• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

In Gail Simmon's new cookbook, Bringing It Home, she has a recipe for Bloody Mary Eggs (recipe online here) that I thought sounded interesting.  Then I remembered that I still had some of the Cocktail Tomatoes from Vivian Howard's Deep Run Roots that used similar flavors so I dipped out a ladle of them,  blitzed them into a chunky sauce and heated it up.  

Pilot experiment with a pee wee egg:

IMG_6511.thumb.jpg.1b09ced85faf525f1f719939f5fe5ab8.jpg

Good enough to continue with regular egg:

IMG_6507.thumb.jpg.7ad2ed0db6d8a53be90ea3cfda58a8f0.jpg

Forgot the celery leaf garnish from the book.  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

OK. I gotta ask.  What's Windy ham?

I have no idea what I was trying to type that my phone autocorrected to that.

• Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I don't know why I haven't made this before, or why I did this morning!  Been thinking about easy recipes I can do right now with stuff on hand and not a lot of heavy work.  So eggs baked in puff pastry.  Packaged puff pastry that is.  I cut out a decent size square of the pastry, then two more squares the same size.  Then cut a hole in those two squares to nestle the eggs, and put them on top of the base layer.  Then brushed with egg wash.   Cracked in two eggs, some dried parsley, diced bacon and black pepper.  Wish I had some fresh tarragon or thyme on hand.  Oh, and a nice sprinkle of parmesan would have been nice.  In a 425 oven for about 14 minutes til the pastry was golden and the eggs just set but yolks still runny.  Surprised me it was so delicious.

003.JPG

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, blue_dolphin said:

OK. I gotta ask.  What's Windy ham?

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, kayb said:

I have no idea what I was trying to type that my phone autocorrected to that.

Maybe Wendy's?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Back in the summer, when  I escaped from the clutches of  the hospital which I had gone to for emergency repairs, but was instead tortured by demons in the kitchen, the quack-in-chief ordered me to start every day with  four boiled eggs. This I sensibly ignored, but compromised with a couple of ova instead. I ate that almost every morning for about a month then thought "^$## this!" and reverted to more sensible breakfasts such as gin and tonic; spliff; cold, leftover, cheap chain pizza etc.

This morning, I woke with a strange hankering for, damn it, boiled eggs. So:

egg.thumb.jpg.fedd48d906b41a3fab25767e92b257fe.jpg

Duck eggs (courtesy of my neighbour's duck, although I had to boil them myself. It seems ducks don't lay boiled eggs. Who knew?)  Hand made flatbread (my hands).

Don't worry. I've booked a therapist appointment for this afternoon.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A535D914-43FF-4898-9D00-6900BE87998A.thumb.jpeg.dc7ba1668702f8bdf9424285467c2388.jpeg

I know there are fancier ways to start  Christmas day but I doubt there are any better ones. Fresh eggs on toasted  homemade bread.  

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog