• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

image.jpeg.d3880b2276a423ab6e39f8092b16f331.jpeg

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.fcae4dfbc8549bac6b2dceacd839d82f.jpeg

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.ce3780a28ddba0748bbf14ac8f87f1bc.jpeg

Asparagus roasted in Cuisinart steam oven. 425°F steam bake for 10 minutes. (I also baked some sweet potato wedges in there but in the process of some quality control testing managed to eat them up while all standing in the kitchen lifting them right off the foil-lined tray.)  I make no apologies.  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday, I went with friends to a u-pick cherry place and came home with about 6 lbs of sweet cherries (after eating about a pound in the car on the way back :$)

First up:  Sweet-Sour Macerated Cherries With Almonds, Basil, and Ricotta on toasted ciabatta.  

IMG_5318.thumb.jpg.39ae7160c3601b0db7850ec483b710bd.jpg

Adapted slightly from this recipe on Serious Eats. 

• Like 15

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Asparagus roasted in Cuisinart steam oven. 425°F steam bake for 10 minutes. (I also baked some sweet potato wedges in there but in the process of some quality control testing managed to eat them up while all standing in the kitchen lifting them right off the foil-lined tray.)  I make no apologies.  

Quality control is not optional.  I hear chefs on TV saying "taste, taste, taste" and I do. I do. I do.  Most of the time my only "paying" customer is my husband.  No sweet potato wedges?  No problem. He will gladly eat asparagus ;) 

• Like 1

Here's a non-chicken breakfast.  From yesterday.  I wasn't going to post it because it's not particularly attractive but it was very good.  

Leftover from a dinner out, pasta with squid ink and seafood sauce.  

IMG_5323.thumb.jpg.c9843959a98fc8b0fe770332d7421be6.jpg

I ate the shrimp and scallops that accompanied this in the first go round but saved the little roasted tomato for a centerpiece :D.

• Like 7

The RRO breakfast of champions; oat porridge congee, cooked in chicken stock and dressed with green onion, white pepper, soy sauce, Lao Gan Ma black bean chili oil, crispy shallots, salted leek flower sauce and a dollop of duck fat.

And some sour Japanese pickled honey plums as a chaser.

And a fresh, homemade soy milk, not shown.

IMG_5873.thumb.JPG.0cea8a182b1683470d7622df4dabb792.JPG

• Like 7

Today is the big Dragon boat race in Central, Hong Kong. And for some reason I support the Japanese team (as my one does not compete in this race). Got up veeeeeery early to make miniature brezel bread rolls, followed by assembling them into sandwiches with cured pork belly with caraway, onion marmelade (with honey & mustard) and greens. It was well received :P ...

WP_20170602_18_56_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20170603_08_13_27_Rich.jpg

WP_20170603_08_13_37_Rich.jpg

WP_20170603_08_13_47_Rich.jpg

WP_20170603_08_38_27_Rich.jpg

WP_20170603_08_57_30_Rich.jpg

WP_20170603_09_04_06_Rich.jpg

WP_20170603_09_22_17_Rich.jpg

• Like 18

Yesterday's brunch:

Fava and mixed beans (in PC) flavored with rosemary, cumin, chili and lemon. Labneh with zaatar. A salad of boiled egg, pickled cucumbers, fresh green chili, tomates, parsley and onion.

Not pictured are charred pita breads and a generous drizzle of EVOO just before serving.

20170530_135727(1).thumb.jpg.c41cd19d2acaa164eb74a948d32cc382.jpg

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg.dbaecd1bd38f880459e1821b9875a544.jpeg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Watched an episode of “Chopped” a couple of nights ago.  It was won by local butcher, Tanya Cauthen of Belmont Butchery.  We’ve been going there since it opened and consider that we are extremely lucky to have such an incredible butcher shop in our fairly small city.  We bought some stuff for dinner and a couple of things for breakfast (more later about the other breakfast item) including lamb bacon that is done in house:

DSCN7065.JPG.2bc563affc5d544971fc60038e0c6fe1.JPG

Breakfast:

DSCN7066.JPG.4c710b53b763b3452c3d67a8122a94b0.JPG

Toasted bread from a local bakery – The Flour Garden, scrambled eggs from Mr. Kim’s co-worker, lamb bacon and cherries.  The cherries were the only non-local part of the meal!  The lamb bacon was incredibly rich – we are both still full 4 hours later – and our house smells marvelous!

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im a bit iffy on lamb fat.

rotuts, lamb fat is not nearly as off-putting as more mature mutton fat, which can make me gag, and it looks like Kim's lamb bacon is very will rendered. I'd certainly try it.

I used to keep goats, and the mature ones stink with some kind of musk or something while alive and it permeates the meat. It's mostly the billies that stink this way. The nannies and kids are fine, but Wowee! The males' meat is terrible to me. Perhaps that would be different if they were castrated, but I don't know.

I have quit buying ground "lamb" because I used to enjoy it but got ahold of some ground mutton one time sold as lamb. I started cooking it and immediately knew I wasn't going to be able to eat it. I never tasted it, and the dogs enjoyed it, but the memory can make me gag to this day, if I let it run. That is one food I really cannot tolerate. I don't have many of them at all, but my house stank for a couple days. I hate mutton the way you hate celery. Nasty, nasty meat! There is supposed to be a mutton barbecue culture in Ohio and Kentucky. They can have it all.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg.13071e4f40b8ce8d128f2cf96448228e.jpeg

Somewhat adapted from a recipe in Duck soup: The Wisdom of Simple Cooking. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Very simple, very good breakfast this morning as I peruse eGullet:

• Homemade yogurt
  • Homemade granola
  • Fresh cherries

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com