• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

breakfast at the cafe at the little  airpark  here.   a sausage and hashbrown(they call them potato pancakes) already missing. 

..    love that they will get you some sriracha if you ask.   pretty sure the bread and definitely the potato pancakes and regular pancakes are scratch/housemade.

g4PVLty9r.jpg 

• Like 7

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.03984c35b8a0f453c6d6fd139e5309fd.jpeg One egg clung tenaciously to the base of the pan!   This was not the Platonic ideal floating around in my head when I went into the kitchen this morning. 

You're gonna have to cut it up to eat it, anyway, is the way I look at it.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, kayb said:

You're gonna have to cut it up to eat it, anyway, is the way I look at it.

But it not only hurts my pride it means I am no longer The Decider.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looks like I'm joining @Anna N on the poached egg bench of disgrace.

A couple of days ago, I came up with this tragedy. Everything was going well until I was momentarily distracted and overcooked the egg. I haven't done that since Oliver Cromwell was a boy.

The asparagus and toast was OK.

20170522_085820.thumb.jpg.f04526b3b23bf00d4144fe8ec5fcfe33.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

One cannot in all good conscience hit the "like" button for an over cooked egg. 

My breakfast looks as if it really belongs in some sort of horror movie!  image.jpeg.e50ccf81c65256c5465d47736d3168a0.jpeg

Pika gorri sauce.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.fd54aeaeb08a45220635a1983e4117da.jpeg

It had to be if only to prove that I could poach two eggs without breaking one yolk.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, lindag said:

Anyone from 50 years ago who looked at these photos here would think that you people eat like Kings!

Most of the time, most of us think we do. If not as kings then as queens and all the in betweens.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.e22b2e9e843ede2119fceecb7a8fc083.jpegd

Inspired by a British book Toast Hash Roast Mash by Dan Doherty.  All accomplished in my new and beloved CSO.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/15/2017 at 11:48 AM, robirdstx said:

IMG_0461.thumb.JPG.6c7046309207cd33cc41ed1a337672cb.JPG

Crustless "Quiche" with Ham, Mushroom and Green Onion

IMG_0462.thumb.JPG.2b2c45af91c41b1f6db00abb0cbeacde.JPG

Your breakfast sounds yummy. I love the design on the rim of the plate. What is it he image under the quiche?

24 minutes ago, curls said:

Your breakfast sounds yummy. I love the design on the rim of the plate. What is it he image under the quiche?

Thank you. The plate, along with others, was given to me by my in-laws six years ago. They had belonged to my husband's paternal grandparents.

IMG_0478.thumb.JPG.60248c11b11eda9cdd22aaa392dacb58.JPG

• Like 3

Yes, I know I didn't actually cook it, but how good is Sydney as a city when even your bog-standard local suburban shopping centre food court has a Din Tai Fung, where a girl can get herself made-to-order crab roe xiao long bao, pork jiaoze in chili oil, Shanghainese siu mai with sticky rice, a crunchy deep fried chicken chop, and a big glass of fresh, warm soy milk...and finish it all by her hungry, hungover self?

IMG_5706.thumb.JPG.09efcf6d9bf1faa530969bbd99d8a7c8.JPG

IMG_5707.thumb.JPG.c2cfc637ccd5617ce951421a182f965d.JPG

• Like 13

I did not cook today's breakfast either.  

Breakfast sandwiches.  Scrapple for me and sausage for my husband.  Cream cheese stuffed jalapeño poppers to share.  Don't judge me scrapple haters ;).   Chesapeake grill in North Beach MD does scrapple right: crispy on the outside and soft inside.

image.jpg.294d295b70625ece48ce1e3d4e621372.jpg

And we had company.

image.thumb.jpg.dbe003e7f2f8552bd3e9f3f883540184.jpg

• Like 6

@chefmd

I like the companyxD

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Yes, I know I didn't actually cook it, but how good is Sydney as a city when even your bog-standard local suburban shopping centre food court has a Din Tai Fung, where a girl can get herself made-to-order crab roe xiao long bao, pork jiaoze in chili oil, Shanghainese siu mai with sticky rice, a crunchy deep fried chicken chop, and a big glass of fresh, warm soy milk...and finish it all by her hungry, hungover self?

IMG_5706.thumb.JPG.09efcf6d9bf1faa530969bbd99d8a7c8.JPG

IMG_5707.thumb.JPG.c2cfc637ccd5617ce951421a182f965d.JPG

Din Tai Fung sounds like a perfect place for Dim Sum:)

• Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Grilled Italian sausages with new potatoes steam roasted and finished by pan sautéing in bacon fat.  DH must have Stadium Mustard, he mail orders it from Cleveland.

image.thumb.jpg.da2c61a36d711f6fa6417f865e079c19.jpg

• Like 7

WARNING! GRAPHIC CONTENT. 

image.jpeg.e23c31b93d776c587a886e786011188d.jpeg

HomiteTM: a hangover cure courtesy of Ed Smith's father. Equal parts honey and marmite. Ed Smith is the author of On the Side, a British cook book of recipes for side dishes. I am not currently hung over but a little down in the dumps as my second loaf of bread in my brand new Cuisinart steam oven gives new meaning to the word "flatbread".  Will go into further detail in the CSO topic a little later. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I had black forest ham and Swiss cheese with horseradish mustard on garlic naan (not homemade). Still not particularly adventurous but outside of my usual breakfast fare.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.