• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Cruise ship breakfast.

image.thumb.jpeg.d9df906d30ea4cfa19dccff988daa04c.jpeg

Anchored off Portofino, Italy.

One rare example of a time the food would make no difference -- if I had that view. Gorgeous. Fruit doesn't look half bad, either.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

So far just a double espresso cappuccino.

New machine delivered late yesterday afternoon.

No, no, no....I do NOT need a cappuccino machine!

• Haha 1

This Breakfast thread is really entertaining for me.

There are certain items I would never dream eating for Breakfast and I am sure other people feel the same on my type of Breakfast. 

This is what I had today, with the Missus for Breakfast before hitting the beach for a swim  :D

Clockwise from 12 o'clock:

1- Labneh doused with EVOO

2- Spring Onions

3- Cucumbers

4- Green Wild Thyme

5- Haloumi Cheese

4- Tomatoes

5- Green Olives in the middle

and of course Bread (off picture). We had two types of Bread: The flat Lebanese (for yours truly) and the Egyptian Baladi flat bread (for the Missus).

The way to eat is to tear a piece of bread, scoop some Labneh and dip on top of the Wild Thyme which is picked up by the Labneh. Same goes for a piece of bread with Haloumi Cheese and placing Wild Thyme in the formed pocket (some call it cat ear).

I refuse to have a meal if no sweet is included, in this case Beurre D'Isigny on flat bread with Dark Sour Cherries jam.

Lunch was Linguine and wild mushrooms pan sauteed with onions and garlic in olive oil and S&P and finished with a splash of Gavi Di Gavi. The Linguine was dressed with fresh chopped Parsley and a mix of grated Gouda and Parmesan and washed down with the rest of the Gavi Di Gavi.

Dessert was a juicy Pineapple...............and a small chocolate accompanied with few strong words from the Missus.

b8OFboH.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks for sharing your cruise experience, @blue_dolphin. I hope you enjoyed yourself thoroughly!

Somehow, though, I don't think rousting guests off the ship before dawn is part of the sales spiel. :) Sorry about that part. Hopefully, the rest made up for it.

Is that a single strawberry in the silver goblet? And the croissant looks great, if offered way too early.

> ^ . . ^ <

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Thanks for sharing your cruise experience, @blue_dolphin. I hope you enjoyed yourself thoroughly!

Somehow, though, I don't think rousting guests off the ship before dawn is part of the sales spiel. :) Sorry about that part. Hopefully, the rest made up for it.

Is that a single strawberry in the silver goblet? And the croissant looks great, if offered way too early.

Well, sunrise was around 8:10 AM and my departure was at 8:00 so "before sunrise" wasn't really all that brutal :D and I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise.  I had hoped to post more meals but kept running into random wifi/internet issues.

My photo angle wasn't very good but the silver goblet contains about half a cup of mixed fresh berries.  The almond croissant was lovely although I just had a few bites.  I'm now having my second breakfast at the Barcelona airport.  

IMG_0721.thumb.JPG.f32404cb48c614e9804043faa33f9582.JPG

A sandwich of Iberico ham on crusty bread, rubbed with tomato and a bottle of water.  McDonald's was an option but I thought this looked better!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

A sandwich of Iberico ham on crusty bread, rubbed with tomato and a bottle of water.  McDonald's was an option but I thought this looked better!

You turned down McDonald’s for Iberico ham?   I’m apalled. Shocked and apalled I say.xD

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Even though it's after 12:00pm I'm posting this as breakfast since it was our first meal of the day.  Just took a long walk around the neighborhood and ran into a neighbor who was proud to show us his new chicken coop in the back yard.   While checking the hen house he pulled out a little blue egg and offered to me.   

Had to make two plates out of it so while forging through the fridge I pulled out some kale, last nights dal and used a tomato off the counter to make breakfast.  I was really digging the combo of flavors 

image.jpeg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Well, sunrise was around 8:10 AM and my departure was at 8:00 so "before sunrise" wasn't really all that brutal :D and I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise.  I had hoped to post more meals but kept running into random wifi/internet issues.

My photo angle wasn't very good but the silver goblet contains about half a cup of mixed fresh berries.  The almond croissant was lovely although I just had a few bites.  I'm now having my second breakfast at the Barcelona airport.  

IMG_0721.thumb.JPG.f32404cb48c614e9804043faa33f9582.JPG

Before even reading your post I looked at that picture and thought Spain.  Saw these all over and at the airports as well a couple weeks ago when we left Barcelona.  Only regret was not buying one.  Might have been the same gate because there was a long line to a cafeteria type restaurant and a McD  and not much else.   We ended up at McD but we're short on time as the line to board formed before we got out of McD 

• Like 1

59ecae8e72339_fallberries1022.jpg.3248c1a07660c77435d66d6f93119779.jpg

Instant Pot yogurt, homemade granola, and fall strawberries, which I found at the farmers' market yesterday. The berry people said they bought the seedling plants last spring, kept them in the cooler all summer, and set them out when the weather cooled. The berries think it's spring and, thanks to our long, warm fall, merrily start to bloom and then bear fruit. 

Been around gardening and farming most of my life, and never heard of this before. But I'll not complain. Fresh, local strawberries in October? Yes, indeed!

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

21 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Saw these all over and at the airports as well a couple weeks ago when we left Barcelona.  Only regret was not buying one.  Might have been the same gate because there was a long line to a cafeteria type restaurant and a McD  and not much else.

Yep, I was at the D-gate area and it was just McD and the small café with a long line and no way to see what was on offer without waiting in the line.  I had time to wait and was delighted to spot the jamón Ibérico sandwich.  Delicious!  I'm sure the jamón being sold in the duty free shop wasn't very good but I was tempted to go back in there and see what I could get with my remaining euros. 

Today, it's back to the grim realities of life.   I got home very late last night after a 24 hr+  travel day and my car is still in the body shop.  I'll walk down to Sprouts later for some fresh provisions but in the meantime,  I used what was on hand for this:

IMG_6296.thumb.jpg.111f7bc7391d7610252de8a53fcf5a59.jpg

Egg salad mixed up with a bit of blue cheese & mayo, topped with capers and crumbled bacon (sadly, no jamón Ibérico :() on toasted ciabatta.   

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Today, it's back to the grim realities of life.   I got home very late last night after a 24 hr+  travel day and my car is still in the body shop.  I'll walk down to Sprouts later for some fresh provisions but in the meantime,  I used what was on hand for this:

IMG_6296.thumb.jpg.111f7bc7391d7610252de8a53fcf5a59.jpg

Egg salad mixed up with a bit of blue cheese & mayo, topped with capers and crumbled bacon (sadly, no jamón Ibérico :() on toasted ciabatta.   

The post-travel days are often a letdown for me. No matter what food I may have waiting at home, it can't hold a candle to the interesting and new food I had been exploring...and the fatigue makes it all worse.  I'd say your breakfast looks inspired!  It must be the jet lag that makes you feel otherwise.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown