Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okanagancook

Challenge: Cook your way through your freezer (part 2)

Recommended Posts

I managed to finish off the rest of a pork loin and a top sirloin steak.  Going in is some pork schnitzel and 1 package of chicken thighs.  In my defense, I was out of chicken thighs.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a good dent in my freezer stash this weekend.  The turkey meatballs, the italian sausage, and two bags of tomato sauce were served over pasta for dinner on Saturday.  On Sunday, the boneless chicken thighs and breasts got made into the ranch fried chicken I posted on the Super Bowl thread, and a quart of the carmelized onions were used to make Ina Garten's onion dip for the game.  Nothing new was added to the freezer either, so I am feeling pretty accomplished :-)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't intended to cook beef short ribs today: it's a beautiful day here and the heat from the long oven braise isn't needed now as much as it should be later this week. However, I realized today that the wrapping had split and some meat is exposed and starting to freezer-burn. Short ribs today, it is! There will not be leftovers going into the freezer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took out three one cup containers of cooked chick peas after I ate the small container of hummus which I also took from a different freezer.  So that was good.  However, back in went two bags of foil wrapped pita breads I made to go with the hummus. Dang it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pulled out some marrow bones yesterday, they are soaking.

 

I am obsessed with this dish at a Brooklyn restaurant which involves marrow and scallops in tacos.  So I'm aiming at marrow and black beans in tacos.  There are no scallops anywhere near my freezer, but there are a whole lotta black beans up in here.  


Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<looks at freezer>

<gets annoyed at how many veggie and meat trimmings I have in there>

<throws it all in to a pot, wraps pot in oven bag, adds all containers of frozen broth, tosses pot in oven>

<notes that this took care of about 2/3 of the contents of the freezer>

<will have stock by the end of the day>


Edited by Dante (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dante said:

<looks at freezer>

<gets annoyed at how many veggie and meat trimmings I have in there>

<throws it all in to a pot, wraps pot in oven bag, adds all containers of frozen broth, tosses pot in oven>

<notes that this took care of about 2/3 of the contents of the freezer>

<will have stock by the end of the day>

 

What is an oven bag and why does a pot need to go in it? How much help does a pot need?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

What is an oven bag and why does a pot need to go in it? How much help does a pot need?

 

An oven bag is a plastic bag usually used to put a turkey in to for roasting.  The idea is that it keeps moisture in.   I've never used them for roasting any kind of meat but wrapping a stock pot in an oven bag and putting it in an oven set to about 200 degrees Fahrenheit for about twelve hours produces a richer stock with a much more concentrated flavour.  This has been one of my mainstay stock-making techniques for years now.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dante said:

 

An oven bag is a plastic bag usually used to put a turkey in to for roasting.  The idea is that it keeps moisture in.   I've never used them for roasting any kind of meat but wrapping a stock pot in an oven bag and putting it in an oven set to about 200 degrees Fahrenheit for about twelve hours produces a richer stock with a much more concentrated flavour.  This has been one of my mainstay stock-making techniques for years now.

Huh. Who'd'a thunk it?

 

If you know, how does it compare with stock made in the Instant Pot? I would think that the avoidance of evaporation should yield about the same results, shouldn't it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kayb said:

Huh. Who'd'a thunk it?

 

If you know, how does it compare with stock made in the Instant Pot? I would think that the avoidance of evaporation should yield about the same results, shouldn't it?

 

 

I actually do not know, as I've never used an instant pot.  Still, in theory it could be similar.  Avoidance of evaporation plus long simmering time at a low temperature is what makes it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight's dinner- wings slow-cooked in a mix of hot pepper jam, holiday jam, home-made stock, pomegranate juice, and Moxie, then crisped in the oven. Accompanied by bread and corn-and-edamame succotash. I like to call this "What I had in the fridge and freezer"

51956031_1970046809958986_5862227035841101824_n.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took out a chub of hot chicken Italian sausage and a bag of mixed vegetables to make shepherd's pie with (delicious topped with mashed butternut squash instead of potatoes).  Put in a bag of blueberries and a pint of Ben and Jerry's.  So, pretty much a wash, I guess. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Miriravan said:

Took out a chub of hot chicken Italian sausage and a bag of mixed vegetables to make shepherd's pie with (delicious topped with mashed butternut squash instead of potatoes).  Put in a bag of blueberries and a pint of Ben and Jerry's.  So, pretty much a wash, I guess. 

 

I do much the same thing.  I usually use acorn squash but it's all good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulled out a pork shoulder roast to cook tomorrow, and a package of vac-packed ham from Christmas to go in a ham and cheese Dutch baby tonight. I also pulled out a bag of lima beans, because originally I was planning to have ham, mashed potatoes and limas for dinner tonight, but I changed my mind so the beans went back in. They'll go in Brunswick Stew which will be made with leftover pork roast, which will make several containers that will go....back in the freezer. Sigh. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a battle...love hate relationship.But, continue to make progress.  Tonight everything is from the freezer save for some fresh veg.

next weekend we have family visiting and my menus are centered around pulling some larger cuts of meat from the deep freeze as well as some appetizers.

 

i have a lot of tomatoes from the garden so that will be my next focus.  I also have tons of already made tomato sauces.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salmon fillets on the smoker with fresh coleslaw and a Bourbon County Stout.  Cooks treat!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×