• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

I've been wanting to get my BBq Spit out for months and I finally pulled my finger out.

Pork leg served with home made dinner rolls, Broccoli, over cooked Pumpkin and potatoes.

IMG_20170430_194000.thumb.jpg.b9b6149ee7db8b72ddbbc959820fbaa6.jpg

The potatoes are pouched in butter with garlic, thyme, rosemary and homemade chicken stock.  I saw this method years ago, I'm sure there is a name for it but I don't know what it is. ?

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

And now a confession.   There is really only one cooked element in this meal and that is the potatoes. Can you believe I managed to screw them up?  About half cooked to perfection confirming what I had determined with a sharp knife before I drained them.   The others were practically raw!   I am going to go on the assumption that the two potatoes are from a different batch, perhaps even a different breed.   When I bought potatoes this week I had one left.   But I tried two  potato hunks to make sure they were done.  What were the odds?

The potatoes I get here are downright weird and I haev had your experience. One perfectly yielding to the knife and the next rock hard.

I've taken to testing each one. Fortunately, I'm only cooking for myself, so there are never too many to test. And I don't eat potatoes so often.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The potatoes I get here are downright weird and I haev had your experience. One perfectly yielding to the knife and the next rock hard.

I've taken to testing each one. Fortunately, I'm only cooking for myself, so there are never too many to test. And I don't eat potatoes so often.

Very strange.  I could certainly have checked every one. It just never occurred to me to do so.   I have been cooking potatoes for more than 50 years and I don't think this ever happened before.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

SV "BBQ" flank steak, sweet potato wedges, slaw

0051.thumb.jpg.3d6114c6c7d2015b870cdf0ada4bf26a.jpg

Garlic/ginger sauced flank steak

053.thumb.jpg.b3326a87d1e8c3b5350fd1f813f0867a.jpg

SV lamb chops with sauteed mushrooms and barley "risotto"

019.thumb.jpg.2b4de9cd24aa261db2e1cbea6f05a8b9.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 16

So, I do all the meals and organizing around here.  I want to invole my DH more and I believe he is interested.  I usually do not have a plan of meals for the week.  I have a plethora of cookbooks, many I want cook from but have yet to cook from.  I go to the store and buy what looks good and then spend the next few days scrambling as to what to cook with said wonderful ingredients.

After a nice glass of Okanagan Chardonnay, I had an epiphany.  We will choose recipes from one cookbook for the week AND my DH is charged with participating to come up with a week.

We shall see how this goes but I am fed up with scrambling.

Tonight it is Hockey playoffs and our team is playing so it is curry dinner from the freezer for DH and a salad for me, made in advance.  After our enormous lunch we will see if any gets eaten.

Note, no dinner.  We were still full!  Going shopping this morning with a limited shopping list.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 6

Two dishes from Diana Henry's Simple.  Pork tenderloin, cooked sous vide and seared, is standing in for chops in the recipe with a mustard & caper cream sauce served with baby potatoes with watercress & garlic cream.

IMG_5121.thumb.jpg.37b40a51b901227c1f87b24a89a64a28.jpg

These two are perhaps not a perfect pairing - not sure I needed two dishes with cream sauces on one plate.  Still, it was an enjoyable Sunday supper.

• Like 18

On 4/28/2017 at 0:06 AM, mm84321 said:

Moroccan lamb pizza served from a shipping container in the "restart" area of Christchurch, NZ. Tasty, crispy, delicious. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Really looks tasty.  lots of nice char as a base.  Were the greens a second trip into the oven?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Very strange.  I could certainly have checked every one. It just never occurred to me to do so.   I have been cooking potatoes for more than 50 years and I don't think this ever happened before.  

Indeed strange, I concur.  Could there be some other explanation?  Maybe some pieces of potato in water and some not?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I checked my triglycerides mid-week and they were only moderately elevated.  I felt kind of bad for passing up the PopEyes Fried Chicken earlier so I prepared a nice dinner of fried oysters and catfish with a greek wannabe salad to bring the cholesterol levels into historic ranges.  Our cat was evaluating a slightly larger box at the same time and ultimately decided the previous box was fine.

P1050805RC.thumb.jpg.ebae38730d0af023c0462979891a2ea9.jpg

Tonight was a little home cooking Italian style -mushroom ravioli with ricotta and baby bella's. Last week I made a green casunziei with vidalia onion, ricotta and potato filling.  I going to prepare a stuffed pasta tri-fecta for a derby party next weekend.

P1050812RC.thumb.jpg.18021b66c89b54d5ec9f653b942fc5a8.jpg

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Indeed strange, I concur.  Could there be some other explanation?  Maybe some pieces of potato in water and some not?

