• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

@Shelby, another tasty way to prepare fresh artichokes that I've enjoyed is to steam them, cut in half, brush liberally with vinagrette, and grill to get some nice marks.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

...Anyway,  Ronnie had never had a fresh one before, only the canned kind (which he does not like) so I thought I'd make one to see what he thought. 

And?...what did he think of the fresh version of artichokes? Did he give them a thumbs up or thumbs down?

I think artichoke leaves are just a delivery system for whatever you dip them in. ;)

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

11 minutes ago, Toliver said:

And?...what did he think of the fresh version of artichokes? Did he give them a thumbs up or thumbs down?

I think artichoke leaves are just a delivery system for whatever you dip them in. ;)

He wasn't super impressed lol.  

A Thai green chicken wing curry with zucchini and green beans. Served (untraditionally, but on a what's in the fridge basis) with mint raita and pappads. I made this curry paste a while ago and was disappointed then, and again now. Despite adding extra green chillies, extra ginger and garlic, extra lemongrass and even more chilli powder, the curry was lacklustre. The rest of the paste is going in the bin.

IMG_3535.thumb.JPG.da397655f8a2296c6bf5e7cade7a88dc.JPG

To compensate our ordinary curry, I cracked open a triple choc pudding that came in a Christmas hamper, served with rum custard sauce (also in the hamper) and vanilla ice cream. Ahhhh, that's better.

IMG_3537.thumb.JPG.8af46ff2e7569d72f35b7aa7d437d41e.JPG

Edited by sartoric
Spelling (log)
  • Like 12

Fish Pie.DSC02173.thumb.JPG.94734fd1357b36c9cff327ffc3c9fed5.JPG

Fish Pie.DSC02175.thumb.JPG.dc86e55c1e3189c102a0e587635885fe.JPG

Eggs apparently mandatory, who knew? Haddock, salmon, pollock, king prawns. There's a dash of turmeric in the roux to add a little bit of mystery. The yolk has blackened, but tastes great. I don't think it's a sin, is it? Keepin' it rustic.DSC02180.thumb.JPG.defb7d10e01321efea2d543260fb98a3.JPG

Mangoes for dessert, from our own trees back home. Delicious!

• Like 12

Love this thread.  Such wonderful meals

Tonight I sear some Cobia topped with a pineapple core/ring dice (gots to use up the core) cooked in brown butter  served it with a sweet potato vanilla bean mash with red  jalapeño's and chopped pistachio nuts. The Cobia was cooked to just done, a tad  pink in the middle

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 11

Kind of a repeat of the Cod with a crab & herb crust I made recently from Diana Henry's Simple.  I had some cod that I'd targeted for another dish but wasn't in the mood for that so I mixed up a bit more of the crab-bread crumb topping and cooked up the orzo with lemon & parsley, also from Simple. I roasted some broccolini in the same pan as the fish and dinner was served. 

IMG_5075.jpg

• Like 12

My husband had his dinner earlier so he could attend an event. On my own for dinner offered an opportunity to have something he would not care for! Thanks to @Shelby for the reminder to have an artichoke. I made it my dinner tonight. Trimmed and wrapped in cling wrap, then cooked on high for 5 minutes in the microwave. Rested for a couple minutes and served with melted butter.

IMG_0423.thumb.JPG.445606de450f65679085c0d5eb7a1cdf.JPG

Ready to dig in!

IMG_0424.thumb.JPG.e05640764eb45e9c3c7ec7ca67439a7b.JPG

Getting there!

IMG_0425.thumb.JPG.26e503ec1fe963bbd8fd5fef1b1cfa8b.JPG

Down to the good stuff!

• Like 12

image.jpeg.ee60c2c211af50f155e0f1475d56f894.jpeg

I think I might have had my fill of lamb for a while.  These two were left over from dinner a night or two ago. I reheated them and brushed them with chipotle sauce before giving them a quick tan under the broiler.  

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Birthday dinner for my GF last saturday. For starter deepfried sweetbreads, with mushrooms, soyabeans and trufflesauce.

