• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

image.jpeg.ff37eb89f5f23bb1681b6e161be6e64d.jpeg

Pork chop, again. I bought two pork chops on Wednesday and did not want to freeze them if I could avoid it. So this is yet another Diana Henry treatment. I had blanched and shocked the green beans earlier in the day and when dinner time rolled around I needed to reheat them. Lots of options presented themselves but with a pan of very hot water readily available from the sous vide potatoes, my brain kicked in and I just dipped them very briefly in that water.  Worked just fine.

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

More Indian, ever seeking to recreate the thali style meal, just without the appropriate serving ware.

On the plate, lamb and potato keema, steamed rice, chapati, tadka dal, kale curry, in the middle fresh mint chutney. Around the plate, tamarind & date chutney, green mango pickle, fresh beetroot chutney, soused radishes. 

I loved the kale, and am not usually a fan. The least enjoyable was the lamb, I think I'm turning vegetarian.

IMG_3520.thumb.JPG.10b62790c12936c386896175873f9dff.JPG

• Like 11

On April 20, 2017 at 11:30 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How do you keep them from falling out of the pan?

(Forgive me, I just recently watched Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children...two times.)

Funny.  No idea how the photo got flipped

• Like 1

We went down to Galveston for ArtWalk today and had dinner outdoors at ZaZa Bar & Bites on Postoffice. They had live music and we enjoyed people watching while we enjoyed our meal and drinks.

IMG_0407.thumb.JPG.9d49574519f604d3ec80332d70e83643.JPG

I had the Grilled Snapper Tacos and my husband had the Chicken Curry Masala with Garlic Naan.

IMG_0408.thumb.JPG.a1002ab3ac0dae87312cade5ed258fd4.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 11

Tonight:

Dinner04232017.png

Spicy Shrimp Tagine,  Morocco, Jeff Koehler, p 156.  This is a favorite -- this time made with grated brown tomatoes.  Lots of garlic, parsley, and cilantro.  Served with ciabatta and personal beverage, not shown.

The shrimp are U/10 from The Lobster Place by way of amazon.

• Like 16

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

With a nod to @Thanks for the Crepes, who is familiar with the place, I had dinner at Pancho's Mexican Food in West Memphis, AR, yesterday.

Pancho's is easily the oldest restaurant in West Memphis, which is NOT an old city, having been built on what was a swamp before the construction of the levee in the 1930s. But Pancho's came along a bare couple of decades later, at a time when Mexican restaurants in mid-America were not plentiful. At one time it had four sit-down restaurants and a chain of fast-food versions throughout the greater Memphis area; I think it's down to the one sit-down outpost, the original in West Memphis, and one fast-food outlet, as well as a thriving supermarket business in its cheese dip, "hot dip" and salad dressing.

Pancho's food bears little resemblance to authentic Mexican food, but somehow, it hits a taste longing I just need to satisfy every so often.

I had the Shrimp Vera Cruz, smallish shrimp in a cheese sauce over Mexican rice, in a tortilla "bowl," a taco, a beef enchilada and a small salad, which is nothing but iceberg lettuce and diced tomato. And lots of cheese dip, which was heavier on the cumin than usual, and hot dip, which was hotter than usual.

At one time, Pancho's food was all cooked in a central commissary in Memphis and then trucked out to all the outlets, where final prep took place. I would suspect, given the supermarket production of their dips and dressing, that still takes place.

I may actually cook today. I haven't done so all week.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Here's a mish mash of mezze. The star was the eggplant "jam" slices of baked eggplant chopped and mixed with cumin, smoked paprika, sugar and parsley. Also seen here, shiitakes with caramelised onion and garlic, yoghurt with harissa, tomatoes coated with Ras el hanout and slowly baked, smoked oil tuna, assorted pickles and radish leaf salad.

My aim for "no prisoners" was successfully accomplished.

IMG_3528.thumb.JPG.77aaa189b3dcc1c8f35bd8d0dbf7a310.JPG

• Like 14

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Last night was steak night. An abundance of fresh cut chives mixed with sour cream, made the baked potato a costar.

HC

IMG_1852.thumb.JPG.941e715098a6c354c1b0f0d01cbc7850.JPGIMG_1856.thumb.JPG.6f504e2d652863e9b8d32b7a2e18d0d5.JPG

White wine with steak?  Nice steak knives, by the way.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

White wine with steak?  Nice steak knives, by the way.

We do break out the reds from time to time, but it's usually  on a special occasion. I managed a restaurant for a few years and the sight of those "rose wood handled " steak knives after they have been through the dishwasher several times a night still puts me off.

HC

• Like 2

A couple of weeks ago on a whim I bought a package of sweet potato noodles. I had no idea what they were or what to do with them, but they looked interesting. So I did some Googling and found this recipe: https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/japchae-korean-stir-fried-sweet-potato-noodles-30269 Or, more accurately, I found many recipes that were similar, and chose that one. I always love it when I buy something that I haven't the faintest idea about, only to learn that it is a staple somewhere. I made it this afternoon and just ate a small bowl of it. Delicious, and I'm about to get a refill. (No pix, looks pretty much like the photo on the website.) I didn't have shiitakes, alas, but did have baby belas, so I used them. 

• Like 6

Potato salad. Because it was a cocoon at home, not deal with people kind of day, and on that kind of day I want comfort food. And warm, fresh potato salad, chunks of potato almost still hot enough to scorch the tongue, is the most comfortable of comfort foods.

20170423_190052-1.thumb.jpg.3eb98ec93c7293ce9aad38007fc79cf0.jpg

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg.c6602be16ead5ff642eaa732451ea44d.jpeg

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It has once again become cool and dreary here.  John has gone to help a friend who is facing stem cell harvesting for his multiple myeloma.  I don't feel like cooking or eating at this point... BUT it is important  so

I have some parsnips, carrots, leeks, shallots, garlic and small potatoes.  Have some bones to make stock with and then it will be poor man's stew for tomorrow. 

Last night's dinner was green eggs and ham (pesto, eggs, Black Forest ham) on a toasted English muffin ..... again.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Today the "Spring cream of spinach and garlic soup".  The dish looks extremely spring-like and decorative. Maybe it sounds trivial, but you should remember to clean the spinach thoroughly and remove the thick, hard stems. Grinding sand and unblended grains effectively ruin the tasty effect of the soup.

Ingredients:

400g of spinach
3 cloves of garlic
half an onion
2 potatoes
1l of vegetable stock
1 tablespoon of butter
100ml of 18% sweet cream
4 eggs

the whole recipe is here

DSC_0787a.jpg

• Like 9

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Oh my, that chicken looks good @Shelby.

Thanks to @cakewalkfor providing inspiration and a recipe ! Japchae - stir fried sweet potato noodles with veggies. These noodles had been lurking in the pantry for a while, I added zucchini to the mix, garlic chives to the garnish and some gochujang for bite. They were delicious and will be bought again. A large bowl of fresh pineapple and strawberries with dollop cream followed.IMG_3530.thumb.JPG.936ca5f552c7f2d69395cac2ab5315e7.JPG

• Like 11