• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

Inspired by @Anna N's post over here, I riffed on the same recipe for Baked Kashkaval with Sweet Tomato Relish and Egg Yolks from Michael Solomonov's Zahav.

IMG_5762.thumb.jpg.17f799c79abc0afa493dd317b66c41f6.jpg

No Kashkaval here so I used a mix of Cabot extra sharp cheddar, Gruyere and Taleggio cheeses and added uncalled for avocado, cilantro and a dusting of smoked paprika.

• Like 13

Croque-Madame from David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen on the Multigrain Bread from the same book.  

IMG_5776.thumb.jpg.968f8aabc8cca6b9e2d612c3ed97e183.jpg

As you can see from the photo, I followed the guidance in the header notes and my first move was "to slash open the egg yolk with a knife, letting it run all over the sandwich and making rivulets of sauce to dip forkfuls of the sandwich into." Who could resist that invitation? 

Apparently, not me :D and I'm glad I tried it, though I probably won't make it again. I do love a good grilled cheese but I'd prefer a thin layer of grainy mustard instead of the béchamel and I don't necessarily need more cheese on the outside of the sandwich. I think I complained over in the baking topic that the Multigrain Bread was rather dense.  Here, that was a virtue and it held up admirably with some crunch left in the very last bite. 

• Like 10

15 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Leftovers on polenta:

IMG_5781.thumb.jpg.f69e9a8b7453cf0b582109c3b4e7acb9.jpg

I cooked up a quick batch of polenta in the IP and topped it with one of the cod cakes in tomato sauce from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem from last night's dinner.

Very nice-looking breakfast, blue_dolphin.

That polenta looks exactly like the white corn grits I cook up. I like them creamy and loose like that too. If you cook an extra serving and put it on a salad plate in in the fridge overnight, you can fry it in a little oil the next day for something even more delicious. It will thicken up and solidify overnight. Fried grits/polenta pop oil like crazy, though, so if you decide to do it and have a spatter or fine pizza screen, it will be called for. They sure do taste good, though. You want them golden brown on both sides, but no need to use a lot of oil and if you blot them on paper, very little grease. So good.

The last time I fried leftover grits, I realized my stainless splatter screen could be used as a pizza screen. It has a handle, but that is stainless too, so could go in the oven with no problem. So it was elevated from unitasker and is now stored with the pizza pans and perforated pizza pans in a much more accessible place. It's probably 13" diameter, designed to cover a 12" skillet.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Fried polenta with @ElainaA's Slow Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce

IMG_5784.thumb.jpg.0135fd2b029135e80ed8822d60134553.jpg

7 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

If you cook an extra serving and put it on a salad plate in in the fridge overnight, you can fry it in a little oil the next day for something even more delicious.

This is pretty much what I did, except I used a storage container instead of a salad plate.  I prefer to make it a bit thicker and should have chosen a smaller container but this was fine - nothing wrong with more crispy edges!

• Like 10

Bruschetta, scrapple and thinly sliced, lightly sautéed zucchini that was dusted with freshly grated Romano cheese. The fresh salsa has a habanero from the garden. Salsa and scrapple are a combination I cannot refuse.

HC

IMG_0188.thumb.JPG.6da8f9b2bddadb2b0fa9a9c11efcad85.JPGIMG_0189.thumb.JPG.aa60959ec979f63f196246da70ff1273.JPG 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Fried polenta with @ElainaA's Slow Roasted Cherry Tomato

Have to tell you I'm green with envy. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Bacon fried in my newly acquired Griswold #8 skillet.  When bacon was nice and ready, I pushed it aside and fried the eggs.  Disclaimers.  I did not cut the bacon, bought it pre cut.  It was probably the end piece and had a very nice meat to fat ratio.  Also the amount of bacon is for two people.  DH likes his eggs scrambled and those were cooked separately.

IMG_0007.thumb.JPG.d2b3056c142bb03e4d8d5939e1fc844c.JPG

• Like 13

I love the pattern on the large dish: it makes for a very striking photo.  

Welcome back into your cooking groove!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Breakfast today, zucchini two ways, eggs over easy on sage butter toast, and scrapple. This picture highlights two of my lofty goals for today: Make salsa, conspicuous by its absence, and find a place to plant Deb's grandson's summer school project, a pumpkin plant and a bean plant. At least I have hopes for the bean being productive, but have my doubts about the pumpkin. It also alludes to another goal, this one a seasonal one or maybe two:  Use every squash the garden produces and do not allow a single squash to even approach canoe size. So far, so good!

HC

IMG_0277.thumb.JPG.a19c34b6c3ccd86aead9537e00fb5c7d.JPG 

• Like 7

36224116036_1933078ddc_z.jpg

Open-faced breakfast sandwiches on whole grain toast, with Duke's mayo. And a bit of that potato/cucumber salad.

Need to be more careful transferring the thinly sliced egg to the bread!

• Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Polenta topped with broccoli, sautéed with garlic, fried egg and shaved Parmesan 

IMG_5828.thumb.jpg.c17208b2de880ff94601e11abc700346.jpg

A modification of the recipe for Polenta with Broccoli Rabe and Fried Eggs from Melissa Clark's Dinner.  

Single serving of polenta cooked in the Instant Pot as described here.

• Like 9