• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

Goat meat patties (using the new meat grinder) spiced with cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger and chilli, oven baked okra (thanks to @Okanagancook, another vegetable makes it off the avoid list), chick pea curry with radish leaves, rice, roti paratha, parripu dal curry, mint & coriander chutney, tomato chutney, lime pickles.

IMG_3548.thumb.JPG.de6394ba2f877e9a92bf1c233aad1cb5.JPG

• Like 10

@sartoric, another excellent way to cook okra is panfried. Cut the okra in about half-inch slices and let it sit in a bowl for 20 minutes or so to let it ooze a bit. Then shake it in a bag with cornmeal, salt and pepper and just a bit of flour. Fry in about 1/4 inch of medium hot oil; you can crowd your pan, but leave it in a single layer. When it starts to brown, turn it with a spatula and let it fry just a few minutes more; you want from golden to darker brown.

Let it drain on a paper towel for a bit, and eat while it's hot. 

It's a Southern USA classic. And I am cooking some for my family tomorrow!

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Early dinner tonight: Shrimp boil.

59051f2b81dd1_shrimpboil.jpg.6bb6d646ceada752c9ef70e40e910017.jpg

Shrimp had been frozen for a while in a plastic tub of water, so I put them out yesterday morning to thaw for last night. Didn't want them last night, so they went back in the fridge. Happened on good, fresh corn at a produce market (Florida, no doubt, but still good!), along with new potatoes. Boiled it up tonight in a one-pot progressive fashion -- potatoes for 15 minutes, corn added for five, shrimp added and cooked just until the water boiled again.

It might be noted that a ketchup:horseradish ratio of 2:1 is just a TAD too horseradish-y. Not much...but a little.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

@sartoric your curry dinner looks delicious.  We always have Dahl and either rice or flat breads.  My favourite lentil to use is oiled toovar  Dahl which are split and shelled pigeon peas.  The oiled just seems better than the dry.  It does take a lot of washing though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kayb said:

I cannot see shad without thinking of Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, who with a significant portion of his father's army, was captured at Five Forks in 1865 during the retreat from Richmond after stopping for a shad bake, as shad were running on the Nottoway River. (Gratuitous history trivia.)

I've never had shad. What's it similar to?

Shad is my favorite fish.  In Lambertville NJ, not far from here they have an annual shad festival as the shad migrate up the Delaware.  In taste I'd say shad is somewhat similar to bluefish.  I would only cook with shad if it were professionally boned.  The shad season is so short I have missed it the last two years.  There is a market four miles from here that carries shad in season.  Four miles is pushing it for how far I can walk (over a mountain).  When last I made it there they cheerfully said come back tomorrow when we have our delivery.  That market will deliver for a $20 fee and now I am sorely tempted.

George Washington obtained much of his wealth from farming shad on the Potomac.  I recall shad was fed to slaves, much as how lobster was fed to unfortunate prisoners in the penitentiaries in the North East states.

Dinner here was a bit of pork I found in the refrigerator.  Brussel sprouts and roast potatoes al a Kenji.  So good.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

After finding Romaine lettuce after a long and fruitless search, dinner was feta "cigars". That's crumbled feta strewn along the spine of a leaf and rolled up and eaten out of hand. This was accompanied by Campari tomatoes, perpperoncini and reheated crusty bread with butter. That was all I had because I've been craving this since the produce shortage from the California floods. 

Since my oven has been broken, I have really gotten a lot of use out of my smallest cast aluminum Dutch oven. It took me a while to figure out how to use it. For heating the bread slices (one at a time) I preheated the pot on only warm on my electric stove for ten or fifteen minutes. When the lid is almost too hot to touch briefly, it's ready. The foil-wrapped thick slice goes in for five minutes, gets flipped, and heated for another five minutes. I even cooked shortcake in there one night to serve with strawberries. It's incredible how low the heat has to be for it to work well. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, this range will boil a gallon of tap water in about fifteen minutes on high in a stainless steel pot. On warm, that water would not come to a boil ever. It might simmer in my lifetime, but probably not. I might see if I can boil water faster in the thick aluminum pots, because I cook a lot of pasta.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

On 2017-04-28 at 4:53 AM, rarerollingobject said:

Lazy chick's dinner; yukhoe oshi zushi; beef tartare (chopped raw eye fillet) with garlic, soy sauce, black pepper, sesame oil and honey, compacted into an oshi zushi mold with sesame oil and salt rice, a layer of toasted Korean crispy seaweed, and topped with black sesame seeds and shredded perilla leaves.

IMG_4872.thumb.JPG.0320e6a439f6abf6cae4cc3a43365edf.JPG

Very nice! I will try to reproduce this one day!

• Like 2

image.jpeg.5e5bf6c4027d2ecab74c2624f320157a.jpeg

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Finally cooked a meal in my new kitchen. 

20170430_213609.thumb.jpg.a1b599e6c3aac5f5d74d48c28697ce76.jpg

Garlic Chicken with Asparagus.

Chicken breast marinated in white wine with garlic (lots) and lemon zest. Coloured the chicken in the wok with olive oil then added the marinade, green chillies, capers, asparagus and scallions. I felt it was drying out too quickly, so added a spash of the wine.

I had planned to serve this with couscous, but couldn't find it - so rice.

And have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

• Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.5e5bf6c4027d2ecab74c2624f320157a.jpeg

Love the broccoli stem salad!

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Finally cooked a meal in my new kitchen. 

20170430_213609.thumb.jpg.a1b599e6c3aac5f5d74d48c28697ce76.jpg

Garlic Chicken with Asparagus.

Chicken breast marinated in white wine with garlic (lots) and lemon zest. Coloured the chicken in the wok with olive oil then added the marinade, green chillies, capers, asparagus and scallions. I felt it was drying out too quickly, so added a spash of the wine.

I had planned to serve this with couscous, but couldn't find it - so rice.

And have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Did you enjoy your new kitchen?

Ronnie came in very early in the day yesterday to ask me if I wanted him to take anything out of the freezer for dinner.  

Translation=please don't throw hot dogs on a plate again tonight lol.  

So, since it was a very cold and rainy day I thought chicken pot pie sounded good.  I sous vide a couple of chicken breasts and away I went.  I had plans to make crust  but after perusing the interwebs I decided on cream cheese buttermilk biscuits to top it with.  I always make mashed potatoes to go with this and we also had some sprouts.   I should make this more often.  Twas a hit.

5905f24ff153e_photo101.JPG.eef5e6a199264e0616731a08e8b47924.JPG

5905f2592b763_photo102.JPG.46de487b73dfff01c5a14eb9cebc119d.JPG

• Like 15

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Did you enjoy your new kitchen?

To be honest, not a lot. It is still a bit chaotic, but I can see how it will come together to my liking. First priority is to improve the lighting. These old eyes need good light.

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Oh @Shelby

chicken pot pie has been on my mind for ages, ages and yours looks so good. Just added it to my list which is getting long enough to wrap around the world twice.  

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Oven "barbecued" brisket with bacon chipotle sauce on light brioche slider buns.

FB_IMG_1493583744594.jpg

• Like 15

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Tandoori chicken, zucchini masala, parripu dal curry, rice, naan, fresh tomato chutney, date & tamarind chutney.

IMG_3552.thumb.JPG.fac3fb7bf43b6f6173ebdd4fbe96ae99.JPG

The chicken was the star of this show, guess I'm not turning vegetarian.

• Like 12

Cappelletti - filled blended with peas, mint, pecorino romano, pepper, nutmeg, a touch of honey. Sauced with butter and lemon zest. More peas, grated pecorino, sesame seeds, pepper. Freshly made ricotta.

20170429_204216.thumb.jpg.f092cd97e578ae95ed47d5eae7c1f9ee.jpg20170429_201647.thumb.jpg.b986fe59b6dd6510bd7b007391e64539.jpg

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

image.thumb.jpeg.eacb9e967602a9dd5dd09228cdfaf43b.jpeg

From the Zuni Café cookbook.   I won't deny that jarred roasted peppers are convenient but damn they're not as good as when you roast your own as I did here.   And now a confession.   There is really only one cooked element in this meal and that is the potatoes. Can you believe I managed to screw them up?  About half cooked to perfection confirming what I had determined with a sharp knife before I drained them.   The others were practically raw!   I am going to go on the assumption that the two potatoes are from a different batch, perhaps even a different breed.   When I bought potatoes this week I had one left.   But I tried two  potato hunks to make sure they were done.  What were the odds?  Hypothetically speaking, of course.   I was alone and I enjoyed my dinner and had to make no apologies to anyone.  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

antipasto

antipasto.thumb.jpg.cfd7ec21f8ed48bc812219a103ffa596.jpg

1 hour ago, shain said:

Cappelletti - filled blended with peas, mint, pecorino romano, pepper, nutmeg, a touch of honey. Sauced with butter and lemon zest. More peas, grated pecorino, sesame seeds, pepper. Freshly made ricotta.

20170429_204216.thumb.jpg.f092cd97e578ae95ed47d5eae7c1f9ee.jpg20170429_201647.thumb.jpg.b986fe59b6dd6510bd7b007391e64539.jpg

@liamsaunt, I could cheerfully eat that meal every night for a month. (I am not sure what I did in the quoting process, but it glued yours and @shain's posts together so I cannot comment in between them.)

@shain, that looks absolutely delightful. Also much more work than I am likely to do.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

image.thumb.jpeg.eacb9e967602a9dd5dd09228cdfaf43b.jpeg

From the Zuni Café cookbook.   I won't deny that jarred roasted peppers are convenient but damn they're not as good as when you roast your own as I did here.   And now a confession.   There is really only one cooked element in this meal and that is the potatoes. Can you believe I managed to screw them up?  About half cooked to perfection confirming what I had determined with a sharp knife before I drained them.   The others were practically raw!   I am going to go on the assumption that the two potatoes are from a different batch, perhaps even a different breed.   When I bought potatoes this week I had one left.   But I tried two  potato hunks to make sure they were done.  What were the odds?  Hypothetically speaking, of course.   I was alone and I enjoyed my dinner and had to make no apologies to anyone.  

That dinner looks pretty fine as well, and as I enjoy raw potatoes (I routinely munch three or four cubes while dicing them for something) I would not hesitate at underdone ones. 

Sunday dinner today:

59066f02cdae4_sundaydinner0430.jpg.9e2044c7bbd5534cded31ce2ddb4ae63.jpg

A piece of pork butt, sprinkled down with a garlic-honey rub I bought at Sam's and then refrigerated overnight, then braised for five hours at 300F in hard cider. Quite good. Accompanied by baked beans (RG alubia blanco, cooked done and then slow-cooked with tomato sauce, molasses, brown sugar, mustard. I have a son-in-law who's averse to onions, not the flavor, just the texture, so I cooked the beans with a quartered onion in the pot and then pulled it out), fried okra, and a blast from the past for the kids, cheesy potatoes. It's a potato gratin of sorts, made by dicing and boiling potatoes, then making a cheese sauce, adding the potatoes in, and baking with a parmesan-bread crumb topping. 

Strawberry shortcake, not shown because I haven't eaten it yet, for dessert.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

We had a cold front come through last night that lowered our recent overnight temps from the high 70s to the 60s, so I took this, probably last of the season, opportunity to make what I consider a cool/cold weather dinner.

IMG_0435.thumb.JPG.d14a69bc32a6bce6f8819245bf1d9643.JPG

Braised Flat Iron Steak with Green Beans and Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 9