• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Slow low heat scrambled eggs on toast this morning.  Like eating custard 

I was thinking of making sous vide scrambled eggs this morning but I am bound and determined that I want to serve them in a bread case a la J. Pepin. Here.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2BDB412D-7A06-4C61-94D7-380DFF7B489E.thumb.jpeg.2f23d3644dc121c1879cc6906df87dbb.jpeg

I had some mini potatoes in the refrigerator that I had SV’d a few days ago.  I fried them up in some duck fat, added a very fresh egg and toasted a slice of homemade bread. That little jar of fruit spread is from a selection that was part of a Christmas gift. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Gruyere, spinach and bread egg bake; maple syrup and black pepper bacon; salmon cured in beetroot, vodka, orange zest and dill; blintzes and wasabi sour cream; mango and pineapple with yuzu syrup, lime, mint and red chilli; and apricot, pistachio, honey and cardamom tart with homemade vanilla yoghurt. 

768FC4CC-4503-4192-8D67-64C1106B6895.thumb.jpeg.4be77988b4d915461886528ca883908f.jpeg

BAC351DE-E341-49B6-876C-61FFDB6A9A61.thumb.jpeg.b0527b3f5ad8c212ae10bcfdb83f6e76.jpeg

208006FF-87E6-49F9-ABA1-8037D45CD30A.thumb.jpeg.0cb6a99c47686fbd6019de4722ec3b9d.jpeg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 4

17F82642-3FA9-4D18-A463-1C249DA48EF7.thumb.jpeg.440f448c935b6e96f903e9b58659d128.jpeg

Doggy bag breakfast. Gyozas from yesterday’s lunch at Kenzo Ramen. Was not sure of the best way to reheat these. Andrea Nguyen to the rescue. She advises reheating them exactly the way they are cooked with a combination of oil and steam. Worked well. 

Here.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

That preserve  sounds really good. Made or purchased?

I made a Blood Orange & Campari marmalade last year. I used that, along with a splash of fresh orange juice and fresh cranberries to make this stuff for Thanksgiving.  

I've been enjoying the leftovers with brie and other cheeses.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: I am not a breakfast person.

That being said, if I had to choose my perfect breakfast food was, is and will always remain the Mettbrötchen.

The roughly ground raw pork meat so fresh that you still hear the pig squeaking (in the past, body warm Mett was not unheard of).

With the only option for carrier carb being a fresh rye roll.

Then there are two schools whether the roll has to be buttered: some people argue that a thick layer of butter between the dark roasted flavours of the roll and the bold, spicy flavours provides a nice bland yet fatty contrast, and the others just don't know how to enjoy Mettbrötchen.

When it comes to the raw onions the simple rule of contrasting elements applies: The finer the grind of the pork, the coarser the onions need to be chopped.

Rye rolls, Mett and the metric system in Germany developed codependently: It is no coincidence that 1 kg of Mett exactly fits 8 rye rolls and is thus able to sustain 2 Germans until lunchtime (when subjected to the usual rural activities, such as naked mudwrestling at sub-zero temperatures' with wild boars).

And now, three hours after breakfast in the train to Frankfurt airport I can still feel the glow (read: non-exercise activated thermogenesis) on my cheeks from a minor calorie surplus and the deep craving for a beer after consuming a pound of spicy fatty pork, which will only be silenced in the lounge in one hour ...

IMG-20171229-WA0006.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

@Duvel

Disclaimer:   I am not a raw pork person at anytime of the day. xD

C62D8DE7-4CE6-425B-B3B0-ADA08FD8D7B6.thumb.jpeg.6f17dd7d22175ce7e67a0ec716a9a5b3.jpeg

This has been waiting until I had both ricotta cheese and grapes in the house at the same time. Toast with ricotta and roasted grapes. (I almost missed again as the grapes are getting long in the tooth.)

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast is everything. The beginning, the first thing.

It is the mouthful that is the commitment to a new day, a continuing life. 

My healthy, low-purine day starter and mood booster: tasty crusty ciabatta under

thick, juicy organic tomato slices with sprinkles of Montreal Steak seasoning and

oregano topped with quick melting cheese crumbles...under the broiler for a few minutes.

It's de yummmmz!

bread.jpg

• Like 4

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti