crispy, sprinkle with a little salt and break it up as a garnish over the rice. 

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.8e842a27e76869aea57ecb15e3c20195.jpeg

Go ahead and call me a loose woman. I've taken up with another book. But the blame should fall squarely on the shoulders of @blue_dolphin.  Here's my proof!   This is a slightly modified version of a recipe from Six Seasons.  I reduced the amount of olive oil called for, did not peel the potatoes since they were too tiny, and finished it off with some Iberico ham.  

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight's dinner: "Take-away" Chinese. Pork fried rice, Kung Pao chicken, and egg roll. The rice is my Mom's recipe. The Kung Pao is from Serious Eats. The egg roll is from a little take away around the corner from the house. Mediocre egg rolls but satisfy a craving. Pardon the bite out of the egg roll. I was hungry. :D

Rice.jpg

KungPao.jpg

Plated.jpg

Edited by dhdav66 (log)
  • Like 14

"I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage." -- Erma Bombeck

On 5/8/2017 at 10:12 AM, liuzhou said:

fish.thumb.jpg.685eebeb216a7900d90f008e732bd714.jpg

Tonight's dinner in a roadside shack somewhere in southern China.

Charcoal grilled fish (some kind of carp, perhaps - the vendor wasn't too sure) with Chinese garlic chives, pickled green beans, daikon radish, beansprouts, ginger, garlic, chilli, crunchy roasted soy beans and a soy based sauce. Shared with one other. Very satisfying. We passed on rice.

The fish was cooked to perfecction with crisp skin and flaky white flesh.

That fish looks delectable.  I'd love to taste it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Luke said:

59124ae6e7ef3_IMG_2616(Medium).thumb.JPG.2c00045a48c19e2308fbe22f95cea510.JPG

Double Chilli Chicken..... finger licken' good...

You can read the pictorial recipe here: 

Please, pretty please give me the name of the restaurant...

Did some pork and clams with fermented black beans, chilli, Shaoxing wine and Chinese chives.

20170510_221659.thumb.jpg.5e270429a32a2683c38a50e19179e8ac.jpg

I had planned to do some asparagus with this, but in the end was too tired. it was after 10pm. Did do some rice, though.

• Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My latest soup - Cream of cauliflower-cheese soup. The variation with next vegetable.

Ingredients:
1 cauliflower
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon of butter
vegetable stock
100g of processed cheese
salt and pepper

Dice the onion and garlic and fry them in butter. Clean the cauliflower and break it up into florets. Put the cauliflower, onion and garlic into a pot. Pour the vegetable stock to cover the vegetables and boil until the cauliflower is soft. Add the processed cheese. When it has melted blend the soup thoroughly. Spice it up with salt and pepper. If necessary, add vegetable stock to make the right consistency.

DSC_0753a.jpg

• Like 17

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

He who must be fed is away on business, so I rescued this minestrone from the freezer and paired it with a couple of mustard pickle cheese toasties. The minestrone was a tad uninspiring until I whacked it with a teaspoon of harissa.

IMG_3586.thumb.JPG.649314c0528a69f92d0b5e39e3186b91.JPG

• Like 15

A very lazy mid week Thai green curry with chicken and rice.   Also one of my favourite dishes. 

IMG_20170506_193430.thumb.jpg.02c33392362c6d156d7fea4a6a9b3eae.jpg

I had trouble uploading this pic the other day. That's the second time this has happened. ??

• Like 14

image.thumb.jpeg.2e4fcb6b5d32d97953338183521b59b5.jpegd

I have made clear my feeling about beans on more than one occasion. But I have a taste memory of a butterbean and lamb casserole made by my (late) friend.  It was too simple to even require a recipe but I have never been able to (almost) nail it until today. Nothing more than lamb, onions, butterbeans, bay leaves and some water.  It really needs shoulder chops with a very generous margin of fat to melt into the beans.   These were a bit on the lean side. There are countless recipes for similar casseroles but they all call for multiple ingredients and most call for tomatoes.   This I knew was much less complicated and depended very much on the lamb flavour being dominant.  

After I took the photograph I sprinkled a generous quantity of C&B mint sauce on it because I was too lazy/tired to make my own.

The photo was taken with an ancient iPad because my iPhone is still in the restaurant where I had lunch!   No worries though it is being rescued. It is so ancient it is highly unlikely to be the target of theft.xD

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog