• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

3 hours ago, dtremit said:

Oh, boy. As I was starting to shake off the cobwebs this morning, I heard my better half make a sound of dread from across the apartment -- looks like something knocked the door to our upright freezer ajar, probably late last night.

It's not a total loss, but a whole lot got pitched. To be fair, some of it had been in there far too long.

Two freezer thermometers with audible alarms have been ordered to prevent future occurrences.

Trying to figure out now what to do with a lot of stuff that was still partially frozen and thus still salvageable -- as well as making room in the fridge for the resulting creations. Mostly meat -- a big pork shoulder roast, some locally raised beef stew meat, a little thing of lamb stew, a bit of pork belly, and a few steak cuts, plus two packages of sausages.

Also managed to save some (formerly) frozen fruit and some tomatoes I roasted and froze from the farm last year. 

Thinking I can make some big batches of things — stew, chile, etc — and then refreeze in portions. Inspiration very welcome...

I feel your pain, in light of my own recent experience.

I have baskets, etc., and am ready to start restocking my freezers now. Ordered some meat from my farmers, which I'll pick up tomorrow, and reserved my quarter steer, which I cannot get until DECEMBER. 

I also have the freezers connected to a brand new double outlet that the electrician converted from an unused 220 outlet in the garage. This is on a non-GFCI circuit, so the loose wire thing should not result in tripping the breaker, which was what happened before. Because after all, I'm not going to drop the freezer in the bathtub.

ETA: You could sous vide the steaks, then freeze them. Could do the same with the pork roast.

kayb

kayb

3 hours ago, dtremit said:

Oh, boy. As I was starting to shake off the cobwebs this morning, I heard my better half make a sound of dread from across the apartment -- looks like something knocked the door to our upright freezer ajar, probably late last night.

It's not a total loss, but a whole lot got pitched. To be fair, some of it had been in there far too long.

Two freezer thermometers with audible alarms have been ordered to prevent future occurrences.

Trying to figure out now what to do with a lot of stuff that was still partially frozen and thus still salvageable -- as well as making room in the fridge for the resulting creations. Mostly meat -- a big pork shoulder roast, some locally raised beef stew meat, a little thing of lamb stew, a bit of pork belly, and a few steak cuts, plus two packages of sausages.

Also managed to save some (formerly) frozen fruit and some tomatoes I roasted and froze from the farm last year. 

Thinking I can make some big batches of things — stew, chile, etc — and then refreeze in portions. Inspiration very welcome...

I feel your pain, in light of my own recent experience.

I have baskets, etc., and am ready to start restocking my freezers now. Ordered some meat from my farmers, which I'll pick up tomorrow, and reserved my quarter steer, which I cannot get until DECEMBER. 

I also have the freezers connected to a brand new double outlet that the electrician converted from an unused 220 outlet in the garage. This is on a non-GFCI circuit, so the loose wire thing should not result in tripping the breaker, which was what happened before. Because after all, I'm not going to drop the freezer in the bathtub.