• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

@robirdstx  Here it is. 

These are NOT like commercial English muffins - no "nooks and crannies" here. These are very dense.

I've typed the recipe as my mother (Polly) gave it to me. I always double it. Since I always have bulk yeast in the fridge I use about a  tablespoon of yeast for the doubled recipe which makes about 10 - 12 muffins depending on how big you cut them. This is an issue in dispute within my family (everybody makes these). My mother made them quite small - about 2 1/2" in diameter. My brothers both insist that the is the ONLY correct way. I like them larger - I just measured my cutter and it is     3 1/2". I ought to check with my sisters - I'm not sure what they do.

Knowing that these are available for breakfast can be the incentive I need to get out of bed on a chilly, rainy morning. 

Polly’s English Muffins

1/2 cup milk            2T sugar

1/4 cup butter         2 t. salt

1 pkg yeast             3 cups flour

1 t. sugar                cornmeal

1/2 cup warm water

1. Scald milk. Add butter and let cool in large bowl.
  2.  Dissolve yeast and 1 t. sugar in warm water - let sit until yeast is foamy.
  3. Add yeast to milk and butter. Add sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Mix well, gradually mixing in remaining cup of flour.
  4. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead well.
  5. Flatten and cut in circles. Place on sheet pan dusted with cornmeal. Dust tops of muffins with more cornmeal. Let rise 1 hour. 
  6.  Cook on griddle over low heat turning once. (I actually end up turning them several times as I check how done they are.)
ElainaA

ElainaA

@robirdstx  Here it is. 

These are NOT like commercial English muffins - no "nooks and crannies" here. These are very dense.

I've typed the recipe as my mother (Polly) gave it to me. I always double it. Since I always have bulk yeast in the fridge I use about a  tablespoon of yeast for the doubled recipe which makes about 10 - 12 muffins depending on how big you cut them. This is an issue in dispute within my family (everybody makes these). My mother made them quite small - about 2 1/2" in diameter. My brothers both insist that the is the ONLY correct way. I like them larger - I just measured my cutter and it is     3 1/2". I ought to check with my sisters - I'm not sure what they do.

Knowing that these are available for breakfast can be the incentive I need to get out of bed on a chilly, rainy morning. 

Polly’s English Muffins

1/2 cup warm water

3. Add yeast to milk and butter. Add sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Mix well, gradually mixing in remaining cup of flour.
  5. Flatten and cut in circles. Place on sheet pan dusted with cornmeal. Dust tops of muffins with more cornmeal. Let rise 1 hour. 
  6.  Cook on griddle over low heat.
ElainaA

ElainaA

@robirdstx  Here it is. 

These are NOT like commercial English muffins - no "nooks and crannies" here. These are very dense. I've typed the recipe as my mother (Polly) gave it to me. I always double it. Since I always have bulk yeast in the fridge I use about a  tablespoon of yeast for the doubled recipe which makes about 10 - 12 muffins depending on how big you cut them. This is an issue in dispute within my family (everybody makes these). My mother made them quite small - about 2 1/2" in diameter. My brothers both insist that the is the ONLY correct way. I like them larger - I just measured my cutter and it is     3 1/2". I ought to check with my sisters - I'm not sure what they do.

Polly’s English Muffins

1/2 cup warm water

6.  Cook on griddle over low heat.