• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

image.jpeg.304c167de35554f0c8c967ed2d649231.jpeg

From Diana Henry's Simple.

Recipe 

No spinach on hand but I did have some pre-blanched rapini so used it instead. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/29/2017 at 8:59 AM, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.d452532aa27890aff4d8c8c8930dba66.jpeg

It's not about the Canadian whiskey-apple bacon although it's better than most supermarket bacon. It is not about the farm fresh eggs although they were delicious.  It's not about the blistered cherry tomatoes although they were sweet and summery.  It's about the fried bread. Bread fried in bacon fat would have to make an appearance in my last meal. 

My Dad used to make us 'fried bread' in bacon fat, of course.  Nothing better on earth.

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.2f28f0755898ce39c2e6b31118e72601.jpeg

Breakfast almost didn't happen! My purchased sourdough bread was growing an abundant forest of mould. But my freezer gave up its last two slices of frozen bread.  This is from Dianne Henry's Simple. Like @blue_dolphin (here )  I opted for sourdough over brioche and avoided the temptation to add anything other than what was in the recipe.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.500559af603be90369038e83a7063172.jpeg

Breakfast of the spectacularly spoiled.  A gift of some Iberico ham yesterday almost kept me awake all night. Could I wait til breakfast? How would I serve it?

Yep.  Spectacular tomatoes would be best but we are a long, long way from tomato season. Campari cocktail tomatoes are the best I can hope for and they are not bad.   So I toasted some sourdough bread, scraped it with garlic, drizzled it with a little olive oil and then thinly anointed it with some grated Campari tomato. And to top it all off some amazing Iberico ham.  Life is good. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

My heart bleeds for your sleepless night. Nothing worse. And such a miserable breakfast to follow. How do you cope?

Some proper banana bread and cheddar is what you need. Not that foreign muck! Send it to me and I'll dispose of it safely with all due regard for environmental issues.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Had none of the great toppings you folks are enjoying, but our friends visiting yesterday brought a loaf of freshly baked lemon loaf. It had a lovely dense texture and fresh lemony taste with a sugar crumb topping. SO good this morning (and last night after they left:$) with my coffee...

• Like 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

47 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

@Anna N

My heart bleeds for your sleepless night. Nothing worse. And such a miserable breakfast to follow. How do you cope?

Some proper banana bread and cheddar is what you need. Not that foreign muck! Send it to me and I'll dispose of it safely with all due regard for environmental issues.

Really, liuzhou, I would be happy to comply but that would interfere with you getting that damned new place of yours in order. :P

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Baked beans (Chinese Heinz clone) on toast (homemade bread), butter (New Zealand), shichimi togarishi (Japan). Black coffee (Indonesia).

Beary?

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Beary?

That did intrigue me first time I saw it. I had vague hopes of misspelled 'beery' beans, but it turned out to be a Cantonese transliteration of the Chinese brand name, 百利 which means next to nothing.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

That did intrigue me first time I saw it. I had vague hopes of misspelled 'beery' beans, but it turned out to be a Cantonese transliteration of the Chinese brand name, 百利 which means next to nothing.

Oh well. Sounded intriguing. Thanks. 

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg.316d94ef6534a295d80850ed151976f6.jpg

Chinese take-out leftovers.  Not at all what I had planned for breakfast. But it only needed reheating and life had got in the way of my other plan. I was able to execute my breakfast plan for lunch! 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.f7c907344717b477a032cc0847457d2f.jpeg

This was an adaptation of a Diana Henry recipe which called for njuda rather than Iberico ham.  I would not have thought of pea purée as something worth eating but I almost licked the bowl (I will leave you to judge the veracity of that statement).

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

lovely looking" breakies" everyone.

This is a weird one but seems to fit in with other weird ones on this thread.

Coleslaw from Moosewood; Hard oiled eggs with a peach chutney on top.  Kinda weird but I didn't waste any food,.

DSC01937.thumb.jpg.310d01ae788f096161341f4fb2d4bb5f.jpg

• Like 4

Date and fig square. Definitely NOT my kind of breakfast  but somebody has to be responsible for quality control.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog