• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

Oh, we rather proudly use that descriptor for all sorts of slightly on the redneck/Middle America style foods. Particularly those made with prepared ingredients -- most anything with Jello or cream of --- soup, for example. Canned crescent rolls from the dairy case qualify!

I will note they didn't last long this morning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6FED3BBB-2808-457B-8DC7-50A4A5BFD570.thumb.jpeg.b135f88418e84394c0117de34152d3c4.jpeg

Fried bread, bacon and a crispy olive oil fried egg. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

EDBCEAEC-0096-4F30-90B2-E0DF2E689FC3.thumb.jpeg.3a1eb2b72aee430b331b9ec530ae01a9.jpeg

Woke this morning ravenously hungry. Scrambled eggs, prosciutto, a shower of Parmesan and some toast. Now I think I will go back to sleep for a couple of hours. :D

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Leftover Quiche Lorraine, from yesterday’s lunch at La Madeleine, and Orange Juice

Robirdstx, I would be very happy with a slice of your Quiche for breakfast.

Moe's breakfast.

59f9ed2f095f5_LimaBeansandItalianSausageNovember1st2017.thumb.jpg.8330cb375c3f6b3d937de3670dd092e8.jpg

Giant Lima beans cooked in the Breville PC and then seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, basil, tomatoes and simmered in a little chicken broth served 

with grilled Italian sausage. 

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

The prosciutto panino and marinated mushrooms with pickled onions makes toasties with a flavor combination pretty hard to beat, but the crispy scrapple and fresh salsa makes one hell of a run at it.

HC

Pretty hearty breakfast. Sadly, I've only had scrapple a few times during very rare trips to the Northeast. I'd go a little out of the way for it. Not a thousand miles though. :D

1 hour ago, OldHobo said:

Pretty hearty breakfast. Sadly, I've only had scrapple a few times during very rare trips to the Northeast. I'd go a little out of the way for it. Not a thousand miles though. :D

HC's taste for scrapple in the morning ("Smells like...victory...") has brought equally enthusiastic supporters and detractors out of the woodwork in the past. 

I haven't had the pleasure myself, scrapple not being readily available in Atlantic Canada, but I'm partial to fried slices of leftover haggis so I suspect I'd enjoy it. :P

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

C3848F77-21E6-4D2F-827A-49D44F8AB17C.thumb.jpeg.e46b93333a9a7a22571e6410c2f4e8ab.jpeg

Havarti and mushrooms on toasted ciabatta. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Used the Breville PC to make my potato gratin. Finished it off under the broiler to brown

Very interesting. I looked up a couple of recipes and I’m tempted to give it a try as soon as I find something suitable potatoes. 

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Very interesting. I looked up a couple of recipes and I’m tempted to give it a try as soon as I find something suitable potatoes. 

Anna, I only use Russet potatoes.  It is my preferred potato for the gratin, mashed, fried, roasted, baked, etc.....

59fc8af91c4f1_NavyBeanandHamSoupNovember3rd20171.thumb.jpg.0d858432241f745360284ff5529d1a95.jpg

Moe's breakfast today - Navy bean and Ham soup.

59fc8b0190a1d_NavyBeanandHamSoupNovember3rd2017.thumb.jpg.31d8b3e1d111c18f6abb3b0f14882875.jpg

Soaked the beans over night.   Used the ham bone and cooked the soup in the Breville PC.

• Like 7

On 10/21/2017 at 3:40 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Iberico ham

That stuff is magical!!! :)

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

0FC41023-BD00-46D1-8375-A701624C9F7B.thumb.jpeg.60f22fe92353209c74cc4a88fc96dfa8.jpeg

Pan-toasted ciabatta with lightly sauteed mortadella.  The latter at the suggestion of @rotuts  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast this morning is sliced fruitcake, toasted and lightly buttered, as suggested by the maker.

Maybe it doesn't look like much but it's quite filling and it tasted wonderful.

1B712784-CAF6-4F54-9894-2F09824D185D.jpeg

7DA56329-592A-4872-943A-2048D2539994.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Breakfast this morning is sliced fruitcake, toasted and lightly buttered, as suggested by the maker.

Maybe it doesn't look like much but it's quite filling and it tasted wonderful.

1B712784-CAF6-4F54-9894-2F09824D185D.jpeg

7DA56329-592A-4872-943A-2048D2539994.jpeg

I thought I recognized that tin! I have the same one, given to me by a neighbor over ten years ago. When I received it, it was filled with my neighbor’s homemade brownies, as a Christmas gift. I have used it to hold the paper filters for my coffee maker ever since.

551B9184-9626-4C75-8E6A-A64A0D795FB2.thumb.jpeg.6392eefd7ca75de796366d3dfea37972.jpeg

• Haha 1

@lindag - that tin brings back memories for me, too.  I had a Uncle who sent one of these to us for Christmas every year so I have a collection of those tins out in the garage somewhere!

Today's breakfast - scrambled eggs with some leftover green bean mushroom tart on the side.

IMG_6307.thumb.jpg.732521744e33a451e95ce09b9bbd1ca7.jpg

Over in the Thanksgiving Sides topic, @Shelby mentioned this Green Bean Mushroom Tart with Blue Cheese and Crispy Shallots.  I made a half-sized tester yesterday.  The crispy shallots got a bit too brown during the re-heat but otherwise, very nice!

• Like 10

The Collins St Bakery did themselves some great PR with those tins. I have them in two sizes. I've never been in Texas and no one from Texas has ever sent me a fruitcake. I use mine all the time. I think I must have picked them up at a flea market or Goodwill a million years ago; mine are not shiny and don't say "deluxe." You can order the fruitcake from Amazon and the tin come with. The entire country must be lousy with 'em.