• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

IMG_0757.thumb.JPG.062393119ead12bb339c9de8673408fd.JPG

Toasted brioche, goat cheese, walnuts and roasted grapes. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

BLFGT. One of the South's finest inventions. I'm glad to see it go nationwide!

ETA: The "insides" make a good salad, too -- bacon, lettuce, fried green tomatoes, some sort of creamy mayo-based dressing. To kick it up a notch, add ripe tomatoes as well, along with some corn kernels, and use fried okra for "croutons." Then you almost have the tomato salad from Hot and Hot Fish Club in Birmingham, which is a thing of beauty.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

IMG_0773.thumb.JPG.2da77310b5f21111d4efacba4362a3bf.JPG

Learning to like avocado. This might be breakfast.   Might be lunch.  Might be the only meal of the day.  Time will tell. Toast, mashed avocado, lime juice, sumac and tomato. 

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0790.thumb.JPG.445595ea3c7c70ae12afd36afcdf4f57.JPG

I am not obsessed with polenta and anyone who says I am is just wrong.  And I know why the other name for this green vegetable is dinosaur kale. Only the teeth of a dinosaur could possibly break it down. It even challenged the "jaws" of my Thermomix.  So there you have it. A purée of kale, a cocktail tomato and a poached egg over some cheesy polenta. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0850.thumb.JPG.85571c4b30cd4de0dcb12a69d883bf04.JPG

My attempt at Elizabeth David's Omelette Molière.  I am sure she would be horrified that my ineptness resulted in colour.  In my defense she also said,

"But one of the main points about the enjoyment of food and wine seems to me to lie in having what you want when you want it and in the particular combination you fancy."

I fancy a little colour on my omelette. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Did a 1.5% equalibrium brine on a piece of salmon for 24 hrs.  Trying this over a high salt gradient brine method.  Cold smoked for an hour over orange wood

The salt flavor was fine but the texture closer to raw compared to the gradient brine method  which tends to firm up the flesh a bit. 

Served with bagels, cream cheese,  tomato, cucumber and preserved lime

image.thumb.jpeg.97cf7830362fe5d360fddad96575070e.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris  

Scrapple and eggs look good  ....................

OK, I gotta ask...Have you ever actually eaten a zucchini and if so, how was it prepared? Is it a texture thing? I cannot imagine such a mild flavor that takes on seasonings so well being at all  offensive.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

@HungryChris 

good question

i have indeed had Zuuuks , even home grown

for me the issue is " wetness "   as in all summer squash.

there are ways to remove the water w salt , etc

but thats a PITA

I do enjoy summer squash  

via the Cuisinart   w the match-stick blade :

Cuisinart DLC-833TXAMZ 3-by-3mm Medium Square Julienne Disc

perhaps this one ?  not so sure if this is the exact one I use

I process the summer squash just before serving   as a salad.

that I like as its still firm.

but cooked ....................

consider this :  with this type of blade

based on you Cuisi or othet

cut the ends off the Zuuks

create the match- sticks at the last moment  as then then weep

add some sort of minimal  Breakfast Dressing

and try that w your Scrapple Breakfast

clearly you are looking for some Crunch

add some roasted nuts to the matchstick item

may be some dried cranberries from Tj ?

you won't look back !

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 1

IMG_0885.thumb.JPG.41e4d7cbe8138191c3d0370be86647d4.JPG

My interpretation of this.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

47 minutes ago, lindag said:

Mom, who was from Pennsylvania Dutch country, loved scrapple but Dad did not, so I've  never had it to this day.

I should change that.

No, you really probably shouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

599313dd554ea_cantaloupe0814.jpg.fa28bfa6003a4311cf5d73c96573b211.jpg

Canteloupe and cottage cheese. Disappointing canteloupe, which aggravated me; got it at the farmers' market, and it should have been luscious this time of year. I may chunk the rest of the bowl. Just tasteless.

Today was steel cut oats. Didn't photograph it. Just not photogenic.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

19 minutes ago, kayb said:

599313dd554ea_cantaloupe0814.jpg.fa28bfa6003a4311cf5d73c96573b211.jpg

Canteloupe and cottage cheese. Disappointing canteloupe, which aggravated me; got it at the farmers' market, and it should have been luscious this time of year. I may chunk the rest of the bowl. Just tasteless.

Is this fairly common in farmer's markets where you are? I've bought produce at the Union Square Greenmarket that was, at best, sub-par. I now go to only one vendor because their stuff is always good. I have long felt that the USGM has very poor quality control, and for the prices that they ask (and get), it is inexcusable. I thought it was only here in NYC. I'm just wondering how common this might be?

3 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Is this fairly common in farmer's markets where you are? I've bought produce at the Union Square Greenmarket that was, at best, sub-par. I now go to only one vendor because their stuff is always good. I have long felt that the USGM has very poor quality control, and for the prices that they ask (and get), it is inexcusable. I thought it was only here in NYC. I'm just wondering how common this might be?

No, it's pretty unusual. And I've typically had good produce from this vendor. There's only one at the market I tend to stay away from, and his stuff is often just old.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.