• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

image.thumb.jpeg.6a6c8d5105b5a7e9671eef40242659d2.jpeg

Perhaps I should have followed my first instinct and rolled over and gone back to sleep again. Sad. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Yesterday’s breakfast:

DSCN7097.JPG.f73dbf87516df585cb9da56df204e682.JPG

Cherries, rye toast, sausage and egg.  You know, I love sausage with a natural casing – except for these little breakfast links.  You can’t get them off before cooking and they draw up and burst and shred and if you don’t pull them off (a PITA), they make the sausages sticky and have an unpleasant texture.>:(

Our favourite butcher makes sausage with casings which sound like yours.  I asked about them and they said they were synthetic casing, hummm.  Anyway, they make sausage patties with the same meat:  I think they make a loaf with the meat, roll it in cornmeal and then slice them.  I like the patties much better.

• Like 1

Broiled Grapefruit with Star Anise Sugar and Elderflower Yogurt from Ottolenghi's cookbook, NOPI.

IMG_5432.thumb.jpg.72c4edd7b3eb0c29b1f5de6db76f6c71.jpg

I made this because I really couldn't imagine how grapefruit and yogurt were going to taste good together and I had the star anise-sugar leftover from another recipe. I'm glad I tried it.  It's actually rather good but way more fiddly than I care to bother with ever again.

The fruit is removed from halved grapefruits, seeds and pith removed and (supposedly) cut into 2 cm cubes before being piled back into the empty shells, sprinkled with the star anise-sugar and broiled. A torch would have been helpful for caramelizing the sugar as it was taking a long time under the broiler.

The yogurt is flavored with grapefruit zest and a reduction of grapefruit juice, Grand Marnier and elderflower cordial and ends up working very well with grapefruit and caramelized star anise-sugar.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The fruit is removed from halved grapefruits, seeds and pith removed and (supposedly) cut into 2 cm cubes before being piled back into the empty shell

So how did those 2 cm cubes work out?  xD:D

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.8762c392b82b99f1357570555d88f511.jpeg

Based on an Ottolenghi recipe from Jerusalem.  No butternut squash in the house and the two red onions I had saved for just this purpose had already gone to the great compost heap in the sky.  Sweet potato and white onions had to stand in.   My tahini sauce missed the mark both in taste and consistency. But his recipes are such that even with all these substitutions and missteps I still ended up with a very interesting breakfast.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks really good, @Anna N - I have that recipe on the docket for today or tomorrow.  I was thinking of putting it on top of a pile of arugula.  

I certainly have a pile of it!  In my impatience at the farmers market, I reached across another shopper to grab a big bunch of spinach.  Turns out it was arugula.  I already had arugula at home.  In an effort to lighten the arugula load in my fridge, I made a variation of the Baked Eggs with Yogurt and Chile from Ottolenghi's Plenty, which calls for 300g ( ~ 3/4 lb) of arugula for 2 servings.   

My salad spinner with 150 g of arugula for my single serving:

IMG_5446.thumb.jpg.b55344b2ba7458254e421d2268f5f903.jpg

As you can see, some of the leaves are pretty big and it's very peppery!

And the finished dish:

IMG_5448.thumb.jpg.dabe85dc5ec79baba7cecb3d2e7314d7.jpg

I substituted a mixture of Aleppo pepper, sweet paprika and red chile flakes for the kırmızı biber in the recipe, which calls for heating the pepper in butter and pouring it over the dish for serving.  

I fried my eggs in the butter-pepper mixture instead of baking them in the greens and then poured on the rest of the butter.

I really enjoyed this and will certainly make it again.

• Like 7

image.jpeg.7bc2fd1d44580c3643d75b262c0ee32e.jpeg

Comforting rather than exciting.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.a3eb02ef6ca6f4abed6588bd0330591f.jpeg

Happy to give a nod to Diana Henry for the concept but the execution and the ingredients are mine and mine alone.:DxD

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I left home on Monday morning at 6:30 expecting to be back in the early evening. I got back at 10:30 pm last night (Wednesday). Of course, the two loaves of bread I had baked and left  behind had grown fur coats. Had I known I'd be trapped, I would have frozen them.

So, I woke up this morning breadless. Making chapattis* at 5 am is odd behaviour, even by my standards, but when you got to go...

So breakfast. A couple of boiled duck eggs served with freshly made chapattis*

5941ca6fd7548_chapatiegg.thumb.jpg.2cde03a0a8f179cf3b1c5c0eb2d62286.jpg

* With apologies to the entire Indian sub-continent and all aficionados of that cuisine for my sad chapatti making skills. They tasted OK, I promise.

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg.3c5d33c7eaaf364d9ead11bf7381a2ce.jpg

Some days it's wise to acknowledge and respect your limitations.  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

What I would do for a Jamaican patty right now. I love them, but it's been over 20 years.

And if my ship ever comes in or my transporter gets fixed I'll make sure you get some.xDxDxD

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

A brioche-crusted "pizza" with caramelized onion, feta, roasted pepper, tomato & olives from Ottolenghi. 

IMG_5470.thumb.jpg.455b4267d4cb17ddbcd3a071034ee15d.jpg

I baked these yesterday and posted over in the Savory Baking topic.  I froze the extras and this one was thawed and re-heated 5 min steam-bake, 325°F in the CSO.   The re-heating worked perfectly which makes it more likely that I will make them again and play around with some different toppings. 

• Like 5

image.thumb.jpeg.787965c98d1b0fd4a3f5997aa51bf7a1.jpeg

Omelet adapted from a Diana Henry recipe and the cucumber salad is from Ottolenghi. Omelet was tasty salad was meh.   I do think it's time to buy some fresh sumac. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Royal Potato Salad from Ottolenghi's Plenty.  Basically potatoes, pesto, petite peas and soft boiled eggs. 

IMG_5499.thumb.jpg.db09eaa27f3e309b6462c983674eb0f9.jpg

The recipe calls for Jersey Royal potatoes and quail eggs.  I used the smallest yellow Dutch potatoes in the bag and while I'm sure the quail eggs would have looked darling, I went with regular chicken eggs.  

This was a delicious breakfast while everything was still warm. I'll be curious how it holds up if it sits at room temp for a while.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Royal Potato Salad from Ottolenghi's Plenty.  Basically potatoes, pesto, petite peas and soft boiled eggs. 

IMG_5499.thumb.jpg.db09eaa27f3e309b6462c983674eb0f9.jpg

The recipe calls for Jersey Royal potatoes and quail eggs.  I used the smallest yellow Dutch potatoes in the bag and while I'm sure the quail eggs would have looked darling, I went with regular chicken eggs.  

This was a delicious breakfast while everything was still warm. I'll be curious how it holds up if it sits at room temp for a while.

This looks like an absolutely glorious idea. How long does the Rx specify one should boil quail eggs for soft-boiled? (My local Asian market has them; I have just laid in eight, count them eight, pounds of mortadella from Aldi against the next time I want pickled quail eggs and sausage, and it would be simple enough to do some of this as well. They have gotten used, bless their hearts, to the crazy gaijin woman coming in and buying them out of quail eggs periodically...)

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

This looks like an absolutely glorious idea. How long does the Rx specify one should boil quail eggs for soft-boiled? (My local Asian market has them; I have just laid in eight, count them eight, pounds of mortadella from Aldi against the next time I want pickled quail eggs and sausage, and it would be simple enough to do some of this as well. They have gotten used, bless their hearts, to the crazy gaijin woman coming in and buying them out of quail eggs periodically...)

It was really quite tasty!  I found the recipe instructions for cooking the quail eggs to be less than precise and figured that if I found them, I'd need to test it out myself.  Here's what it says:

Place the quail's eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil.  Simmer for between 30 seconds (soft boiled) and 2 minutes (hard boiled), depending on how you like them cooked.  Refresh in cold water, then peel.