• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova bluetooth version

rotuts

Ive had 3 Anovas :   the first , the tough screen model had move on to my library for librarians and other to ' try out '

then return as a way to get people to try SV who otherwise might not.

so I have an Anove bluetooth and a WiFi.  both purchased on sale but not for the app related methodology.

I do have a router somewhere , but don't use it :  I connect directly to my FiOS via hard wire.

I do have a few Pods and Pads etc

so I got around to D/L the anova app and though id try it w the bluetooth Anova.

I used to be fairly sophisticated about these things , but they don't matter to me much these days.

the Anova app I have on an iPod had been recently D/L'd

is there a way to use the app in bluetooth w/o going through a router ?

thanks

Bluetooth does not require a router.  My phone talks to my car radio (or my portable bluetooth speaker) wherever we happen to be.  .There's a range limitation though.

My Windows phone can see my Anova but there's no Windows app so it doesn't do me any good.

On 11/04/2017 at 6:11 PM, IndyRob said:

My Windows phone can see my Anova but there's no Windows app so it doesn't do me any good.

Windows phone ownership in a nutshell, alas. I had high hopes for Ubuntu Touch, but that project has now been cancelled, so we're basically stuck with the Apple/Android duopoly for the foreseeable future. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I like the newer Anova's a lot better than the first ed.   i.e. the touch screen

I have bluetooth and WiFi.    those features really are not of great interest to me.  I got both on sale.

Im about 12 feet from the beer-cooler I use around the corner in the kitchen for small batches and re-heating.

I got the blue-tooth to work as a  curiosity.  on my iPod or iPad  it allows me to change the temp , see the temp , and turn it off.

the wheel feature to set the temp is nice on the newer models , and both are a lot quieter than the original.

that's why I gave the original to the library.

• Like 1

I have the original and the Bluetooth and prefer the simple interface of the original.  You want to set the temp?  Push the temp button.  You want to set the time?  Push the time button.  You want to start it?  Push the start button.   I hate the wheel on the bluetooth for setting temp.  Still can't use it to set time.  Control is ok via app.

When I loan one to someone who wants to try SV, I always provide the orig because of the simplicity.  

• Like 2

On 4/16/2017 at 6:21 PM, daveb said:

I hate the wheel on the bluetooth for setting temp

I only have the Bluetooth version but I have no problem setting the temp with the wheel.  How does it incite hatred?

On 4/16/2017 at 6:21 PM, daveb said:

Still can't use it to set time

This is true.  I know I can use the app to set times.  I tried it and it works but I've not had reason to actually need this function and am curious if this is important for most users.   More often, I've been happy that my food was held at a safe temp for an extra hour or so when something came up and I wasn't able to pull and chill cooked items on schedule.  I would be quite peeved if I were required to set start and end points but this is not the case.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2017 at 5:29 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I only have the Bluetooth version but I have no problem setting the temp with the wheel.  How does it incite hatred?

This is true.  I know I can use the app to set times.  I tried it and it works but I've not had reason to actually need this function and am curious if this is important for most users.   More often, I've been happy that my food was held at a safe temp for an extra hour or so when something came up and I wasn't able to pull and chill cooked items on schedule.  I would be quite peeved if I were required to set start and end points but this is not the case.

I find the wheel clunky to use, it's not very discreet, the rate of change in value varies.  It  represents an all to common engineering fallacy.  It looks cool.  It works poorly.  Lets use it.  They left the excellent touch pad interface from the V1 on the table in favor of the wheel.  Hate may be too strong but I like brevity.:B

The timer function for me ensures I get the minimum time in the bath that I want.  There are times when I "set it and forget it" I do in fact forget it.   And I'll sometimes use multiple circulators.   Getting old is hell but it beats the alternatives.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2017 at 8:36 AM, daveb said:

I find the wheel clunky to use, it's not very discreet, the rate of change in value varies.  It  represents an all to common engineering fallacy.  It looks cool.  It works poorly.  Lets use it.  They left the excellent touch pad interface from the V1 on the table in favor of the wheel.  Hate may be too strong but I like brevity.:B

I haven't used this model, but the wheel sounded like a good idea. Do you hate the wheel in principle or just in its implementation? 

I remember the Anova rep who used to hang out here talking about the tradeoffs with the touchpad. One was durability. I haven't heard of specific problems with it, but Anova's warranty on v.1 doesn't include the touch screen if the circulator is used commercially. 

Generally I'm ok with the touch screen, but would much rather have a keypad version that doesn't force you to cycle through all the digits. Reminds me of a digital watch, circa 1980. Or the infamous clock on the VCR. 

Notes from the underbelly

I have no problems with my V1.  Nothing I can think of that I would change about it.  I like the interface, it fits my pot perfectly, it is quiet.  I does what I ask with no frustration.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)
  • Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Went to go use my Bluetooth function today and low and behold they changed the app.  Pushes you to sign in via Facebook (I hate this so much) Had issues with email addresses submitted.  said they were already used.....blah blah....yeah like that's me....asked for my cell phone#, still issues.  Never did connect 

went from a simple  open and connect to having to sign in, email Facebook fiasco which was programmed to fail unless you use Facebook 

Suddenly, I'm very glad I have the Wi-Fi version. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Went to go use my Bluetooth function today and low and behold they changed the app.  Pushes you to sign in via Facebook (I hate this so much) Had issues with email addresses submitted.  said they were already used.....blah blah....yeah like that's me....asked for my cell phone#, still issues.  Never did connect 

went from a simple  open and connect to having to sign in, email Facebook fiasco which was programmed to fail unless you use Facebook 

That is just horrible.  As much as I love my anova I'd start looking for a different circulator.  If anyone from anova is looking at this, you failed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

OMG!

I, unlike many others, have had a serious, PITA, issue with V1.

There's play in the stainless steel skirt which can lead to the impeller making contact with the skirt causing a horrific rattle!!!!

The hole in the bottom of the skirt isn't perfectly centered so the skirt needs to be started on the 'threads' one way only to reduce the potential for rattle.

Straight sided containers only! Containers that taper may lead to the impeller making contact with the skirt. UGH!!!!

My next circulator will likely be a Joule.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

OMG!

I, unlike many others, have had a serious, PITA, issue with V1.

There's play in the stainless steel skirt which can lead to the impeller making contact with the skirt causing a horrific rattle!!!!

The hole in the bottom of the skirt isn't perfectly centered so the skirt needs to be started on the 'threads' one way only to reduce the potential for rattle.

Straight sided containers only! Containers that taper may lead to the impeller making contact with the skirt. UGH!!!!

My next circulator will likely be a Joule.

Thankfully I have had none of these issues.  Have you contacted anova?

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Have you contacted anova?

No, I didn't.

The problem didn't become serious until the Anova was out of warranty.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

14 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I got an email about this from Anova, sent to me on 16 April (a week and a half ago). They issued a mea culpa and an explanation:

Here's what happened with user accounts . . . 

We recently released a new version of our app. To use this new version, you must set up a user account by entering and verifying your email address and a password. 

Why the change? Voice control. You can use your Anova with Google Voiceand in the near future, Anova will be a skill within the Amazon Echo skill ecosystem. Users can only use Amazon Echo and Google Voice integration if they have a user account, so we implemented user accounts for all app users.

Our mistake - we made user accounts mandatory.  After rolling out our latest app update, it became apparent that this mandatory requirement is unfair. We're sorry. We just dumped a requirement on our community without giving you a choice.

Here's what we're doing about it . . .

We're working on an app update, which we hope to have available within the next two weeks, where user accounts will be optional and less burdensome. You'll be able to access recipes and control your cooker via Bluetooth without having a user account in place.

However, if you have a Wi-Fi device, you'll still need to have a user account in place for remote cooking. We're sorry to have to impose this requirement on Wi-Fi users, but we're implementing new security features that will rely on user accounts.

I don't have a voice control device, nor do I have a wifi Anova device. If their timeline is accurate for an app update, it should be due any day now, and I anxiously await it!

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Ehhh. I don't need any 'connectivity' with my anova and I don't want to have a wireless appliance. A great example of over-engineering. Who cooks at a distance? Craziness.

• Like 2

You know the only thing I want to know from a distance is that the IC is still running.  That would be nice

in the mean time my safety measures are a UPS power supply but the Anova draws 800 watts.  A tall oeder for most UPS devices 

• Like 2