• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

[Host's note: this topic has been split to ease the load on our servers.  The discussion continues from here.]

Got up early this morning and went to Memphis to the farmers market, because I wanted fresh, local asparagus. A two-hour round trip is not unreasonable for local asparagus, right? I didn't think so. Came home with three bundles of asparagus, which should make Sunday dinner as well as some to pickle, a bonus of a quart of local strawberries, and had breakfast -- a "gourmet" grilled cheese, gruyere, cheddar and fontina on sourdough, with bits of Benton's bacon.

It was marvelous. Perfect crunchy, golden finish on the bread. Bacon. Cheese. What's not to love?

ETA: The grilled cheese came from a food truck at the market. I make a good grilled cheese. This one was better.

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Yesterday's raisin loaf became a large pile of french toasts, flavored with coconut milk & flakes (along with regular milk), cinnamon, dark brown sugar, vanilla and some rum. Don't forget a large pinch of salt.

20170325_130716.thumb.jpg.a80ed0e7a6d37dd618b5ecc5537fabd8.jpg20170325_145200.thumb.jpg.82608108fe2a2d2b403187cab6f8a42a.jpg20170325_144622.thumb.jpg.9e3c8046ec5075cf41ae0c2508098e08.jpg20170325_144601.thumb.jpg.08ed9f8383d5830950d5511068d5f1f2.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 9

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg.711a0e50999933c3fc06a91769a03536.jpeg

Frying without a parachute this morning.   Wanted to add more vegetables to my diet and thought that vegetable fritters would help my cause.  I shredded some zucchini, a parsnip, a carrot, some garlic, added more ginger than might suit others, chopped up a couple of scallions and added the usual salt, pepper, egg and some flour.  Quite satisfactory. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Eggs with anchovy, shallot and parsley from Diana Henry's Simple.

IMG_4788.thumb.jpg.ecb5d6015878191aeae027f10171022f.jpg

Simple and very good. The recipe calls for 7 minute eggs.  I went with 6.5 min.  The title of this in the book is actually "Mashed Eggs with anchovy, shallot and parsley" but they looked so pretty like this, I didn't want to mash them.

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, Paul Fink said:

anchovy

Looks really good. I don't see anchovy. Where is it?

Anchovy filets get chopped, then warmed in the olive oil along with the shallots so they pretty much melt into the oil.  There are a few bits but they are largely camouflaged by the parsley that gets added before it's all spooned over the eggs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.711a0e50999933c3fc06a91769a03536.jpeg

Frying without a parachute this morning.   Wanted to add more vegetables to my diet and thought that vegetable fritters would help my cause.  I shredded some zucchini, a parsnip, a carrot, some garlic, added more ginger than might suit others, chopped up a couple of scallions and added the usual salt, pepper, egg and some flour.  Quite satisfactory. 

You might try using cracker crumbs instead of flour. That's the binder of choice for the zucchini fritters I cook all summer for my kids.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb

Thank you for the suggestion but it's highly unlikely that crackers suitable for this kind of use are to be found in my pantry.  I do keep Panko in the house and will occasionally use it.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin

I just consulted the Diana Henry book for the eggs and anchovy recipe. It's hard for me to believe that anyone can improve on a Diana Henry recipe but I think you've done it!   I think if a photograph like yours had appeared in the book I would've already made the recipe even if I don't like anchovies!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

I just consulted the Diana Henry book for the eggs and anchovy recipe. It's hard for me to believe that anyone can improve on a Diana Henry recipe but I think you've done it!   I think if a photograph like yours had appeared in the book I would've already made the recipe even if I don't like anchovies!

The anchovy gives a nice umami hit without being strong at all.  I'd love to hear what you think if you decide to try it.  

I will certainly be keeping this in mind for occasions when I feel too tired or lazy` to fix anything more than a plate of cheese and crackers.  

• Like 2

Toast with boozy mushrooms from Diana Henry's Simple.  The header notes say "The obvious thing would be to add garlic and parsley but, in fact, unadulterated mushroominess is what you want."   Indeed, I really wanted to add some parsley, at least, but I resisted the urge to even garnish the plate and unadulterated mushroominess is what I got - yum!

58e2859fd6513_IMG_4791(1).thumb.jpg.75b255b4f929cc7361cbfc3ad7b4a870.jpg

The recipe calls for brioche and suggests sourdough as an alternative for those who don't want the sweetness.  I used toasted ciabatta and also substituted the run of the mill dried mushrooms from the Asian market that live in my pantry for the specified dried wild mushrooms but I did open a bottle of Amontillado as I thought the sherry sounded more luxurious.  For the unemployed, there's nothing like luxury for breakfast on a Monday xD!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 10

Damn. You beat me to it!  Caught my eye yesterday!  Have the mushrooms, have the sourdough  but came up empty on the sherry.  Amontillado eh?  A Cask?

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Damn. You beat me to it!  Caught my eye yesterday!  Have the mushrooms, have the sourdough  but came up empty on the sherry.  Amontillado eh?  A Cask?

No cask, just a bottle!  I'm sure the vermouth would have been fine or even a glug of wine. 

But absolutely no Poe with breakfast xD

• Like 2

image.jpeg.83cf31807a6c71f3f2893c2a43748221.jpeg

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Late Breakfast/Early Lunch

IMG_0373.thumb.JPG.b6d77f9dbbf9ae9f8cd024bf577c468f.JPG

Grilled Corned Beef and Swiss

Or as it's known in my house, "Crap! How can we be out of sauerkraut again? I wanted a Reuben, dammit!" :P

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@Shelby

I'm just not sure.O.oO.o

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.adb98d8491251a6994e762516db53de3.jpeg

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog