• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

By happenstance yesterday I purchased a jar of commercially made tamarind chutney from nuts.com.  I am fond of tamarind, the local store even stocks it sometimes.  Sadly I have no idea how to shell and prepare tamarind.

Preparing the tamarind was indeed a pain in the butt, but it was a very interesting pain in the butt. I'm glad I did it, but it is unlikely I'll ever do it again. What kind of tamarind chutney did you buy? I'd like to use up the rest of the paste I made, but I may well succumb to buying a jar of tamarind chutney, especially one that comes recommended.

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That is so beautiful!  Had you not said what it was I would have liked it two times over.

Not a fan of raw beef? Surprise Yukhoe for dinner is my 'I've worked a 16 hour day today and I'm now too tired to actually cook this steak' special.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

Preparing the tamarind was indeed a pain in the butt, but it was a very interesting pain in the butt. I'm glad I did it, but it is unlikely I'll ever do it again. What kind of tamarind chutney did you buy? I'd like to use up the rest of the paste I made, but I may well succumb to buying a jar of tamarind chutney, especially one that comes recommended.

https://nuts.com/cookingbaking/spreads/chutney/tamarind.html

I should receive the shipment later today.  I highly recommend nuts.com but cannot recommend the tamarind chutney yet as I have not tried it.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, cakewalk said:

@sartoric, please tell me about your tamarind chutney. I have quite a bit of tamarind paste left over from my Fun with Meatballs, but I have no idea what to do with it. Maybe I can make a chutney?

The tamarind chutney pictured was a commercial brand lurking in the back of the fridge. I have made this recipe for date and tamarind chutney, http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/tamarind-date-chutney-recipe-sweet-chutney-for-chaat/. It's a great website, I use it a lot.

There's also another type of tamarind that I bought in my indian shop. It's called black tamarind and has a smoky flavour. 

• Like 4

Doesn't get a lot more basic, or country, than my dinner last night: brown beans and a baked sweet potato. I had leftover ham, but couldn't be troubled to get it out of the fridge.

5903571b713ec_beansandsweetpotatoes.jpg.9d14cbbe1fac791c93d9a5c63f626edb.jpg

I had a half-pound of Rancho Gordo mayacoba beans, which are my favorite for a no-frills cooked bean. I cooked these on the bean setting, no soaking, with a bay leaf and some onion and garlic in the IP, and then salted them and left them on low for a couple of hours. The sweet potatoes got an hour at 400F, steam bake, in the CSO and were perfect. Or at least they were with the addition of a copious amount of butter.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

49 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Woodworking shop is the plan.

HC

Damn and I had visions of an Escalade up there!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Shelby said:

Congratulations @HungryChris !

I made Ann T's lemon pepper chicken wings last night.  Leftover gravy (I know, weird) and mashed taters and onions and asparagus from the garden.

Thanks, a bunch @Shelby and as a matter of fact we'll be having asparagus from the garden tonight for the first time after a four year effort!!!

HC

• Like 3

On the rare occasions we have takeaway, it's either Chinese from the local mom & pop restaurant near us, or pizza. If it's Chinese, I have to have the chicken chow mien with crispy noodles. 

Here I've tried to recreate it. Sadly, my noodles weren't as good as Mr Fongs. It was okay, but not an Indian feast (uttered by he who must be fed).

IMG_3542.thumb.JPG.7eb2408a9e629457289c58f27db8dc19.JPG

Followed by a ginger and cardamom poached pear with triple choc pudding and double cream.

IMG_3544.thumb.JPG.8adfb2926ea27b96f29ad16959e0e7ef.JPG

• Like 12

Last night:

ChickenMechoui04272017.png

Chicken mechoui turning on the spit.  (Paula Wolfert, The Food of Morocco p 315.)  Served with salads and ciabatta.  And by coincidence the same photograph works for tonight.

• Like 13

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I know "pics or it didn't happen" but last night's dinner was braised curly kale with fine diced red onion, red jalapeño  and garlic.   Seasoned with s/p and Greek oregano.  Red wine and Balsalmic vinegars  added to brighten and sweeten the dish. 

This was the side to pan seared fresh Mahi.

A side of corn bread would have been nice but didn't happen.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Connecticut River Shad, asparagus from the garden and chive buttered boiled potatoes.

HC

IMG_1999.thumb.JPG.a68d691874a114c57920d4a9722bf072.JPGIMG_2000.thumb.JPG.bb30555c938a963ab81120951f1e7a9c.JPG

I cannot see shad without thinking of Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, who with a significant portion of his father's army, was captured at Five Forks in 1865 during the retreat from Richmond after stopping for a shad bake, as shad were running on the Nottoway River. (Gratuitous history trivia.)

I've never had shad. What's it similar to?

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I did not feel like cooking last night and I wasn't very hungry...not a good combo for creativity lol.  So, hotdogs with homemade buns and frozen waffle fries were on the menu.  I usually boil our hotdogs in beer but we were out,  so in honor of @HungryChris I decided to make dirty water dogs.  I've never seen one in person, much less eaten one so I had no idea what I was doing.  The recipe that I settled on was : 2 quarts of water, 2 T. red wine vinegar, 1/8 t. nutmeg and a pinch of cumin.  Is that traditional?  Anyway, I simmered the dogs in there for a good 30 mins or so.  The hotdogs shrunk in size big time lol so there are 2 pictured on one bun.  

5904a5eda80e9_photo100.JPG.32b1c3fb4391d6b7af534a15a4a3bf41.JPG

• Like 10

Indonesian dinner (I always feel uneasy when claiming to make food from a culture that I'm so far from really knowing in depth).

Nasi Kuning - rice with fresh turmeric and coconut. Topped with extra stir fried turmeric. 
(A probably bastardized) Sambal Goreng - Green beans in sambal with plenty of chilies, garlic, ginger and some tamarindi. Some grated coconut. Tempeh, shallow fired with potato starch coating (agedashi tofu style). The tempeh is on the side to stay crisp, but mixed with the sambal while eating.

20170428_204615.thumb.jpg.ffaea359866c4e799a0001c0a1a25410.jpg20170428_204624.thumb.jpg.4a11f0935fd45429af6207175e4bb3bf.jpg

I don't know I so rarely eat tempeh, it's really nice (although expensive. I kind of want to try and make some).

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

5 hours ago, kayb said:

I cannot see shad without thinking of Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, who with a significant portion of his father's army, was captured at Five Forks in 1865 during the retreat from Richmond after stopping for a shad bake, as shad were running on the Nottoway River. (Gratuitous history trivia.)

I've never had shad. What's it similar to?

I think the American shad is the largest member of the herring family. It has a creamy texture when cooked and is quite good. It also takes very well to being smoked. It is such a bony fish that filleting it is a real art which adds to the price. It is celebrated this time of year in these parts and then it's gone until next year.

HC

• Like 1