No because I was carefully following the Zuni recipe with respect to both water quantity and salt  concentration.  There was plenty of water to cover the potatoes. And it was not size either. I did my best to keep the sizes even but the uncooked ones were not the largest pieces. I am quite convinced they were two potatoes from different varieties. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

Really looks tasty.  lots of nice char as a base.  Were the greens a second trip into the oven?

I don't think so. They were just some raw mustard like greens. It really was an excellent pizza.

• Like 1

Tonight was fettuccine in cream sauce with peas.  Something I've delightfully made many times before.

It was vile.  Vile.

Particularly considering the amount of work involved.  And the zinfandel was oxidized and flat.  Might have been better had I rolled the pasta thicker.  Then again, maybe not.  A waste of good ingredients.

Left me longing for my paramour the green fairy.  It's so hard to seduce a proper glass of Whistlepig to bed.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Bet somebody in your life warned you there'd be days like this. :) Bet they didn't warn you how many or how often.   I wish you a better day today.  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night I had a dear friend coming over. we felt like cooking a small spring menue. this is the result: 

porcelain coated asparagus, raw marinated asparagus, lardo, miso fermented egg yolk

char, sorrel butter, buttermilk fried citrus, chive oil

goats cheeses, asparagus jam, honey from black garlic, fried white walnut

rhubarb: mousse, gel, ginger sponge, icecream, crispy milk crumble

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

• Like 14

@jvalentino

that baked pasta dish looks fantastic.

baked pasta ( all kinds ) is one of my favorite meals :   so many different textures and flavors in each bite

@gfweb  

as usual might fine looking food !    the lamb looks perfect !

I might have to treat myself to a rack from TJ's    they have some fine Fz racks from Canada .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

I checked my triglycerides mid-week and they were only moderately elevated.  I felt kind of bad for passing up the PopEyes Fried Chicken earlier so I prepared a nice dinner of fried oysters and catfish with a greek wannabe salad to bring the cholesterol levels into historic ranges.  Our cat was evaluating a slightly larger box at the same time and ultimately decided the previous box was fine.

P1050805RC.thumb.jpg.ebae38730d0af023c0462979891a2ea9.jpg

Tonight was a little home cooking Italian style -mushroom ravioli with ricotta and baby bella's. Last week I made a green casunziei with vidalia onion, ricotta and potato filling.  I going to prepare a stuffed pasta tri-fecta for a derby party next weekend.

P1050812RC.thumb.jpg.18021b66c89b54d5ec9f653b942fc5a8.jpg

Woooo Hooooo!!!!!!  5 more days :) 

30 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

Id very much like to see more details on your Ckicken Pot-Less pie above

both the biscuits and the Chicken and gravy

looks delicious.

Thank you :)  

I followed this recipe  --except I didn't use zucchini and I used SV'd chicken breast --as you know, very tender and good.  And, I only put 5 biscuits on the pie, the rest I baked separately because they wouldn't fit in my pan.  Oh, and I used a lot more spices.  More salt, pepper, lemon pepper and thyme.

Spaghetti red last night

5907376f68677_photo104.JPG.ae5bfd6823a38887b2011a04dd1759b0.JPG

• Like 7

Today I have a recipe for those who would like to eat something more sophisticated than pieces of sausage on a stick, caught on the fly from the fridge (I do it myself sometimes), and who don't have enough time for shopping and cooking. Wholemeal pasta with courgette and goat cheese - the basis of my dish could be groats, rice or pasta. I chose wholemeal penne. Grilled courgette, goat cheese, cherry tomatoes and black olives meant that the dish almost jumped onto the fork by itself. Even my children appreciated it.

Ingredients (for 4 people):
200g of wholemeal penne
2 small courgettes (about 500g)
100g of goat cheese with herbs for salads
16 cherry tomatoes
12 olives
4 sprigs of rosemary
3 tablespoons of oil
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of olive oil with chili pepper
half a clove of garlic
salt and pepper

DSC_0945b blog.jpg

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 10

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Farmer's ham of Eifel (a big area around here). Asparagus comes from Bruchsal in south western Germany.

Z8GD8OG.jpg

Sow's stomach in the style of Pfalz. It's not sausage and not haggis. (Name in German is Saumagen)

A6XuEVl.jpg

3 Riesling with my asparagus.

KMREi1M.jpg

Making my Riesling dream come true! First Riesling last night upon my arrival.

HyjyoAu.jpg

The Riesling was drank with dinner, which I brought with me from home knowing everything was closed on sunday.

t4myQZ0.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 14

@BonVivant, you post some fine-looking meals, and drinks to go with them.  What sort of seasonings go into the Saumagen?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Germans use marjoram in sausages and soups, and is also found in Saumagen. The "sausage" is formed with finely minced pork, potatoes, garlic, marjoram, nutmeg and parsley. It was invented to use up leftover bits and pieces. The lowly home-made dish now even served in some (semi) fancy restaurants.

• Like 2