• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

image.thumb.jpeg.b8c7e2e46baae16124ec6c1e83110a07.jpeg

I awoke this morning with an unquenchable thirst to make tomato brunoise (no worries. I have an urgent appointment with my therapist).  The country bread was one of the few things I purchased at Whole Foods yesterday. Pricewise it was very competitive being only $2.99 for a loaf.  The asparagus is locally grown.  I seasoned the whole thing with a little piment d'espelette which was a gift. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I usually start the day with some form of fried rice. Most of the time it's nothing special. But...recently, I was given unlimited access to a neighbor's rhubarb patch. So, today we had fried rice with diced rhubarb.

• Like 3

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

image.jpeg.80d72e2e56bd350bf7cfb97a597266d7.jpeg

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I may have found my new favorite local breakfast place. After a doctor's appointment with 4 1/2-year-old grandson, he and I were both hungry, and decided to try a relatively new spot, "Eggsellent" Cafe.

Point the first in favor: They serve breakfast through the lunch hour. I was sold. Grandson had a child's plate with grilled cheese and fries -- I would hate to see an adult sized version of same, because this was a full-sized sandwich and a lot of fries. I got the one-egg special, with hash browns, bacon, and a pancake.

Have mercy! First, the pancake was, in fact, TWO small-dinner-plate sized pancakes; thick, fluffy pancakes. GOOD pancakes. The hash browns were plain old shredded hash browns, no add-ins, which is the way I prefer them, cooked gloriously golden and crispy, and there was a ton of them, too. The over easy egg was cooked just right; it went on top of the hash browns, where the yolk dampened only a small part, unfortunately, of the potatoes.

The bacon was thick-sliced country bacon, And there were four or five big pieces of it, cooked about 1/2 second short of as crispy as I would have liked. It was one of the few times I've ever left bacon on a plate, but it was so...much....food.

Three small quibbles:

1. The coffee wasn't fresh. In all fairness, this was past 1 p.m., and the demand for coffee had probably been declining by that time.

2. They use coffee creamer, not the real deal.

3. They use "whipped spread," rather than butter.

On the plus side, lunch for two, with lots of food left over, was under $15.

It ain't Brennan's, but I ain't in New Orleans, either.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg.58a6470292936038136f42cfd6af2654.jpeg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Friend of ours visiting over night....and dropping off his puppy for a week visit with us.  Sent him off after a breakfast of tea and honey and an egg sandwich with turkey bacon.

uh....and a small piece of egg MIGHT have accidently on purpose dropped on the floor for Angie to find.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

19 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

uh....and a small piece of egg MIGHT have accidently on purpose dropped on the floor for Angie to find.

Isn't it funny how often that can happen!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Scrambled eggs with assorted other stuff:

IMG_5248.thumb.jpg.24e2b9b4064eef0c278c8e1defebaa55.jpg

Leftover pea & basil purée topped with a garlic/basil/tomato olive oil mixture, Roasted Radishes with Kalamata Dressing from Julia Turshen's Small Victories (recipe found online) and bruschetta.  I thought the radishes would come out sort of starchy like potatoes but roasting really concentrates the sweetness and the sherry vinegar and olives add a nice contrast.

• Like 8

image.jpeg.d6a7412380c076e10e3a415715c4db56.jpeg

All too many times I have expressed my prejudice against beans.   This valiant effort has not made me change my mind. The beans, from Trader Joe's, were a gift from someone who hoped they might have the power to drag me over to the dark side.  Even on pan toast and topped by a beautiful egg they remain nasty, starchy things. 

as I have expressed my prejudice against beans.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Our previous poster's prejudice against beans inspired me to include them in my breakfast.  I can be like that sometimes :D.

Merguez with Beans, Eggs & Feta from Diana Henry's Simple. The recipe is available online here.  The recipe title suggests it is baked but it's entirely done on the stovetop.  

IMG_5257.thumb.jpg.bf4357a9aa44daab5ebac39791edb8be.jpg

I used Merguez sausages from my local farmers market and subbed Rancho Gordo Marcella beans for the canned white beans and limas specified in the recipe.  As it cooked, I thought the bean-tomato balance was a bit off so I added a couple Tbsps of sun-dried tomato purée from my freezer stash.  

I liked this a lot.  It would work almost any sausage/bean combo. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Our previous poster's prejudice against beans inspired me to include them in my breakfast.  I can be like that sometimes :D.

:raz:

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

My English muffin (not homemade) with butter and cherry jam that I had for breakfast seems positively boring compared to what everybody else is eating... but I enjoyed it.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

10 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

My English muffin (not homemade) with butter and cherry jam that I had for breakfast seems positively boring compared to what everybody else is eating... but I enjoyed it.

And that is the only thing that really matters.   I am quite fond of cherry jam I just can't do sweet things in the morning.   Take that anyway you want.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd been craving mangoes, so I bought a boxful of them at Sam's the other day. Breakfast was fresh yogurt with a mango cut up in it. Hit the spot.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

@gfweb  

nice .   I can get Habberset's scrapple here but not sausage.

yest.  I had the hankering for some link breakfast sausage so looked in the refrigerated case for some Jones and there was none

to be had.  they had the 1 lb sausage ' tube ' but all the links were turkey or other odd stuff w rice and what not.

there were no brands of any kind :  plain old American Breakfast Sausage  ( pork , please ! )   in links.

The End is clearly Near.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Leftover roasted potatoes dipped in mint salt and eaten standing up in the kitchen.  I have no shame. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Leftover roasted potatoes dipped in mint salt and eaten standing up in the kitchen.  I have no shame. 

I see no reason why you should. Looks like a perfectly shameless activity to me.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Olive oil-fried egg with yogurt + lemon from Julia Turshen's Small Victories for breakfast today.

IMG_5263.thumb.jpg.73cbcfca47b51143917d1d1f78348d42.jpg

The lemony, eggy combination tasted good with the roasted asparagus I served alongside.  I'm not sure I would have liked it as much on its own.

• Like 10

@blue_dolphin 

Big Yum !

I was fortunate to have lived in Spain for two years some time ago.  1960.

Spain was an agrarian country and olive oil was all they used.

a fried egg was fried in olive oil so the   yolk was just as above but the edges were " Frito '  i.e. very crispy  even a bit more so than your example.

best eggs ever that way.  with a still warm local loaf of bread :  somewhere between the French baguette and something from Italy.

thanks for reminding me.

Ill have to take down w small DARTO and make a few from time to time.

• Like 3

image.jpeg.03984c35b8a0f453c6d6fd139e5309fd.jpeg One egg clung tenaciously to the base of the pan!   This was not the Platonic ideal floating around in my head when I went into the kitchen this morning. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog