• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Home made bread (from Modernist Bread) toasted in the Cuisinart steam oven (CSO). A Johnsonville brat cooked sous vide (Joule) at 68°C for one hour and finished in the Breville smart oven at 400° for 10 minutes.  The egg and tomatoes were cooked in an IKEA nonstick pan on a GE Profile  induction range.  All served on an IKEA platter. xDxDxD   Just couldn’t help myself. Now back to some bread baking. 

That bread (and everything else shown) looks wonderful!

• Like 1

39BE3D84-F6EC-4497-A657-4341368468EE.thumb.jpeg.de9d03c26faf2aa9e60675ce4cd3194c.jpeg

Duck mousse, lingonberry jam and homemade baguette. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On the right, a crostini with  dried porcinis brought back from Italy that were rehydrated in a scant amount of brandy and reduced in butter, topped with prosciutto di Parma and mozzarella (reminds me of market day in Castellina in Chianti) and on the left, a layer of avocado, sliced marinated mushrooms and diced marinated onions topped with sharp cheddar.

HC

IMG_1230.thumb.JPG.1ed0c791294f07a50352fd3ce1f3061a.JPGIMG_1229.thumb.JPG.072864918acd40f10e87930e8f15aaed.JPG

• Like 4

I may, perhaps, have gotten my biscuit juju back. Cooked an entire 24-oz package of Wright's bacon in the oven this morning, since the migraine-plagued child will be gone for the next two days. Decided I'd scramble eggs and make a couple of biscuits to go with it.

5a0b38ac2d587_baconneggs1114.jpg.b9b2076b0aba770e8d99443abec41e7b.jpg

At the grocery recently, I'd picked up a small bag of self-rising flour (Martha White, the brand with which I grew up, in point of fact). I got that out, and stirred up enough dough to make four good-sized biscuits. Made drop biscuits because I didn't feel like fooling with patting them out and cutting them out.

They were high-risen, fluffy and moist, like I remember my biscuits used to be before I started using all-purpose flour and adding in my own soda, baking powder and salt. 

I'm not going to be without self-rising flour from here on out.

So, bacon, eggs and a biscuit, with pear preserves. God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This morning was a light breakfast I called a mushroom tart.  Sounded fancy.  

A seedy sandwich bread toasted and  topped with sauteed sliced brown mushrooms, fresh thyme leaves and topped with a French cheese picked up at Costco (can't remember what it was but was kinda like Gruyere)  finished under the toaster oven broiler until the cheese just melted and cut into wedges.  Simple, quick and tasty 

• Like 3

83DFC8B7-4F90-464D-87E7-5FCEC683F4B1.thumb.jpeg.9e2b23147ac0fb5b0f19efd12aaba073.jpeg

Sweet potatoes and eggs cooked sous vide. For more details slide on over here.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Brat on a bun

You can make even sausage on a bun look attractive and it’s not one of my favourites by any means. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

70BCBD93-9563-4D46-AC5A-F64242EB501B.thumb.jpeg.b97a6b4f77e83484c9257f313d8a7f19.jpeg

Pork tenderloin, caramelized onions and one lonely radish. I’ll refrain from commenting on the bread. xD

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I’ll refrain from commenting on the bread. xD

Oh, g'wan!

Looks great and I wish I lived close enough to pilfer a loaf or two from your basement freezer :D!

Edited to add that today's breakfast was some leftover garlicky pasta from last night's dinner.  I am, once again, safe from vampires for the day!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I work today so I will take the same thing for lunch.

Your lunch I guess? No chance you could drop one off in Oakville on your way, eh?   Looks delicious. Right up there as one of my favorite sandwiches. :)

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog