• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

More dosa, this time with a spicy potato filling, making it masala dosa. Seen here with eggplant leftover from yesterday, rice, sambar on the rice, two kinds of tomato chutney and lime pickle.

IMG_3564.thumb.JPG.1b84c1860338412700f8a8d5cee14b34.JPG

Close up of the potato mix, a few cashews added for crunch.

IMG_3563.thumb.JPG.b2df820c56c7830489806f09c2453054.JPG

• Like 16

@Kerala, The marinade is a mixture of about 3 heaping TBS of hot fermented soy bean paste (gochujang), 3/4 cup soy sauce, 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped, 1 thumb sized piece of peeled ginger, chopped, 2 TBS dark brown sugar, 1 TBS rice wine vinegar, 1/2 cup dry sherry and 1 TBS sesame oil. I blend these with an immersion blender then add 3 green onions chopped.

I truss the chicken tightly, snipping off the wing tips. The trussing keeps the plump shape for visual appeal. I put the trussed bird in a plastic bag, add the marinade and massage it in the bag to distribute the marinade evenly and leave it for a few hours to overnight. I put it on the rotisserie at 350 - 375 F, baste the bird every 20 minutes with the marinade, but do not baste it for the last half hour to be sure that the marinade has been cooked thoroughly. With my setup, a 5 lb bird takes 2 /1/2 hours, but that will vary, of course, with the size of the bird and your particular setup. No stuffing.  

HC                                                                                   

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

You may recall, when last we spoke -- due to a tragic error -- I was left with an impenetrable jar of pressure canned Rancho Gordo Rio Zape beans.

Jar05042017.png

Now, thanks to Kuhn Rikon and the miracle of amazon one day delivery:

Dinner05042017.png

The sous vide ribs tonight were reheated on steam bake in the CSO.  Much better texture than when reheated on the grill.  Store bought potato salad and Martin's potato roll.

My only regret was I could not finish everything.  Even with no lack of Soave and Zinfandel (not shown).

• Like 11

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I was trapped at my new home today waiting for someone to deliver a new washing machine and another someone to move my telecoms from the old place. Still no home internet. This comes via my cell phone. I'm told I'll be back in www.land tomorrow sometime.

Fortunately, before the chaos descended, I managed to do a little shopping. Some chicken legs, a fresh pineapple and some beautiful button mushrooms - the first of the season. Yes, button mushrooms are seasonal and that's how we get them here.

20170505_214136.thumb.jpg.4938f42ef6d3bb78e94c4b7d1eb415dc.jpg

So, chicken legs slow braised in soy sauce (with garlic, ginger, shallots and chilli). Pineapple chunks added for last 20 minutes. Stir fried mushrooms with more garlic and scallions. Rice.

Followed by mango ice cream (from local supermarket - respectable if not exemplary.)

I also managed to bake two loaves (banana bread and soda bread). Then washed a huge backlog of laundry. Busy day.

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Braised Beef in Verde Mole-

IMG_2018.JPG

This was one of those dishes where I just sort of mish-mashed ingredients and got lucky I suppose.  The sauce was a blend of a

prepared, bottled mole verde that has pumpkin seeds, spices, and a hint of Mexican chocolate.  I combined it with my

recipe for tomatillo salsa, which is a blend of roasted tomatillos, charred onion and garlic, Mexican oregano, then some toasted

cumin seeds and a bit of chili powder.

Beef chuck in the slow cooker with the sauce for about 6 hours.

• Like 12

Chicken thighs marinated in a mix of pomegranate molasses, garlic and chilli, baked cinnamon sweet potatoes, herby couscous and a few garden fresh rocket leaves.

IMG_3571.thumb.JPG.62570c834f89d75722f51f4a08bd66d9.JPG

• Like 14