• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

Fatteh for brunch. Thick goat milk yogurt with garlic, parsley mixed with chili, salt, a hint of date molasses and tahini. Crisply toasted pita chips, to partly soak juices from the yogurt and hot chickpeas. Tomatoes, toasted cashews and almonds.

20170630_132537.thumb.jpg.7966e47dc8c9831fb8b8b66f82d271e3.jpg20170630_132603.thumb.jpg.3fc1f9f96bfcc4a31b1a776bfa4b9b8c.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

That's different than the fattehs I've seen in Egypt, which have meat and seem more like evening meals.  Thanks for ths idea, @shain.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

That's different than the fattehs I've seen in Egypt, which have meat and seem more like evening meals.  Thanks for ths idea, @shain.

You whetted my curiosity. I don't know a thing about it but my research suggests that the only common denominator is bread of some sort.  Hoping the experts will chime in. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Another fridge clean up breakfast.   3 small Idaho potatos grated, fine diced onion and celery + grated nub of a zucchini + 2 beaten eggs = one big potato pancake cut into quarters 

i just had one quarter (cold) for lunch after several hours of yard work before diving in the pool to cool off.  I'm a sucker for cold refrigerator pulls 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

You whetted my curiosity. I don't know a thing about it but my research suggests that the only common denominator is bread of some sort.  Hoping the experts will chime in. 

To the best of my knowledge, fatteh/fatta/fattah (depends on the transliteration) means "broken" and is named for the chunks of bread that go into one layer. (It's another of those good uses for stale bread.) Now that I've gone back into my books, I see that I do have a "fatteh hummus bi laban" that is chickpeas with yogurt - along the lines of Shain's recipe. I need to dive into that book again!

You can see one of my attempts at a chicken-based fatteh here, with some very good constructive commentary afterward.  I made it more difficult than necessary, something at which I'm exceptionally good.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

You can see one of my attempts at a chicken-based fatteh here, with some very good constructive commentary afterward.  I made it more difficult than necessary, something at which I'm exceptionally good.

Thoroughly enjoyed. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Since I left hospital last week, they're encouraging me to eat a high protein diet to make up for weight loss during the proceedings. One doctor recommended 6 eggs a day. I ain't going there.

But I am willing to have a couple, which was my plan this morning. Unfortunately, the fridge is somewhat bare and there was but one lonely duck egg.

OK. I'll have that in a sandwich, I thought. One problem. No bread. I haven't baked since I escaped.

Still a resourceful young chap likes me can throw together a bit of flat bread, so here it is. With the egg. (Had I been entertaining, I would have been more careful with the shape, but it was only me. No one is going to see.)

breakfast.thumb.jpg.65640f8d002b64a9b817124aa6214576.jpg

Could have done with that other egg, but it was enough to get the day started. Have now procured more eggs.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Since leaving hospital last week, they're encouraging me to eat a high protein diet to make up for weight loss during the proceedings. One doctor recommended 6 eggs a day. I ain't going there.

But I am willing to have a couple, which was my plan this morning. Unfortunately, the fridge is somewhat bare and there was but one lonely duck egg.

OK. I'll have that in a sandwich, I thought. One problem. No bread. I haven't baked since I escaped.

Still a resourceful young chap likes me can throw together a bit of flat bread, so here it is. With the egg. (Had I been entertaining, I would have been more careful with the shape, but it was only me. No one is going to see.)

breakfast.thumb.jpg.65640f8d002b64a9b817124aa6214576.jpg

Could have done with that other egg, but it was enough to get the day started. Have now procured more eggs.

So good to see you posting again  about meals you have cooked, liuzhou!

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Now, that we have returned to some semblance of normality, added to the fact that the zucchinis are starting to flow from the garden: One poached egg on buttered toast (also the last one in the house) fried zucchini and spicy garlic and lemon aioli.

HC

IMG_1400.thumb.JPG.92be084cefd1c06647eefcc21f84842d.JPGIMG_1401.thumb.JPG.37ca75615edf034fd2e5d80dd4153175.JPG

• Like 7

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

One doctor recommended 6 eggs a day.

While I doubt that I could manage 6 eggs in a day, your post did remind me that I was missing my eggs!  Pure failure to plan. So this morning:

IMG_3840.thumb.JPG.373eb0d5acdcf9b09a4e08c808dc7d58.JPG

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

This morning. Egg rebellion.

Pork and shepherd's purse wontons in a chicken stock with chilli, Shanghai bok choy, shiitake mushrooms, white pepper and finished with Chinese chives.

huntun.thumb.jpg.d092fcbfaddaf8345ec31f3fbcd050b8.jpg

Sorry for hazy image. The soup was still steaming hot.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Picked the first of the green beans yesterday. Not enough to do much with, so I decided to bread and fry them and have them with scrapple and eggs over easy for breakfast. They look a lot darker than they are in this picture. We had fried green beans at P. F. Changs a few years ago, which we both liked. These were quite good.

HC

IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.6f099505246f00231a83b24acc4fdfa1.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 4

20170715_122524.thumb.jpg.cc7ea5feddf9f2ca627df4044ba86f85.jpgThe remains of a breakfast pizza the kids, grandkids and I decimated this morning.

Going to see how the leftovers heat up in the CSO tomorrow.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Another hot and muggy day here.  Woke up at 430 this morning, opened up the doors so the cool air could flow freely and mix with the air from the open windows overnight and I woul3 rid be able to cook something. 

3 ripe local peaches, 1/2 lb 93% beef, 3 chicken breasts...so to work.

Roasted the chicken breasts to use later and made sloppy joes with the beef.

Peeled and chopped the peaches, dusted them with toast dope, made a batter and .... voila .....   peach cake with whipped topping.   That is what was for breakfast this morning.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

59728fbb80e0f_Frnechtoast0721.jpg.3c0034336117a85967ae1b1ba7d9c62a.jpg

Please forgive horribly blurry cell phone photo. French toast from sourdough from the Farmers' Market. As I have been grandmothering all week, this is one of the two times the stove has been turned on all week.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com