• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

Red Pepper and Baked Egg Galette from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem

59342ad5b6fd9_IMG_5348(1).thumb.jpg.7db6401c18c00a96807e44faa53a154b.jpg

I'm sure this would have been better if I'd used the specified "best quality, all-butter" puff pastry instead of Pepperidge Farm frozen stuff but hey, it puffed so I'm not complaining :D

• Like 10

Yikes !

@blue_dolphin   

It seems I need to visit

to not just say hello to Patrick and Michael  

perhaps the kitties  

but 

To Eat Large  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no worries

I more or less anaphalax 

w airport security 

just saying

• Like 2

Fried rice with duck egg, asparagus, scallion, yellow bell pepper, Russian sausage, red chilli pepper. Fridge clearance, really.

breakfast.thumb.jpg.780f4e6611c8d17b281d23a437976105.jpg

Isn't it odd how clearing the trash from the fridge can provide the best breakfast of the past week or so?

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Isn't it odd how clearing the trash from the fridge can provide the best breakfast of the past week or so?

And isn't it odd how liuzhou has such an epiphany after giving others a hard time recently for using fried rice as a dumping ground for leftovers? :D

I'm glad you've seen the light and had a great breakfast.

Russian sausage? Do you have many Russian imports in China? I don't think I've ever seen a single product over here from Russia. 

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

And isn't it odd how liuzhou has such an epiphany after giving others a hard time recently for using fried rice as a dumping ground for leftovers?

I never did any such thing. My breakfast today is in complete accord with anything I have previously said.

I previously mentioned unbalanced, inappropriate additions to fried rice. I selected my ingredients carefully. I had other leftovers I could have "dumped" therein but then I am not a complete philistine.

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Russian sausage? Do you have many Russian imports in China? I don't think I've ever seen a single product over here from Russia. 

Northern China has many more, but yes, Russian stuff wends its way down here. Areas of Beijing are very Russian. When I first arrived in China, I spent a lot of time there. I could understand people! I had no Chinese then.

That said, we often get "Russian" stuff, too. Nothing wrong with it. It just means that it is Russian style rather than actually made in Russia. But still often made by Russians. The Chinese labelling is unambiguous.

The sausage this morning was imported from Russia (about ten minutes from the border) but we often get "Harbin Red Sausage", which is Russian in all but name.

Russian vodka is very cheap here compared with the UK.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I bought this corn meal dusted hard roll to make a sandwich for Deb to take to work, but she opted to take red curry chicken and cilantro lime rice, leftover from dinner so I decided to make a breakfast sandwich and everyone was happy!

HC

IMG_2376.thumb.JPG.a54d4bc0fb9f46c83a46a9607e94dce2.JPGIMG_2377.thumb.JPG.ecc13ba27196fea098d247eb0af9e622.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 4

@rotuts – the fat is almost gone by the time it finishes cooking.  It just leaves behind a rich and unctuous flavor. 

@Thanks for the Crepes – It’s funny – I’ve never tasted mutton, that I know of.  I suspect that I might actually like it.  Since being introduced to lamb at age 8 by my English step-dad, I’ve loved it – the stronger the flavor, the better.  As a matter of fact, I complain a lot that today’s lamb tastes too bland for me.  I bet my wonderful butcher-lady could get me some! 

• Like 1

image.jpeg.3b5009edf943b770d3ac0ac5fce0deb8.jpeg

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.b5a63548f1caa61ae4b30dded9697462.jpeg

Nudged/inspired by @blue_dolphin  once again, I knew I should make better use of my copies of all of the Ottolenghi books in my Kindle collection.  This is from Jerusalem. Tomatoes are fried, topped  with a mixture of chopped parsley, garlic and fresh chilli, turned over  for a minute and then served with some bread.   Definitely will wake up your taste buds first thing in the morning and probably give you some solitude for the rest of the day.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Deb mentioned that she really liked French toast, something I never knew. Now, truth be told, I was a fat kid, so French toast was something I eliminated from my menu a long time ago and is something I have not made since I still held tenure in the kitchen of my youth, but I accepted the challenge. The first step, it seemed was to bake some bread and while it cooled, get some nutmeg and maple syrup.

IMG_2380.thumb.JPG.0291d82e5187a0ad03b73409b26c68c3.JPG

The first test run was held privately, but the results were good.

IMG_2402.thumb.JPG.2c005ce2307b9a3fb4c5d782ac2b801c.JPGIMG_2403.thumb.JPG.875ebab2d2a0b80d5f09f356b33dcf9c.JPG

While I will not be making it for myself again any time soon, old habits die hard, I don't, at all, mind whipping up a batch for Deb from time to time. She took some in to work to reheat for breakfast and was quite happy with it!

• Like 7

@HungryChris,

Deb is a VERY cherished person. 

image.jpeg.ed03d2042e922dd60534fcc2337be039.jpeg

This began life as an Ottolenghi inspired recipe is for an omelet and morphed into something not quite an omelette, not quite a frittata and about 3 km away from where it started in terms of concept and execution.  Nevertheless it made for a tasty and filling breakfast.  

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, I think I might have called that an ome-tata, but either way, it looks delicious!

Now that @HungryChris has established the evils of French toast, I might as well pile on with a variation of the French Toast with Orange Yogurt from Ottolenghi's NOPI.

IMG_5413.thumb.jpg.2aa5bb6e4934dffc6b166f61df854c58.jpg

The recipe has the French toast slices fried briefly in an abundant amount of butter, then baked in the oven for a few minutes and finally dipped into a star anise-sugar mixture before serving.  The two-step cooking method is a very good idea if you're serving a group as the slices can be fried in batches but finished all together and come out of the oven all puffy and warm.  The star anise sugar is delightful (leftovers will be incorporated into my next batch of toast dope) but rather than a dip at the end, I prefer to sprinkle a little of the star anise-sugar on the toast while it's in the pan so it gets caramelized and crispy.   

No oranges around so I subbed tangerine zest and juice when mixing up the orange yogurt.  The recipe specifies a mixed berry compote made by cooking frozen berries with sugar and lemon juice.  I subbed a few spoonfuls of the Cherries in Red Wine Syrup that I made recently from a recipe from David Leibovitz.   The recipe says to serve, "with the berry compote alongside and the orange yogurt spooned on top."  I'm not sure if I was supposed to spoon the yogurt on top of the compote or the French toast so I put them both on the side. I most assuredly didn't want cold yogurt on my hot toast :P

The Trader Joe's sliced French brioche worked well and I liked the star anise flavor but I'd be just as happy to skip the compote and yogurt, let the French toast shine on its own and just have some fresh fruit on the side.   I might try mixing orange zest and juice into some ricotta to put on regular toast.

• Like 8

Having birthday celebration for a friends of mine by buying him a special cake, Nasi Lemak Cake during breakfast.

1. Nasi Lemak (literally fat rice) Cake

• Nasi Lemak - as per Wikipedia, a Malay fragrant rice dish cooked in coconut milk and pandan leaf. Traditionally served with sambal, anchovies, peanuts and boiled egg.
  • Sambal  - hot sauce made from main ingredients such as chilis and belacan (fermented shrimp paste)
  • not really a cake, it just made into cake shape, a bit like how you make sushi or onigiri. 

Next, we went for our main course,

2. Bak Kut Teh (literally meat bone tea) - had both version, the original soup version and dry version.

nasi lemak cake_01.jpg

nasi lemak cake_02.jpg

Bak Kut Teh.jpg

Dry Bak Kut Teh.jpg

• Like 8

I love the cake. I knew someone who'd done a meatloaf cake with mashed potato "icing" for her meat-and-potatoes hubby one year, but this is definitely at a higher level. :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

image.jpeg.946d48cf57fa44936bd9d61c66483e8d.jpeg

Cross posted on the Cuisinart Steam Oven topic. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:40 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Maybe not before but give it time!

Yesterday’s breakfast:

DSCN7097.JPG.f73dbf87516df585cb9da56df204e682.JPG

Cherries, rye toast, sausage and egg.  You know, I love sausage with a natural casing – except for these little breakfast links.  You can’t get them off before cooking and they draw up and burst and shred and if you don’t pull them off (a PITA), they make the sausages sticky and have an unpleasant texture.>:(

• Like 8