• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

sartoric

sartoric

23 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

This cookbook is also from a member of the Pathak family.  All the recipes I have made so far have been excellent.

The Indian Family Kitchen: Classic Dishes for a New Generation by Anjali Pathak

I am giving dosai a go on Thursday with a friend whose husband is gluten intolerant.  I have a mix and I am making the dough from scratch for comparison.

when you make yours do you heat the pan before adding the batter?

Thanks for that link @Okanagancook, I'll have a read later.

Yes, definitely heat the pan. It needs to be hot enough that a few drops of water sizzle and disappear. The batter should be fairly runny, like pouring cream. I use a small ladle to spread the batter in a circular motion, cook for about 2 minutes then flip. There's lots of YouTube videos on the subject. Good luck !

Edited to add, she's the daughter of Meena, small world.

sartoric

sartoric

14 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

This cookbook is also from a member of the Pathak family.  All the recipes I have made so far have been excellent.

The Indian Family Kitchen: Classic Dishes for a New Generation by Anjali Pathak

I am giving dosai a go on Thursday with a friend whose husband is gluten intolerant.  I have a mix and I am making the dough from scratch for comparison.

when you make yours do you heat the pan before adding the batter?

Thanks for that link @Okanagancook, I'll have a read later.

Yes, definitely heat the pan. It needs to be hot enough that a few drops of water sizzle and disappear. The batter should be fairly runny, like pouring cream. I use a small ladle to spread the batter in a circular motion, cook for about 2 minutes then flip. There's lots of YouTube videos on the subject. Good luck !