• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

Cranberry pecan scones baked late yesterday.  Nothing like the heavy lumps of dough served in many commercial establishments.

Split, toasted lightly and buttered this morning. Flaky and tender.

59c675f3eac31_Cranberrypecanscones.thumb.png.b22feaa1f2c5b3ce583a76f9cc7b718b.png

59c67971580be_ScreenShot2017-09-23at8_09_32AM.png.08ab869e685b61010151783ce657dca1.png

• Like 14

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

@andiesenji - lovely scones.  Makes me hungry even after my delicious breakfast!

Breakfast this morning:

DSCN7516.JPG.4d4da1934914672f0560cf271ec70ea3.JPG

DSCN7517.JPG.1f2703ab5f404af53a3bce09991a0d81.JPG

Hazelnut-chocolate croissant from Lidl.  This is a Germany-based grocery store - similar to Aldi.  They just started opening these stores in the Richmond area.  We went for the first time last night and were very impressed – prices, quality, selection.  The bakery is wonderful.  Tons of stuff that you can pick out as many as you like.  Aldi (just down the street) may be in trouble.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This is a Germany-based grocery store - similar to Aldi.  They just started opening these stores in the Richmond area.  We went for the first time last night and were very impressed – prices, quality, selection.  The bakery is wonderful.  Tons of stuff that you can pick out as many as you like.  Aldi (just down the street) may be in trouble.

Both Lidl and Aldi are big in the UK and, while rivals, seem to manage to co-exist. The two operations are, rather than hurting each other, hurting the more traditional mainstream supermarkets. Here is an article from last week.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Both Lidl and Aldi are big in the UK and, while rivals, seem to manage to co-exist. The two operations are, rather than hurting each other, hurting the more traditional mainstream supermarkets. Here is an article from last week.

Amazing share of the market!  Thanks for the link!

• Like 1

IMG_2128.thumb.JPG.df777fae414394feeadbed0f28003005.JPG

My last potato became potato Rosti.  It is great fun to take a single ingredient and give it various treatments. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Earlier in the season, I made fun of the Burpee Fourth of July tomato, but they have impressed me, and I will be growing them again next year, just starting them earlier, I guess. Here are some I picked before breakfast, joined on the plate by some shishito peppers, scrapple, marinated zucchini and poached eggs.

HC

IMG_0724.thumb.JPG.cf92a015a3c5a5eee6bc4669efaa07d8.JPG

IMG_0725.thumb.JPG.544c508516465f95800b080132a35bd8.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 6

IMG_2177.thumb.JPG.4f1192db4626da42203ac83637e0df5e.JPG

Flatbread from the book Bäco topped with caramelized onions, sautéed criminis and some blue cheese crumbles.  I had cooked the bread and frozen it and this was all reheated in the Cuisinart steam oven.  I do not think it worked particularly well. Next time I will try it on the re-heat function  on the Breville smart oven. 

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, lindag said:

The CSO warms nicely on the (obvious) 'warm' setting, too.

I find that its warm setting is good only for keeping already hot food at temperature. It's range is very limited for reheating something. The highest temperature offered is 300°F or 148°C.  I would normally re-heat  at 325 to 350°F   and much higher for certain things. YMMV

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

IMG_2177.thumb.JPG.4f1192db4626da42203ac83637e0df5e.JPG

Flatbread from the book Bäco topped with caramelized onions, sautéed criminis and some blue cheese crumbles.  I had cooked the bread and frozen it and this was all reheated in the Cuisinart steam oven.  I do not think it worked particularly well. Next time I will try it on the re-heat function  on the Breville smart oven. 

I've always preferred flatbreads reheated in a frying pan. 

• Like 1

For some reason Deb came home with a loaf of Wonder Bread yesterday and proceeded to make a PBJ this am. I decided to go out to the garden and pick the first of the most recent wave of Bibb lettuce and try my hand at making a kicked up version of the BLT of my youth. We had some herbed tomatoes left over from dinner. It was a bit messy, but, oh, so worth it!

HC

IMG_0744.thumb.JPG.c8a24519adf35cea6d655df870860c8d.JPGIMG_0748.thumb.JPG.2cf569d601476fa0c10056efcddf2326.JPGIMG_0749.thumb.JPG.b7351b64270129912f54c68981be37ca.JPG

• Like 8

IMG_2321.thumb.JPG.3e45b12ab5d6f896dcc55926e11d4f34.JPG

Savoury steel cut oats. Oats cooked in Instant Pot using the PIP (pot in pot) method then grated cheddar stirred in  along with some salt and pepper. Bacon, fried egg and scallions complete it. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Grabbed a couple of frozen egg bites; let them thaw a bit on the counter, then stuck them in the CSO on steam bake 350 for 8 minutes. Still cold in the center, so I cut them in two and gave them another three minutes. Then toasted a slice of oatmeal bulghur bread and topped it with some blackberry jam.

20170929_082437.thumb.jpg.f90f6ae0225e01970de6926757e26cd7.jpg

The bites were good post-freezing/thawing/warming, but a better procedure might have been to lay them out in the fridge the night before, to cut the time needed to thaw/warm. They weren't rubbery, though.

Also, one egg bite's enough, when I'm having it with toast. Lucy-the-pug, however, was really pleased I had warmed two.

Next time I'll dice the brats, instead of just slicing them.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Broke open the first jar of my Peach / Apricot/ Pineapple Conserve. Broke all the low-carb rules ever written, and ate it with a toasted Everything Bagel! :wub:

59cfc5b20948c_BagelConserve1143.jpg.384f43e1842050edd0470825c5f0b632.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2F8128AB-3193-45A2-960B-FCCD227A2743.thumb.jpeg.f5e448bccdace395192f97c51f932683.jpeg

Orzo with Parmesan, egg and tomato cooked in garlic flavoured oil (some drizzled over to finish) and some chopped scallions. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I had occasion to go to ALDI the other day for a Mayo Run

I pick up some brats and some imported dark chocolate w hazelnuts on these runs.

yearly

Breakfast :

BDogs.thumb.jpg.c55dbc8876ceed1552207ee6452b091b.jpg

for years Ive tried to limit my Industrial Salt consumption for various reasons.

salt at home is another matter w fresh ites

these brats I split in 1/2 sand soak in cold water for a few minutes :

night and day salt wise.   I use red onion and keep the unused portion in the refrig.   it can get very harsh

but a dice and a brief soak in cold water fixes that.

buns nuked for a few seconds for ' steamed buns '

and after the brats were nuked they were torched.   brown mustart

nice !

still packs a punch , but not a knock-down one

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

On 28/09/2017 at 5:32 AM, robirdstx said:

Chicken Taquitos with Sour Cream

So many great looking breakfasts. 

Robirdstx, Unlike Moe I'm not really a big fan of traditional  breakfasts, but I would love your  Chicken Taquitos.

Would be really happy too with Andiesenji's scones and Kim's croissants.

59d10bf3d4f7e_SteamedChickenwithGingerGarlicandGreenOnoinsSeptember30th2017.thumb.jpg.ae2219d0cdafc0008a1ea7b33baf0557.jpg

Made Steamed Chicken with ginger, garlic and green onions for Moe's breakfast yesterday morning, and I

took the same to work with me for lunch.

• Like 5