• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

yes the day after returning home can be a letdown being back to reality but trying to recreate dishes that impressed at home can be fun and rewarding.  

I have a nice big pack of white anchovies bought locally that may not be quite as good as what we had in Spain but they're close and make some nice pinxhos 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shain said:

It looks similar to savory. Could you please share the local name for it? 

Zaatar Akhdar ( Green Zaatar) (Green Wild Thyme)

It does look quite similar to savory. Do you eat green raw savory like Zaatar?

• Like 1

2605B7D0-999B-4FCE-9D3F-AA18DAA521E5.thumb.jpeg.25888ffe636d0d74e967a5a9def53eab.jpeg

That is a gift of cultured butter on the muffin made using the Spinzall. Delicious. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This breakfast thread is amazing:x I scrolled and saw so many good ideas to diversify my morning nutrition. As for me I usually drink a vegetable smoothie. I use pumpkin, beetroot, cabbage, and carrot. At first, it is very healthy. Also, it is very nourishing (if I drink it at 7 a.m., till 1 p.m. I am not hungry at all). Another advantage is that I need only one hand blender to prepare my breakfast. My pumpkin smoothie

Edited by PaulKing (log)
  • Like 7

On 10/23/2017 at 9:12 AM, Nicolai said:

Zaatar Akhdar ( Green Zaatar) (Green Wild Thyme)

It does look quite similar to savory. Do you eat green raw savory like Zaatar?

I haven't had savory in years, it's hard to get here, but I only ever had it in cooked dishes. I was just intrigued since it looked different from zaatar and thyme. 

~ Shai N.

6 hours ago, shain said:

I haven't had savory in years, it's hard to get here, but I only ever had it in cooked dishes. I was just intrigued since it looked different from zaatar and thyme. 

According to Wikipedia, Zaatar is a generic name and Savory is one of the family.

In which case Zaatar Akhdar in Arabic is Savory which means you are right on the money!

Wikipedia:

Za'atar[1] (Arabic: زَعْتَر‎‎, IPA: [ˈzaʕtar]) is a generic name for a family of related Middle Eastern herbs from the genera Origanum (oregano), Calamintha (basil thyme), Thymus (typically Thymus vulgaris, i.e., thyme), and Satureja (savory).[2] The name za'atar alone most properly applies to Origanum syriacum, considered in biblical scholarship to be the hyssop (Hebrew: אזוב‎‎ Hebrew pronunciation: [eˈzov]) of the Hebrew Bible.[3] It is also the name for a condiment made from the dried herb(s), mixed with sesame seeds, dried sumac, and often salt, as well as other spices.[4] Used in Levantine cuisine, both the herb and spice mixture are popular throughout the Middle East.[5][6]

• Like 2

Savory is very hard to find here in the states, and when I can find it, it is only in the dried form. I do love it and tend to hoard it because of the scarcity. It has a very nice flavor and I wish I could find it fresh or even dried more. I did try to grow in one year along with borage and both failed on me, although the other stuff I grew that year did just fine. I was very excited to find the seeds, so this was a great disappointment to me.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Savory is very hard to find here in the states, and when I can find it, it is only in the dried form. I do love it and tend to hoard it because of the scarcity. It has a very nice flavor and I wish I could find it fresh or even dried more. I did try to grow in one year along with borage and both failed on me, although the other stuff I grew that year did just fine. I was very excited to find the seeds, so this was a great disappointment to me.

The odd thing is that we do not use Savory -  Zaatar Akhdar in cooking but only eat as a salad in it's fresh green raw state,

I personally think it must be a variant herb to savory as it seems many variants exist.

The only time we use the Zaatar in it's dry powder  form besides the sesame mix one, is a la Greque.

We have been taught by a Greek restaurateur lady, that the best way to enjoy Greek Barrel Aged Feta cheese besides raw on a salad, is to spread on flat bread and sprinkle  Greek Thyme and lace with oil toasted in a pan. The other way to eat Barrel Aged Feta is to crumble the Feta on a sheet of alu foil, sprinkle with dry Thyme and EVOO and bake in the oven. The smell is unbelievable. When we run out of Greek Thyme we use powder Zaatar instead and the result in taste and smell is very similar.

We will probably have a Barrel Aged Feta toasted in Egyptian Baladi flat bread next week. I will try to post for you a prep and final pics.

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 2

186A4F05-0844-404E-867B-C4D018ACF52B.thumb.jpeg.11504c72d7b26270a3edbbc164479af9.jpeg

A somewhat different take on bacon and egg. In a little book that Kerry Beal thrust into my hands yesterday, Posh Toast,  I spotted a recipe for bacon soldiers and soft boiled egg. Basically it is little more than crispy bacon mixed with butter and used as a spread. I felt compelled to guild the lily just a little and added some smoked paprika to the butter and bacon mixture. I am also a complete wuss with soft boiled eggs. So here is my interpretation — a poached egg on toast  that has been spread with bacon and butter.  It is not going to take the food world by storm but it did keep me amused this morning and was very tasty.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I felt compelled to guild the lily just a little and added some smoked paprika to the butter and bacon mixture. I am also a complete wuss with soft boiled eggs. So here is my interpretation — a poached egg on toast  that has been spread with bacon and butter.  It is not going to take the food world by storm but it did keep me amused this morning and was very tasty.  

It certainly looks tasty! I like the extra touch of the smoked paprika. That reminds me: I have some (overly) crisp bacon crumbles in the fridge, waiting to be used. They're the remains of an attempt to cook bacon in the oven when family was visiting. 

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9A4DC255-8EA8-4D46-835E-589E5E8DF10A.thumb.jpeg.b1a0519e882eccaac93492ff07538460.jpeg

Home made baguette slices brushed with olive oil and pan grilled before being scrubbed with tomato and piled with prosciutto. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

Inspired by @Anna N's recent post about the bacon soldiers and soft boiled egg from Posh Toast (recipe here), I made my own version:

IMG_6300.thumb.jpg.6f7fba832d6ab7c9b497909098f8dac9.jpg 

Toasted ciabatta spread with the butter/bacon mixture and topped with soft boiled eggs - very yum.  I liked the way the bacon crumbles retained their crunch.  

Thanks, @Anna N!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Inspired by @Anna N's recent post about the bacon soldiers and soft boiled egg from Posh Toast (recipe here), I made my own version:

IMG_6300.thumb.jpg.6f7fba832d6ab7c9b497909098f8dac9.jpg 

Toasted ciabatta spread with the butter/bacon mixture and topped with soft boiled eggs - very yum.  I liked the way the bacon crumbles retained their crunch.  

Thanks, @Anna N!

Oh, those eggs!  That is exactly what I'm going for when I make them.  Gorgeous!!!

• Like 2

5ACCC530-B997-418E-974A-21E542A5ADFB.thumb.jpeg.c6d8fd45870a93f4b4d0dc0986e5b869.jpeg

Leftover shrimp in Rao vodka sauce with a small dinner roll. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I am deeply into Southwind Through The Kitchen  which is a collection of Elizabeth David‘s writings compiled by Jill Norman.  So breakfast this morning is my interpretation of peperoni alla piemontese. When your house smells this good this early on a Sunday morning...

D78C2E64-01F3-4AE2-9CB4-12AD99FD45AE.thumb.jpeg.443d45fa48eea80b3512795fafa9c6ad.jpeg

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So breakfast this morning is my interpretation of peperoni alla piemontese. When your house smells this good this early on a Sunday morning...

That looks sooo good - but I'd want an nice glass of wine to go with it.  I guess that could make for a nice Sunday morning but then I'd need a nap and I'd never make it through the Sunday Times xD

• Like 1

Decided to have two breakfasts today. Making steel cut oats with tart montmorency dried cherries now. Later will have a pork chop with apple and onion, grits with dried tomatoes and parmesan, and roasted broccoli and sweet potatoes. Northerners would be correct calling the grits polenta by the way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I am deeply into Southwind Through The Kitchen  which is a collection of Elizabeth David‘s writings compiled by Jill Norman.  So breakfast this morning is my interpretation of peperoni alla piemontese. When your house smells this good this early on a Sunday morning...

Anna, I can almost imagine how wonderful your house smelled.   My family would love that.

I presalted Prime Rib Rib Bones last night and cooked them this morning in the Breville Pressure Cooker.

59f5eb7e40336_PrimeRibBonesOctober29th20171.thumb.jpg.95443adb33c6ddb2de11b1a41cfacc5a.jpg

Anyone that knows me, knows this is Moe's plate because I don't eat carrots.

I'm working today so I'm taking mine for lunch.

• Like 13