• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

IMG_1405.thumb.JPG.737c28785e165c2ea695920a8355471e.JPG

Poached eggs on homemade brioche.  What a mismatch.  Never again.  What was I thinking? 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Your polenta looks very creamy and most excellent, Anna. I'm glad you found your way with it.

Thanks. Works for me. Done in the Instant Pot using the bowl in  bowl method. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Fried rice with bacon, chicken, salami, corn, egg.  We are going out of town tomorrow, trying to eat as much of what's in the fridge as possible.  I am so proud of Griswold skillet handling fried rice without anything sticking to it!

IMG_0049.thumb.JPG.db088a8d6b4ca61f67b5ee6f78331d83.JPG

• Like 7

IMG_1424.thumb.JPG.b7d940c72e0e7a23e6b02514b51f01c7.JPG

Soppressata,  eggs scrambled with some basil and toast. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ive never understood the difference between Soppressata and Salami ( genova or maybe ? )

Not sure I understand either even after watching the video. I just find salami, as I usually encounter it, much drier and with less fat content than soppressata.  

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yesterday, the high temp was 108°F here.  Today's breakfast was a Vietnamese Coffee popsicle from the recipe on David Lebovitz's site.  Plenty of caffeine and sugar to start the morning!

So, so jealous.  Still no room in my freezer for such luxuries. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Me too...I'm still picking away at mine but it's very slow going.  When it cools down I plan to make more of an effort even if it means throwing out a lot of stuff.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Anna N said:

4 minutes ago, lindag said:

Me too...I'm still picking away at mine but it's very slow going.

Mine is really no better. My popsicle-freezing space had recently been occupied by slow-roasted tomatoes, stewed tomatoes and chicken broth.  I managed to clear enough space but it now requires a very firm touch to close the door and an advanced-level game of Tetris to find anything!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

47 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Mine is really no better. My popsicle-freezing space had recently been occupied by slow-roasted tomatoes, stewed tomatoes and chicken broth.  I managed to clear enough space but it now requires a very firm touch to close the door and an advanced-level game of Tetris to find anything!

That's such a perfect description!!!  I often get frustrated when trying to find something that I eventually give up and go to the store!  I know it's in there somewhere but cannot find it.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, rotuts said:

Ive never understood the difference between Soppressata and Salami ( genova or maybe ? )

I don't pretend to be an expert on the matter. But in my experience. soppressata has always been more highly seasoned than salami. Or, scratch that -- HOTTER than salami. Dunno if that's a legit difference or just in what I've tried. I know I stay away from anything labelled "hot soppressata," because they ain't kiddin'.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, lindag said:

That's such a perfect description!!!  I often get frustrated when trying to find something that I eventually give up and go to the store!  I know it's in there somewhere but cannot find it.  

I used to do that too, lindag. That is how my freezer became my enemy instead of my friend. Even in high summer, you can clean out your freezer. Just do it the day before your scheduled garbage pickup, or maybe in rural Montana, the day you will haul your own trash to a centrally located dumpster or a town dump. Been there, done that with both of those garbage disposal methods. I realize with the kind of wildlife you have in Montana, setting it out for them would be very dangerous.

I have many more times than once, been digging through overfull freezers, looking for something that was in there, putting everything on the counters. I would set the item aside when found and begin putting stuff back into the freezers. I'll be damned if I haven't crammed the target item back in there, simply because there was no room on the counters to really set it aside. 9_9 It gets quite insane. If I did this again, I'd put the target item in the fridge until I put everything else back.

My freezers may return to their usual unmanageable and wasteful state, but I sure hope not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

> ^ . . ^ <

IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.ef4ad16a375f6d3242a584dfdf19c709.JPG

Jook/congee  made using leftover rice and leftover chicken. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yesterday, the high temp was 108°F here.  Today's breakfast was a Vietnamese Coffee popsicle from the recipe on David Lebovitz's site.  Plenty of caffeine and sugar to start the morning!

This was my breakfast again today and will continue until there is a significant change in the weather.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Taylor Pork Roll

Hardly ever a day goes by that I don't learn something new here.  xD  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1489.thumb.JPG.94bc7e01d80aaa801291f01595393684.JPG

Pita  with three cheeses, some torn  soppressata, tomato and basil. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Hardly ever a day goes by that I don't learn something new here.  xD  

Very good stuff for breakfast or perhaps lunch in a sandwich.

Typically has notches cut in it to counter curling of thin slices.

I just cut them thicker. ;-)