• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 4)

mm84321

More dosa, with potato & tomato curry, tadka dal, steamed rice, beetroot chutney, tomato chutney, mint & onion chutney and lime pickle. The mint chutney is so easy and would go with many other foods. In a blender I whizz a big handful of chopped mint, sliced spring onions, green chillies, little sugar and salt and lemon juice. 

IMG_3515.thumb.JPG.0815ba8a4001f006ba85f6f98d2bacc4.JPG

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

That's quite a cross-cultural dinner!  Please tell more about muhamurra vinaigrette.  I'm familiar with muhammara sauce, as applied to chicken for example, but this vinaigrette is a new idea.

This meal was another Purple Carrot TB12 recipe, and they called it a vinaigrette.   It was roasted peppers, walnuts, olive oil, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, cumin, Aleppo pepper, scallions, and salt and pepper all blended together.  Basically on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays I am doing Purple Carrot TB12 until I get bored with it.  I've been substituting things when I want--like Tuesday's salmon dish was supposed to be made with tofu, but I like salmon better.

• Like 2

Linguine all'amalfitana from Diana Henry's Simple. Really quick and flavorful pasta dish from pantry ingredients:  olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, walnuts and anchovy. 

IMG_4955.thumb.jpg.aa118ea6cb8919929047aae235bdb0aa.jpg

I thought 8 anchovy filets for 2 servings would be overpowering but not at all. A keeper!

• Like 20

4 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Used up some peppers to make something to go over ravioli 

image.jpeg

How do you keep them from falling out of the pan?

(Forgive me, I just recently watched Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children...two times.)

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How do you keep them from falling out of the pan?

(Forgive me, I just recently watched Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children...two times.)

LOL!

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I read the book :) 

39 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Fresh local sea scallops, Shelby fries (thanks again for the great method, @Shelby) Maytag blue cheese slaw, leftover potato and cucumber salads. I made a small batch of hot salsa tartar sauce for myself, but Deb, the purist, went with ketchup.

HC

IMG_1829.thumb.JPG.5a14380d1c09c35293aea6bd24ccc13a.JPGIMG_1832.thumb.JPG.9ac635a197b69f7a9913ccbdb60f53b7.JPG

Well, you know I didn't invent it....I just raved so much about it that it got your attention xD

I wasn't planning on having fish last night but Ronnie caught a grass frog and had to go down to our river and fish for a while.  He brought home a nice big drum so I fried that along with some shrimp.  Oysters to go with.

58fa067e994b4_photo83.JPG.80b3b312b677460ef369f573a2093e98.JPG

• Like 11

Today the "Herby muffins". My daughter, who likes trying my culinary experiments, ate them at once and another two for packed lunch. The next time I will prepare many more :)

Ingredients (8 muffins):

200g of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
125ml of milk
50ml of oil
1 egg
200g of courgettes
75g of ham
100g of cheese
2 teaspoon of mixed herbs
salt and pepper

the whole recipe is here

DSC_0716a.jpg

DSC_0724a.jpg

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 12

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

image.jpeg.2949f34e4b274640f09370e2910c573a.jpegimage.jpeg.288fc93ead36ee07b765a41d9b77a40f.jpeg

Another Diana Henry recipe which I would definitely repeat. Extremely easy to make. An onion, an  apple and a couple of small potatoes cut up and layered in a baking dish with some butter and seasoning then the pork chop is quickly seared and added to the vegetables. Some white wine is used to  deglaze  the pan in which chop was seared and this is added to the baking dish.  Everything is then bunged into the oven.   Might be tempted next time to deglaze the pan with a little Calvedos and use stock for the rest of the liquid.   Would just be a little bit of a change which is always good.  (The original recipe can be found by googling and you'll see that it calls for a finish of thyme and mustard butter. My thyme was extremely sad so it went into the compost instead of the baking dish.)

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I forgot to take pictures, but my daughter and her new boyfriend are in town staying with us, and he's a vegetarian, and my daughter is lactose and gluten intolerant.  I made Thai-style fried rice with pineapple, raisins, peas, cashews, green onion and tempeh for the main protein.  I stir-fried the tempeh first with garlic and some gluten free soy sauce.  Served with a stir fry of bok choy and carrots in hoisin sauce.  Dessert was my dairy-free chocolate mousse, topped with assorted berries. 

• Like 9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Last night:

Soup04212017.png

Clear soup.  Ichiban dashi, nothing else, not even salt.  How I love this.  Burnt my tongue.

Hamachi04212017.png

Grilled hamachi.  Hiromitsu Nozaki, Japanese Kitchen Knives Essential Techniques and Recipes p 70.

Sake04212017.png

Manabito Kimoto Junmai Ginjo.

As a bonus I got to use almost every kitchen toy:  Polyscience chamber vacuum sealer, twice!.  Anova for the dashi, Dave Arnold method.*  My kezuriki to shave the katsuobushi.  iSi strainer.  Zojirushi rice cooker, Zojirushi grill.  Not to mention the CSO to broil the Hamachi and scallions after grilling.

Possibly the finest Japanese meal I've made.  And perhaps for the first time I finished a go of rice at one sitting.

*Dave Arnold calls for 65 deg C for one hour.  The Japanese Culinary Academy calls for 60 deg C for one hour.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night:

Soup04212017.png

Clear soup.  Ichiban dashi, nothing else, not even salt.  How I love this.  Burnt my tongue.

Jo,

That's a great-looking dinner! Would you mind telling us why there is that imperfect quarter of dark on your soup bowl? I know you are a master photographer, but what is going on with this?

I always burn the roof of my mouth with really good pizza, hot from the oven. I started this stupid tradition very early with one of my mom's homemade pizzas. I pulled the molten cheese off, it draped over my chin, and I sported a burn there for a couple of weeks. I do usually burn the roof of my mouth at least a little with good hot pizza (one of my favorite foods), but I did learn not to pull the cheese lava onto my face. 9_9 If a restaurant wants to get on my shit list, they can do it very quickly by serving foods that should be hot luke warm or cold. >:( 

Also, would you mind enlightening an ignorant person as to what Ichiban dashi is and how one might make this for themselves?

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes
cain't spel (log)
  • Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Dinner tonight was the last slice of cheese and mushroom pizza purchased from Primo Pizza here in Cary. I had that as an appetizer, and while I was heating that in a covered skillet, a la Serious Eats method, I ate half of an "heirloom" tomato I bought the other day at Harris Teeter. It was redsun brand, and while very juicy, also did not have a lot of sun-ripened tomato flavor. I have one more of these tomatoes, and while I will eat it, I won't buy this again.

Then I made sort of a frito mixto, starting with a small zucchini sliced into four lengthwise planks, and the top of a red bell pepper sliced into chunks and dredged in flour in a recycled produce bag. I then dropped a half inch pork chop into the same hot oil. The T-Bone chop was seasoned only with salt and black pepper which had also been shaken and coated in the same bag of flour I used for the veggies. This was a thicker chop I've had for a while in the freezer. I was eating the fried veggies while cooking the chop about seven to eight minutes per side. The veggies were great. I can't go wrong with fried zucchini, but I probably prefer red peppers grilled. They were fine though. 

The fried pork, though, was a disappointment. I like my pork chops broiled. I like pork pretty well done, with the fat rendered and crispy. This chop was well done, but the fat wasn't crispy beyond the crisp flour coating at all. The treatment seemed to retain the fat intact, and I had to cut much of it off, because I don't eat white, squishy fat. The coons were happy with all the trimmed fat and the T-bone, though.

I also had half a microwaved sweet potato with butter and salt.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

7 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Jo,

That's a great-looking dinner! Would you mind telling us why their is that imperfect quarter of dark on your soup bowl? I know you are a master photographer, but what is going on with this?

I always burn the roof of my mouth with really good pizza, hot from the oven. I started this stupid tradition very early with one of my mom's homemade pizzas. I pulled the molten cheese off, it draped over my chin, and I sported a burn there for a couple of weeks. I do usually burn the roof of my mouth at least a little with good hot pizza (one of my favorite foods), but I did learn not to pull the cheese lava onto my face. 9_9 If a restaurant wants to get on my shit list, they can do it very quickly by serving foods that should be hot luke warm or cold. >:( 

Also, would you mind enlightening an ignorant person as to what Ichiban dashi is and how one might make this for themselves?

I am ashamed.  "That imperfect quarter of dark" is me and my iPad.

Here is the dashi thread:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/21765-dashi/

For the dashi pictured I anovaed 10 grams of kombu (kelp) with 500 ml decalcified water, 65 deg C for one hour.  After removing the kombu I brought the broth barely to the boil, removed from the heat, and stirred in an unmeasured amount of freshly shaved katsuobushi.  After resting one minute I strained through cheese cloth and my finest strainer.

I know of no source of katsuobushi in the US.  Katsuobushi is dried fermented tuna about the consistency of a wooden table leg and of fantastic fragrance.  I order mine from Japan.  Kombu should be easy to find, as are pre-shaved bags of fish as a very last resort.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am ashamed.  "That imperfect quarter of dark" is me and my iPad.

You shouldn't be ashamed, Jo. It makes for a very interesting and captivating photo. So cool.

Thanks for the info on the dashi. Maybe it will come together someday for me. My sources aren't that good. I have a Korean owned Pan-Asian store I can get to, and when you find the owner/manager/kind lady? it is wonderful. Most of the employees are unfriendly and seem to have no interest in helping us Guizi.

> ^ . . ^ <

Thursday's Purple Carrot meal was mung bean dal with popped sorghum and (gluten free) flatbread.  I was not thrilled by the idea of this meal, but the dal was actually very pleasant and the sorghum gave it a nice crunch when mixed in.  The gluten free flatbread though...let's just say that I am glad I don't have celiac disease.  I'll be sticking with gluten-ful naan going forward.

58fb48f7af7d7_mungbeandall.thumb.jpg.67b96f8cb7b430ec0640950a44c6bccf.jpg

Last night, lettuce wraps and pineapple rice

58fb48f2cb342_lettucecups.thumb.jpg.d29db011f9e14af92dc56036657cea5a.jpg

• Like 13