• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

A dinner from Diana Henry's Simple.  Cod with a crab & herb crust, roast potatoes with chili, mint & preserved lemon, and broccoli with harissa & cilantro gremolata. Loved the fish and the crème fraîche watercress sauce with shallot and capers. Love the potatoes.

IMG_5058.thumb.jpg.aa9610ce22348cdce75313c4a2e286d5.jpg

The broccoli with harissa isn't a good pairing with this - plain broccoli, asparagus or sugar snap peas would be better. However, I made the harissa dish this AM with roasted broccolini and wanted to compare with steamed while I still had the harissa butter and gremolata. I much prefer the roasted broccolini over steamed in this dish.

• Like 12

With all my things still in boxes and new house in utter chaos, cooking is on hold for a few days.

So, dinner last night was in a nearby Chinese fast food place. Roast pork and cabbage over rice.

mmexport1492661844814.thumb.jpg.08892a8402b4dc60b249432f4d1efbd5.jpg

Not exactly gourmet, but tasty enough and filling.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@liamsaunt, Beautifully cooked.  Your steak looks great on your board. 

Thanks!  I love the boards.  I'll be using the big one this weekend.  Massive antipasto planned :-)

Tonight, sort of baja style fish tacos

58feab088d2b5_fishtaco.thumb.jpg.1f6e3e50e9acde15113e74642dd4d4b2.jpg

• Like 13

Spent most of my afternoon making burritos for the freezer for Chris's lunch, so anything complicated for dinner was out of the question. Made him a steak sandwich with peppers and onions and cheese, wrapped and warmed in the oven since he was working late and I had a Bacon Buttermilk Pancake English muffin with some tea because I just wasnt in the mood for food. Muffin is very tasty, might get more for the freezer!

18057903_10155268236311617_3107731731647801235_n.jpg

18119086_10155268079676617_4454102462043322501_n (1).jpg

• Like 6

On 4/22/2017 at 3:38 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am ashamed.  "That imperfect quarter of dark" is me and my iPad.

That's like the renaissance artist painting himself into the scene. Next time a little more face please.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

On 4/23/2017 at 10:06 AM, Shelby said:

It was cold here yesterday so that called for red beans, andouille sausage and rice with cornbread and collard greens from the garden.

58fcb4afbc1a1_photo85.JPG.55db9a4efc15f8621471b694fdbc9e37.JPG

58fcb4be4b9fb_photo86.JPG.86f488319c675aedd645259e6df7f857.JPG

The most comfortable of comfort food.

• Like 5

Tonight:

Dinner04252017.png

Lightly grilled hamachi, CSO roast potatoes, asparagus hollandaise Piment d'Espelette.  Ciabatta.  Good bread provides one sustenance from looking at it.

• Like 14

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

With all my things still in boxes and new house in utter chaos, cooking is on hold for a few days.

So, dinner last night was in a nearby Chinese fast food place. Roast pork and cabbage over rice.

mmexport1492661844814.thumb.jpg.08892a8402b4dc60b249432f4d1efbd5.jpg

Not exactly gourmet, but tasty enough and filling.

I think I spied a kitchen :)  It looks like a nice place!

Is the place you ate someplace you've been before or is it a new one?

Spaghetti night

58ff458f141cf_photo90.JPG.6370d2013d6ae9cafd67a2ba97c050bc.JPG

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I think I spied a kitchen :)  It looks like a nice place!

Is the place you ate someplace you've been before or is it a new one?

Yes, there is a brief glimpse of the kitchen in the video. It's not a great video - cell phone job. My real camera is in a box somewhere! I'll post more when I have finally  unpacked - probably around Christmas!

I haven't eaten in that particular fast food place before, but they are all much the same. Usually simple dishes like that served over rice. I very seldom use them, though.

The problem with Chinese restaurants is that they are nearly always not geared to solo diners or even couples. The Chinese like to eat in groups and that is where the money is for most restaurants. The fast food and noodle shops are really the only alternative. When I was eating lunch the day before in the noodle,shop (see lunch thread), every table was occupied by one solo eater.

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks @Norm Matthews....tonight's dinner will be tacos instead of poor man's stew which has been pushed to lunch in about 30 minutes.  I do love tacos especially if I have enough chili lime hot sauce and cheese to go on them (no lettuce - too expensive right now).

@Shelby can I come visit?  I really want some good fried chicken and Johhnybird does not allow frying in the house.  Most of the places around here deep fry but yours looks like a shallow fry in a cast iron skillet.  I keep trying to get to Hotel Chalfonte in Cape May when we are down the shore but keep missing them....

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Flat Iron Steak, mushrooms, honey glazed cipollini onions, IP mashed potatoes and green onions, fresh green peppercorn sauce and broccoli...last two not on the plate yet!  The steak was cooked for one minute a side in my carbon steel pan then put in a 400F oven for about 7 minutes then rested for 7 minutes.....recipe from Taste and Technique.  The steak almost looks like it was sous vide.  Very tender.  Grass fed beef.

DSC01917.thumb.jpg.e7fa34f9d3fc0b0f1b11c78dc7baa9ce.jpg

• Like 15

Today I was watching some food TV and the chef was preparing lamb in various ways. My mouth was watering for a bit of lamb but I knew that my freezer was unlikely to reach out and meet my need.  But apparently my yen for some lamb travelled a very long distance and just around lunchtime a fairy godmother arrived with two racks of lamb ribs (or what I was raised to call breast of lamb). So nothing like a rack of lamb but very much like a slab of pork ribs.  I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them. Season them with nothing but salt and pepper and slow roast them for 3 to 4 hours before adding some colour on my tiny Japanese grill.

image.jpeg.092c24610e6989fd0354a874a88194af.jpeg

image.jpeg.d2b1f2c96cb303a72e0443faf05662cf.jpeg

Perfect!

Should anyone feel a need, out of concern for my health, to note that lamb ribs do not constitute a balanced diet, rest assured that these ribs were balanced by two glasses of perfectly adequate wine (whether it was red or white shall remain a confidence between me and my four walls).

• Like 19

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Anna, I have a couple of packs of lamb ribs in the freezer.  I usually smoke them but yours look delicious.  They are so darn fatty.  Did you do anything with the coupious amount of fat given off?

I ditched it.  Lamb fat is about the only fat that I can find no use for! 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I got way too much hake in my fish share yesterday, so tonight we had fish and chips.  I fried all of the fish yesterday--it was still really crispy after a reheat in a hot oven on a wire rack this evening.

58fffe084bcc6_fishandchips.thumb.jpg.7e6068ee31fcc50844f675cf1c2104bd.jpg

• Like 13

I went shopping for dinner late in the afternoon and looked for something that would not take a lot of time.  I ended up getting an Italian style roast that I just had to microwave.  I should have got one and seasoned it myself. I do have an instant pot now and didn't have to worry about  the time but it turned out OK. I served it on some pasta and with some roasted asparagus over bernaise sauce.

20170425_190836.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 11

I am on the road and will be in the Cincy area for 5 days.  My wife grew up here and missed Cincinnati Chili, so I make it for her based on the CI recipe. But I have never had the real thing until tonight.  Skyline is probably the most famous but many reviewers and my brother-in-law say it's not that good.  So I went to a place near where I am staying that got great reviews for their chili.  Meh.  Mine is so much better!  Maybe I will try Skyline tomorrow but if what I had is supposedly so much better, I can't say I'm excited about it.

• Like 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Tonight:

Dinner04262017.png

Late* weeknight work dinner:  leftover Bugialli based sauce but with more tomato paste and parsley.  Would I had known of Bugialli in my youth...but of course he wasn't writing then.

Followed by last night's ciabatta and ammoniacal bits of ancient cheeses, the kind that makes the driest red wine taste sweet.

*or early, depending on how you interpret 12:00 am.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Deb and I both like corned beef, so when it was on sale for St Patty's, I went all in. I took a flat cut out of the freezer the other day and last night we had it for dinner. The potatoes were a little over cooked to my taste, but this is the way Deb likes them. The corned beef, water to cover, cider vinegar, bay leaves, spice packet and a good quarter cup of Crystal hot sauce were in the instant pot for 90 minutes at high pressure with natural release. It went into a warm oven wrapped in foil. The potatoes, carrots and cabbage went into the pot with the same "juice" for 10 minutes at high pressure with natural release. The leftover sliced corned beef, potatoes and carrots went with Deb to work for lunch (she will not heat cabbage in the micro at work), and we have a nice piece of beef leftover for sandwiches.

HC

IMG_1918.thumb.JPG.760aaedb66422c7298b13feb1620a25f.JPGIMG_1919.thumb.JPG.e46e257aef95c47b87bfafb6f426c91d.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Thanks @Norm Matthews....tonight's dinner will be tacos instead of poor man's stew which has been pushed to lunch in about 30 minutes.  I do love tacos especially if I have enough chili lime hot sauce and cheese to go on them (no lettuce - too expensive right now).

@Shelby can I come visit?  I really want some good fried chicken and Johhnybird does not allow frying in the house.  Most of the places around here deep fry but yours looks like a shallow fry in a cast iron skillet.  I keep trying to get to Hotel Chalfonte in Cape May when we are down the shore but keep missing them....

Yes, I always use the cast iron with an inch or so of oil :)  You're right, it's the best way :) 

I copied @HungryChris and his salad last night.  I have a lot of veggies that need using and we also had some leftover steak and fried chicken.

I bought a couple of artichokes at the store the other day (apologies to people that live in places where the fresh artichokes probably look a lot better than the ones I can get here in Kansas).  I was in like 3rd or 4th grade I think, living clear up in the mountains, when we went to a party at someones house.  They had steamed artichokes.  SO exotic to me.  They showed me how to take a leaf off, dip it in butter and scrape the leaf with my teeth to get the good stuff off.  I was in heaven.  I got chased away from the table because it was supposed to be a treat for the adults and I was hogging it all lol.  Anyway,  Ronnie had never had a fresh one before, only the canned kind (which he does not like) so I thought I'd make one to see what he thought.  Perfect to go with salad night.  I did them in the IP--details on that thread.  

5900aa18d453b_photo91.JPG.21047b1ad61746d964d3adfef587c0be.JPG

5900aa25aac24_photo94.JPG.202011ee45af914bbc446a2c3e99d482.JPG

5900aa30d66e0_photo92.JPG.1f137834d74717ebfe639394b5c879e3.JPG

5900aa38359ff_photo93.JPG.b90fbce99b5b85cd0e8f64920f4c0b8c.JPG

5900aa429cf05_photo95.JPG.7daabe6a1dcd2515543e14d8fc3714d2.JPG

• Like 14