• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Very good stuff for breakfast or perhaps lunch in a sandwich.

Typically has notches cut in it to counter curling of thin slices.

I just cut them thicker. ;-)

I am reminded of something that looks almost the same and I am struggling to remember what it could be. I'm pretty sure I have never had the real deal.  But I'm positive  I have had something so very similar. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Very good stuff for breakfast or perhaps lunch in a sandwich.

It's sold here ($7.99 per lb. shock2.gif)  but, like many things, I think it's especially favored by those who grew up eating it—and I wasn't one of those folks.

It's okay, but I'm not fond of the 'tang.'

The housemate grew up in NJ and most of his family loves it—but not him.

That's NO surprise to me—he's weirdly finicky, to say the least!

:)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Think I know what I am reminded of.  Fried bologna.  Something I enjoy once or twice every decade. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I am reminded of something that looks almost the same and I am struggling to remember what it could be. I'm pretty sure I have never had the real deal.  But I'm positive  I have had something so very similar. 

Newfie Steak?

• Haha 2

I've only eaten it once, and I don't remember the texture being like common commercial bologna.

But it definitely has a 'tang.'

I love fried homemade bologna.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Fall is in the air!  Paid homage to this change in season and to my husband 's ancestors by making Nana Campbell's Peach, Apricot, Pineapple Conserve.
Just eating the leftover container as I ran out of sealers. Great with toast and spoon - jar method!
There's no ice-cream in the freezer, but that may also be an option for breakfast!:$
A friend gave me a fresh loaf of whole wheat quinoa and molasses bread. It was GREAT toasted!
                                                                59ac52d75a4c7_ConserveMcDBread0920.jpg.4ab7c12019a8826fdc42820ad2c13824.jpg

• Like 9

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

17 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Its not baloney-like, though.

Yeah I'm commenting more on the appearance than anything else. 

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

Looks to me like finely ground SPAM in a circular tube.

Reminds me , I have two cans of SPAM : regular and LowSalt.

Ill have to bring them out and fry them up 

xD

I quite enjoy fried Spam once in a while too, say once every century or thereabouts.   xD

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't know what the lower salt version tastes like.

But Ive soaked reasonably thick sliced of regular in ice water ' for a bit ' some time ago

and once the salt level drops a bit , it a much better item.

Ive use ice so that the fat stays hard

Yum !

• Like 1

IMG_1524.thumb.JPG.cafe29dd7ae62c5add6e49840eedd102.JPG

Breakfast yesterday.   Breakfast today was a frozen Jamaican patty served in my best paper towel. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

I’ve been ‘off the grid’ lately due to a new laptop and issues finding a usable (for me) photo editing app.  Found a way to get my old favorite Picasa onto my new computer, so I’m BACK!

Some recent breakfasts:

DSCN7426.JPG.cd33fd06d7aa033e1dae6304821b8541.JPG

CI Soft boiled eggs and Wegman’s croissant (slightly over baked!)

DSCN7427.thumb.JPG.c4f7d51c031f2d166f1a27d1d6b2459b.JPG

Goats R Us cocoa chevre and more Wegman’s croissants.

Mr. Kim’s birthday breakfast:

DSCN7433.JPG.85c888d2ae5ff2a397cc7d507c42ef45.JPG

Benton’s bacon, cocoa chevre, Wegman’s croissants and scrambled eggs.

Another one:

DSCN7464.JPG.8775d0868a36ab4d89ab66be7c76b628.JPG

DSCN7465.thumb.JPG.123892dbc919cb38e380530b2055417d.JPG

Croissant French toast w/ lemon curd and whipped cream, Neese’s sausage from NC.  The angel food cake that I made for Mr. Kim’s birthday party calls for 10 egg whites.  Alton Brown’s lemon curd calls for 5 egg yolks, so I made 2 batches and gave them to everyone.  Lovely on the croissant.

More lemon curd:

DSCN7470.JPG.91e363d1d732b63cdff2cbd1ed848d02.JPG

French toast w/ lemon curd and NC sausage.

DSCN7487.JPG.72c0b42e688b50203fc5cc17284bc7d9.JPG

Fried eggs and the last of the Edward’s country ham.

• Like 10

IMG_1584.thumb.JPG.d69a21f7e237709707518b8e6824dd2f.JPG

Cream cheese and tomatoes on toast. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I had the last Vietnamese coffee popsicle for yesterday's breakfast and the weather has cooled off nicely so I made this Crispy Salt & Pepper French Toast (recipe from Food52

The green onions in the batter add a nice crunch - kinda like a very thin layer of scallion pancake on the surface of the toast.

IMG_6093.thumb.jpg.9a9181c38dbaa9a7a0a5d8b1501ea197.jpg

Served with tomato chutney and Greek yogurt, tomato wedges and some link sausage that the German sausage makers at my local farmers market label "Irish Bratwurst" :D

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Crispy Salt & Pepper French Toast

Definitely going in my "must make" list.  I have never been a fan of the sweet variety of French toast. Now Irish  bratwurst ... the less said the better I think. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

47 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Definitely going in my "must make" list.  I have never been a fan of the sweet variety of French toast. Now Irish  bratwurst ... the less said the better I think. 

I liked the French Toast and I think it will be a fun recipe to play around with different bread and adding other flavors. I'll be interested in hearing what you think.

I found that the green onions didn't really stick to the bread so I sort of spooned some of them on to the bread before turning it into the pan and did the same to the other side before I flipped it over.  

• Like 5

I should have taken a pic. Stayed at a B&B in a small town in South Arkansas last night, and got up to a breakfast that would have satisfied three truck drivers. French toast, fried him, yogurt with fruit, coffee. And the rooms in this BnB, in a lovely old turn-of-the-century house with air conditioning that works REAL well, are $75 a night. 

I skippped lunch, and, so far, dinner. Still cruisin' on that breakfast.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

IMG_1630.thumb.JPG.ee71355d36c43360db2c8c99416b7ece.JPG

Was given some farm-fresh double yolkers so felt the need to showcase one of them. Simply fried in butter with toast and a sliced up tomato. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, kayb said:

I should have taken a pic. Stayed at a B&B in a small town in South Arkansas last night, and got up to a breakfast that would have satisfied three truck drivers. French toast, fried him, yogurt with fruit, coffee. And the rooms in this BnB, in a lovely old turn-of-the-century house with air conditioning that works REAL well, are $75 a night. 

I skippped lunch, and, so far, dinner. Still cruisin' on that breakfast.

I've heard of B&B's that offer cats for company at night.  But I've never been to one offering "fried hims".  Quite the hospitable place.  :P

• Haha 6