DSC_0573.thumb.JPG.d585aa75bd835070d3261ffea5fc930c.JPG

Main course entrecôte from rubia gallega, sv 54c and fried in a grillpan. Toped with deep fried pulled beef and sauce with tamarind, star anise, palm suger and lime.

DSC_0577_01.thumb.JPG.416d4d8f2fcf1bbbb805ae9b88301a12.JPG

• Like 16

We had a using up leftovers kinda night planned, then a friend turned up. She didn't look like leaving and what would have been roti paratha (only 2 left) became fresh Lebanese pita bread. Oh well.

Sambar with cooked rice to thicken, pita bread, plus assorted chutneys and pickles. Punjabi pickled vegetables, tamarind chutney (both from waaay back in the fridge) fresh tomato chutney, and the eggplant from a few days ago mashed and zapped. Not shown, a bowl of plain yoghurt as the sambar was very spicy.

Tissues all round and I'm gaining control of the fridge !

IMG_3539.thumb.JPG.293c3179d5765ef2001c25a02880114a.JPG

• Like 15

44 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@sartoric Good scrambling to feed your visitor O.o

By the way, while you are on an East Indian bent, try the baked okra from this site, absolutely my favourite curry okra dish and so easy.  I make a 1/2 recipe for the two of us:

http://www.rashmisrecipes.com/2011/10/okra.html

Thanks for that @Okanagancook, I'm working my way up to okra. I've only cooked it once before, it was slimy and horrible, but that was years ago. It's not very common here, but I did see some at the farmers market last week. The recipe looks delicious !

23 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Thanks for that @Okanagancook, I'm working my way up to okra. I've only cooked it once before, it was slimy and horrible, but that was years ago. It's not very common here, but I did see some at the farmers market last week. The recipe looks delicious !

This recipe is not slimy at all.  We have been offered okra quite regularly at our large supermarket.  I see a lot of people buying it and I always make a point of buying it if it is good.  Speaking of which, yesterday at the okra bin a lady was carefully selecting okra.  I said it is nice to see they are bringing okra in regularly.  She said you need to evaluate each pod by bending the tip.  If it snaps it is fresh, if it doesn't it is old.   Nice!

• Like 1

My take on the recipe for crab & peas with casarecce from Diana Henry's Simple with farfalle standing in for a pasta shape missing from my pantry. Very quick and easy. I liked using fresh sugar snap peas, English peas and pea shoots all together in one dish. Nice contrast of textures with crisp sugar snaps, toothsome pasta and tender crab but even with extra lemon juice, I found it lacking in flavor contrast. Maybe I under seasoned but I prefer to bursts of salty ingredients over using more salt alone so I added slivers of preserved lemon peel and a bit of feta cheese. Both are nice although the preserved lemon suits the dish a bit better and is what I will add next time.

IMG_5082.thumb.jpg.53a5ceee294d0c390368441d484d6def.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 12

Lazy chick's dinner; yukhoe oshi zushi; beef tartare (chopped raw eye fillet) with garlic, soy sauce, black pepper, sesame oil and honey, compacted into an oshi zushi mold with sesame oil and salt rice, a layer of toasted Korean crispy seaweed, and topped with black sesame seeds and shredded perilla leaves.

IMG_4872.thumb.JPG.0320e6a439f6abf6cae4cc3a43365edf.JPG

• Like 17

3 hours ago, cakewalk said:

@sartoric, please tell me about your tamarind chutney. I have quite a bit of tamarind paste left over from my Fun with Meatballs, but I have no idea what to do with it. Maybe I can make a chutney?

By happenstance yesterday I purchased a jar of commercially made tamarind chutney from nuts.com.  I am fond of tamarind, the local store even stocks it sometimes.  Sadly I have no idea how to shell and prepare tamarind.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

34 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Lazy chick's dinner; yukhoe oshi zushi; beef tartare (chopped raw eye fillet) with garlic, soy sauce, black pepper, sesame oil and honey, compacted into an oshi zushi mold with sesame oil and salt rice, a layer of toasted Korean crispy seaweed, and topped with black sesame seeds and shredded perilla leaves.

IMG_4872.thumb.JPG.0320e6a439f6abf6cae4cc3a43365edf.JPG

That is so beautiful!  Had you not said what it was I would have liked it two times over.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou