• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

Today's breakfast was a Campari tomato sandwich with mayo on a very seedy bread.  A brand called Eureka found at the grocery store.  The horror on my wife's face as I slathered on the mayo was priceless

• Like 6

@Kim Shook

Thank you although I think you all need to check in with your optometrists. xD  But no argument from me on the bacon butty.  Exactly as it should be. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Scrambled eggs with salmon. The eggs were done first until very nearly done, then sashimi grade salmon slices added off the heat and served immediately with a sprinkling of Maldon salt.

There was some buttered toast too, but the eggs won the beauty contest.

Apologies for cell phone photo.

20170511_124556.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Scrambled eggs with salmon. The eggs were done first until very nearly done, then sashimi grade salmon slices added off the heat and served immediately with a sprinkling of Maldon salt.

There was some buttered toast too, but the eggs won the beauty contest.

Apologies for cell phone photo.

20170511_124556.jpg

I used to serve much the same dish (no Maldon, salmon visibly cooked) at the farmer's market, on a fresh-baked roll. I mostly did grilled salmon and salmon tacos as a lunch thing, but I hit on the notion of using my trim as breakfast portions. :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I hit on the notion of using my trim as breakfast portions.

I prefer smoked salmon in this, but I never see it here. I like the salmon just off totally raw, but appreciate that it wouldn't appeal to everyone.

image.thumb.jpeg.56a06e57048a775dfd8a3dfb242a052f.jpeg

I made the roasted tomatoes from Diana Henry's Simple   but then went my own way  by topping them with a simple poached egg.  

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I prefer smoked salmon in this, but I never see it here. I like the salmon just off totally raw, but appreciate that it wouldn't appeal to everyone.

That's a combination I'm fond of as well. It works with hot-smoked, but I've also done it with cold-smoked salmon that was in the fridge just long enough that I didn't fully trust it. You lose the cold-smoked texture, but the flavor is still great. 

At my restaurant, when it was open, I did an eggs Benny variation with my house-cured gravlax which was pretty good (he says modestly). 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Anna N – I have to agree with @Shelby – your photographs are getting amazingly good.  Now, I want an Iphone!

Breakfast this morning – we just got our Benton’s bacon delivery, so:

DSCN6951.thumb.JPG.ce1a4dd62024a403889d8848193fc21d.JPG

Nothing better than a bacon butty on white bread.

Two bacon butties?

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

@HungryChris

I am glad to see the universe has settled back into the proper routine. But I'm curious. What is the sauce? in the centre of the plate?  It looks quite intriguing. 

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

@HungryChris

I am glad to see the universe has settled back into the proper routine. But I'm curious. What is the sauce? in the centre of the plate?  It looks quite intriguing. 

@Anna N, it is fresh salsa. I make it every week and like it with nachos, scrapple, eggs and just on its own. I will hunt down the recipe and post it if you are interested.

HC

• Like 3

Gimage.jpeg.b4d5f4ec8bb87d32cfe68111471e8a08.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.52dade3ccd20e68b1c13e2fd441b6631.jpeg

I thought I might make Diana Henry's interpretation but couldn't get my head around trying to scramble eggs into this mixture of peppers, onions and tomatoes. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, lindag said:

I, too, am interested in your salsa recipe.

FRESH   SALSA

This recipe is one I developed over a few years in an effort to duplicate a salsa at a local Mexican restaurant, who's owner took her own recipe to the grave with her.

Deb uses it as graft at work, with great effect.

I used to use jalapeno peppers, but the heat is so inconsistent, that I switched to habaneros.

Place the following in a blender in the order listed.

2 heaping TBS of good ground cumin

2 large cloves of peeled garlic

1 heaping TBS kosher salt

1 small bunch of fresh cilantro (big enough so that the stems, when bunched, would cover a dime)

1 stemmed habanero pepper

1/2 of a medium red onion, quartered

4 medium sized tomatillos, paper skin removed, of course, and  quartered

5 Roma tomatoes, quartered

1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice

Pulse this all up until there is enough room in the blender to add an 8 oz jar of roasted red peppers, drained.

Then pulse until the salsa has a rough chopped consistency.

HC

• Like 3

Thank you. It sounds amazing  and anything that can serve as graft gets my vote.  But I am most amused and gratified by your description of the size of the bunch of cilantro you call for.  Now why can't cook book authors do that?:)

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast this morning:

DSCN6953.JPG.4c32a43db043debf219ba822916e5d4d.JPG

Toast, sausage and soft boiled eggs.  These are done by the Cooks Illustrated method, which works best of anything I've tried before.  You bring 1/2-inch of water to a boil in a saucepan over med-high heat and put the eggs in.  Put the cover on and continue to boil for 6 1/2 - 7 minutes.  

• Like 9

12 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Fried zucchini, welcome back, I missed you!

HC

IMG_2134.thumb.JPG.3a77f7dd4d66cc72f5de71267df45bbe.JPGIMG_2133.thumb.JPG.cd76710d9835cd554074671c46fd75b9.JPG

I love fried zucchini too! I do it middle eastern style with a garlic-yogurt sauce:x

• Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thank you. It sounds amazing  and anything that can serve as graft gets my vote.  But I am most amused and gratified by your description of the size of the bunch of cilantro you call for.  Now why can't cook book authors do that?:)

@Anna N, I worked for many years as a technical writer, writing and revising US nuclear submarine technical manuals and often would be frustrated by having  my words changed by my editor, even though I knew, the sailor at sea, would have benefited more from mine. I find this forum a refreshing reprieve and your kind comments equally refreshing!. Thank you!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HungryChris said:

@Anna N, I worked for many years as a technical writer, writing and revising US nuclear submarine technical manuals and often would be frustrated by having  my words changed by my editor, even though I knew, the sailor at sea, would have benefited more from mine. I find this forum a refreshing reprieve and your kind comments equally refreshing!. Thank you!

HC

From one technical writer to another,  you are welcome! 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.bd726ed51ca30480dbf04c130c0ea975.jpeg

my take on Diana Henry's recipe. I found the watercress cream to be very, very bland. Even with the addition of some lemon zest and salt and pepper it remained rather blah.  I made only half the recipe but I have an enormous amount of leftover rather tasteless watercress cream.

Cress as  I recall from my childhood had a lot more bite to it, I thought, but perhaps that was because I always ate it in mustard and cress sandwiches and the bite came from the mustard rather than the cress. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog