• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

roasted chicken with some cranberry honey mustard on toasted marbled rye with Cain's mayo.

Johnnybird has scrambled eggs with turkey bacon...and pink salt...and ketchup.

yesterday it was one of our own tomatoes as well as some Shoprite gluten free toasted bread with walnut oil.

anyone notice how many of us are tending to head towards savory now it is cooler?  or in general...

tomorrow for John will be sweetish...blueberry pancakes.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8C70DFC0-A793-4E80-AD49-F1B973A28CC5.thumb.jpeg.487c1cd8bbdde70f5a4e85e8687c8610.jpeg

Souffléd egg on a toasted English muffin. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, Captain said:

Sardines on toast. Yum.  Not that the rest of the house shares my taste.

I can't, in good conscience, click "Like" on those barely singed slices of soft-looking bread masquerading as "toast"  but you've got me thinking about sardine/toast variations more to my own, admittedly odd, tastes.   

For that, I offer you my thanks!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

FD9C601E-9BB4-4498-9CB9-F06BE56CDCD1.thumb.jpeg.672e98925d55506546e1f8b1eff1334c.jpeg

When I slow down and do all the right things in the right order……When I slow down and do all the right things in the right order……

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Captain – I LOVE sardines.  Not sure I could face them for breakfast, but certainly by brunch time.  My family shares your household’s distain for them, though.  Because I am kind, I do my sardine and smoked oyster eating when they are absent.

We managed to get by my very favorite Richmond bakery yesterday morning.  Sub Rosa does wood fired baking and stone milling and makes the most amazing pastries and breads in our area.  I snagged a Pain au Chocolat and a croissant:

DSCN7550.JPG.a66db1973ba387b91e33e842c4ccef0a.JPG

DSCN7551.JPG.62176c69b3146674b95180790463080e.JPG

DSCN7552.JPG.3deca803970870619183489ad8c11921.JPG

Delicious, as always, and I love how dark their wood fired oven gets the pastries.

• Like 9

For the first time this year, there's a little nip in the air this morning that caused me to think about hot cereal. I was scrabbling through the pantry for the steel cut oats, which I KNOW are in there but can't find, when I came across the bag of farro. H'mmm. sez I. That ought to work.

So I cooked a half-cup of farro, toasting it in olive oil, then boiling it for 20 minutes or so, drained it, added a pat of butter and a bare teaspoon of maple syrup, just enough to give it a faintly sweet taste. Good fall breakfast!

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Yum Cha . (饮茶 Mandarin: yǐn chá) literally "Drink Tea" aka 早茶 zǎo chá,  Morning Tea.

mmexport1507784304354.jpg

mmexport1507784282060.thumb.jpg.323cb1a0298dd2ea0473b66830b3c430.jpg

mmexport1507784286661.thumb.jpg.a88cbbeae918feeaf628bee28613d989.jpg

mmexport1507784295626.thumb.jpg.f70a24b5b49ca3e7380998e75f86adde.jpg

mmexport1507784298652.thumb.jpg.835f365818128ecfbddd0a91985a9c6f.jpg

I think? I can identify chicken feet and congee, maybe some kind of stir fry? What are the cute little pigs? Are they edible? And what is in the dish with the scallions?

It certainly looks like something I would love to explore, but the pictures don't do it for me without more information. :)

Also, it looks like a couple of white ceramic ashtrays on the turntable. They still allow smoking in restaurants in your area?

And why does it look like there is some sort of crystal waterfall starting at the adorable pigs in the steamer basket and going to about 1 o'clock on the turntable in your photo?

Please do tell us more about your breakfast feast, kind sir.

> ^ . . ^ <

On 12/10/2017 at 4:42 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I think? I can identify chicken feet and congee, maybe some kind of stir fry? What are the cute little pigs? Are they edible? And what is in the dish with the scallions?

It certainly looks like something I would love to explore, but the pictures don't do it for me without more information. :)

Also, it looks like a couple of white ceramic ashtrays on the turntable. They still allow smoking in restaurants in your area?

And why does it look like there is some sort of crystal waterfall starting at the adorable pigs in the steamer basket and going to about 1 o'clock on the turntable in your photo?

Please do tell us more about your breakfast feast, kind sir.

Yes, chicken feet and congee. 八宝粥 (bā bǎo zhōu) to be precise. Eight Treasure Porridge - a big favourite. The eight treasures vary from restaurant to restaurant (and may not actually be eight). Jujubes, goji berries, nuts, dried fruit etc. It is nearly always vegetarian.

The little pigs are steamed bread.

The stuff in the scallion dish is dried tofu skin to be mixed into your porridge should you desire..

The "stir fry" is just a mixed fried noodles - 炒面 chǎo miàn - a popular breakfast dish. Well, popular as a light meal or snack at any time of day, really.

The "waterfall" you are seeing is  a reflection of the overhead light fitting.

Most restaurants in China allow smoking. It used to seem to be compulsory to smoke half way through the meal, but, over the last few years , I have noticed a sharp decline in the number of people smoking in restaurants. Still too many though. I am convinced that it is no accident that the Chinese for "banquet" and "cigarette ash" are both 'yanhui'. Only the tones are different.

Banquet: 宴会 yàn huì 

Cigarette ash: 烟灰 yān huī

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This morning, I tried to replicate a  dish I ate in an Indonesian restaurant about five years ago. Fried rice with foie gras.

rice.thumb.jpg.c67e9908cca852c680afb5ae9617be7f.jpg

I didn't quite pull it off but it was close.

Ingredients: Rice, foie gras, garlic, chilli, Chinese chives and coriander leaf./cilantro.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto