• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

IMG_0920.thumb.JPG.427cacc00b52b13e26ade64b85e90ced.JPG

I thought I would combine breakfast and quality control this morning.  I assembled some savory palmiers  for my daughter and her friends to enjoy as an appetizer.  Caramelized onions, bacon, Gruyere and cheddar.  They failed the quality control check and I will be posting in the Pastry & Baking Section to see if they can be "saved". 

Here.

Edited to add the link 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0982.thumb.JPG.148e74e6a7cde67bee41c46f5fa4a8af.JPG

Fried eggs with chorizo from Le Pain Quotidien.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1028.thumb.JPG.679e95df46d199612ccae020bbb49af1.JPG

Getting my veggies in early today. Roasted green beans and  tomatoes. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1062.thumb.JPG.f34b1512c3f693e5caa8d8b3b0cda718.JPG

Lunch leftovers. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0677.thumb.JPG.2b68128a283ea5e3e897d49381dff80b.JPG

Ready for 20 minutes in a non-preheated oven at 450F. This is the bacon we purchased yesterday at a local meat market. Each slice weighs about 2 ounces.

IMG_0679.thumb.JPG.e71007750c4f18f5037a40398fa563d2.JPG

Followed by farm fresh eggs purchased at our local farmers market, also yesterday. To be fried in the bacon drippings.

IMG_0678.thumb.JPG.a5f227fba6f2cc24dc4127041d44dfea.JPG

A hearty start for a quiet Sunday morning! (My husband added a hash brown patty to his plate.)

IMG_0676.thumb.JPG.f901c14e5b48659bd7f04adb3f545192.JPG

• Like 11

I had occasion to go down to IKEA.   its about 40 min away , and a trip of no merit .

however I had 2 other things to look into on the way

so this is my breakfast :

59999e652e973_JamandEggs.thumb.jpg.babd1e7177ce1fdbc04b0f6099399ec8.jpg

this jam is one of my favorites , and you get it at IKEA  its tart-ish

this is a form of an old fashioned French Country dessert :

an Omelette w jam or jelly in the middle.

in this form , its a slice of sourdough bread from the CSB , the Lingon , and eggs that are not perfectly scrambled nor an Omelette  

somewhere in between 

on top of that.

delicious Id say.

BTW   stopped at Costco  ( not a member ) and their Booze is 2 -  3 dollars a bottle more than

Total Wine.

( errand # 2 )

for completeness sake  # 1 was to Stop by the closest Porsche dealer and sit in a 911S

as a good friend of mine is getting one in a few days from Germany,

no threat of me getting one :   It took me 10 minutes to extract myself from the machine

however , pretty snappy if you're short,

and low to the ground yourself .

PS  try the jam/eggs thing some time

you might be surprised  

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, rotuts said:

IKEA.   its about 40 min away

Lucky you!!! :)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

For those of you who are experiencing cooler weather (or are expecting to), here's recipe I ran across today.

The weather here is still hovering around the 90s so I won't be making my share anytime soon....Hot and really smoky with the windows closed tight.

I've never been a fan of oatmeal but I'm thinking that making it this way may push me over to the other side.

Baked Oatmeal

since the recipe serves eight, I'm wondering if I could make the whole recipe and then cut it into squares and freeze the excess...?

Do you think that would work ok?

Edited by lindag (log)

@DiggingDogFarm 

your are correct.

but shuck a dull trip.

Back When in the SF area ,  on the peninsula a new IKEA  

came to E.PaloAlro.

as this is the Breakfast Thread :

that one was about 15 minutes away

from my home.  I used to go there for Breakfast if I went exploring

One thing IKEA does well is their Restaurant

Breakfast @ 1.99    bacon and eggs etc

coffee terrible.

but the Local Seniors were always there In Force  

they also9 have some wonderful Duck Down/feathered Pillow.

and Swedish MeatBalls !

always check the Restaurant.

I had gravlax for 4.99

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/food/

always check out the Restaurant

back when  , and indeed Back When

they used to have a Smogasborad   2 - 3 times a year

you had to receiver a place

delicious it was.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rotuts said:

but shuck a dull trip.

Wish I was closer. I'd tag along! xD

I think the closest IKEA to me is the one just north of Philly—200+ miles! O.o

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

20 hours ago, lindag said:

For those of you who are experiencing cooler weather (or are expecting to), here's recipe I ran across today.

The weather here is still hovering around the 90s so I won't be making my share anytime soon....Hot and really smoky with the windows closed tight.

I've never been a fan of oatmeal but I'm thinking that making it this way may push me over to the other side.

Baked Oatmeal

since the recipe serves eight, I'm wondering if I could make the whole recipe and then cut it into squares and freeze the excess...?

So...granola bars by any other name? 

I'd wrap them and store them at room temp, but I don't see any reason they wouldn't freeze and thaw perfectly well. They might perhaps be a bit tacky to the touch when you open them up. 

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

21 hours ago, lindag said:

Baked Oatmeal

That's the same recipe we used in the restaurant I worked in.  You could try it but the oatmeal didn't set up so much that we could cut it.  We stored it in the container we cooked it in then reheated in the microwave for service ... if we had leftovers.  It was quite a popular dish.......

• Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:42 AM, rotuts said:

this is a form of an old fashioned French Country dessert :

an Omelette w jam or jelly in the middle.

We used to love a jelly omelette  for Sunday supper ... unless we had rice with butter and sugar.

Brunch here was white country toast, Cain's mayo, thinly sliced Purple Cherokee tomatoes, some Bermuda onion marmalade(brought home from Bermuda)  and local red leaf lettuce. 

John has a tomato basil wrap with turkey and some of that local lettuce as we are off for Dr appointments and getting our driver's licenses renewed - new pictures!!! WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

IMG_1197.thumb.JPG.ad60b2c5ca6f172b91aef3d9fd58e9b9.JPG

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog