• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

On 4/24/2017 at 8:32 PM, ChocoMom said:

I apologize for conjuring up such awful memories. :(      But, I can assure you that the drink I make is completely delightful when an expeditious, liquid meal is called for---and there is no egg fragrance whatsoever. 

I've been doing this for years, but only recently have fessed up to it publicly. (When my husband and kids found out, they taunted me endlessly- so I kept quiet for a good long while.)   As long as there is fresh, strong, hot coffee around, its good.  And ya know what?  I'm just going to go on and share what exactly the concoction is- so it might give ease to everyone thinking about the SNL bass-o-matic, and bad egg experiences. xD

I crack 1-2 eggs into a large mixing cup, add in 1-2 scoops of coconut oil, a large pinch of pumpkin pie spice (or cocoa powder), xylitol or stevia, and either coconut cream or HWC. Then, fill to near top with fresh hot coffee. Zizzzzz  it with an immersion blender until its nice and foamy. Then enjoy.   Sometimes, if I happen to have some hand- I'll add a scoop of pumpkin puree also. Makes it a bit more filling and satisfying.  

So many things that I don't like, all in one glass.

• Like 2

More broccoli rabe, home fries with fresh from the garden ramps, Tuscan toast, fresh salsa and a new fav, slightly sweetened seltzer with fresh lime. This was an unlikely combination of circumstance, but a remarkable combination. I had to replenish the salsa quite a few times. I will have this again!

HC

IMG_1989.thumb.JPG.3c075d8a59968186f9f56714a67a510f.JPGIMG_1990.thumb.JPG.cc071a0a19f4df9cab3c3c80bdec7374.JPG

• Like 8

Ok. Ok. @HungryChris.  I have just added broccoli rabe to my shopping list. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, ginagreen said:
Your food all looks so delicious, I think this is really a visual feast, I can imagine their taste. Yummy :)

@ginagreen

The compliments are nice but  we would much rather see you share what you cook and eat.:)

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@HungryChris Love the idea of your rapini and potatoes for breakfast.  I wouldn't even need the toast. 

Moe's Breakfast.

59036531de536_Greek_Spatchcock_Chicken_April_28th_2017_1.thumb.jpg.445dc9419857fedabaeaf9d026f0fb4e.jpg

"Spatchcocked" a chicken this morning. Seasoned with garlic, oregano, lemon, salt, pepper and olive oil.

Gave it an hour to marinate and then cooked on the grill.

5903653bc7132_GreekSpatchcockChickenApril28th20172.thumb.jpg.f9f399ba874e92dd92b4daeba572f659.jpg

Served on a grilled flat bread topped with Tzatziki sauce, lettuce, grilled onions, tomatoes and sheeps feta.

To early for me so I'm taking all the ingredients in separate containers to work with me and will make a sandwich for lunch.

• Like 13

I got up from my computer and made the biscuits. They're in the oven now (brunch, for us, though).

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

image.jpeg.d452532aa27890aff4d8c8c8930dba66.jpeg

It's not about the Canadian whiskey-apple bacon although it's better than most supermarket bacon. It is not about the farm fresh eggs although they were delicious.  It's not about the blistered cherry tomatoes although they were sweet and summery.  It's about the fried bread. Bread fried in bacon fat would have to make an appearance in my last meal. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

The only place Ive had fried bread was in GB at various Bed&Breakfasts 

a long time ago.   the bread had ' good crumb ' and was not mush USA supermarket bread and cut thick

there was a Tomato das le plate , I guess heated up some how

two eggs  as above   and English Bacon in most places.   the tastier places gave you the option of Bangers

which were superb.

and yes , fried bread as above is stunning.

if I were Back in the Game    

Id figure out how to do a study on the above fried bread   ( in bacon i.e. pork fat )  

with a moderately healthy diet

with and with out Statins.

I think the FriedBread group that had moderate statins and Bangers would live forever , 

picking the bangers would be key .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

Broccoli rabe, home fries with fresh picked ramp leaves, fresh salsa and zucchini pickles. I took @Ann_T's suggestion and lost the toast, but added a few more home fries so I didn't have to cut back on the salsa. I was happy with this combination.

HC

IMG_2016.thumb.JPG.811d1e40d437c63cff55a1ceedb5c48f.JPGIMG_2017.thumb.JPG.a1dbadda2d5f45fd4902024495078654.JPG

• Like 4

image.thumb.jpeg.f0461d714f2f2a880a33f015cbc0f884.jpeg

Amazing. So simple. So good.   The confit is from Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat.  

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.73d97a61477f0a36467e6478c4376046.jpeg

(with thanks to @HungryChris)

If you think you don't like rapini/broccoli rabe/cime or whatever other name you choose to call it, check this out.  When properly blanched and quickly sautéed in some garlicky oil, you end up with a silky, sweet green vegetable. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

47 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.73d97a61477f0a36467e6478c4376046.jpeg

(with thanks to @HungryChris)

If you think you don't like rapini/broccoli rabe/cime or whatever other name you choose to call it, check this out.  When properly blanched and quickly sautéed in some garlicky oil, you end up with a silky, sweet green vegetable. 

Anna, I saw this picture on the right side of the main page and thought that it must be in a cookbook.  It should be the cover of a cookbook!

• Like 2

Ah, @Shelby.   Perhaps the time has come for you to have a new optometrist.   But thank you. I am trying very hard to make photographs a little better given the limitations of my iPhone 4 and my decidedly challenged vision.   Dark photographs are like candlelight, they can hide a multitude of sins.xD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

It took me several attempts, but I finally learned to not just blanch it, but boil it in salted water until the water is colored, then into garlicky good olive oil in a hot skillet. I finished off a big bunch of it this morning. My first taste of Broccoli rabe was at Tommy Dinic's at the RTM on a pork sandwich and I absolutely loved it. Here it is again with some home fries and ramp leaves this morning. I will be attempting to grow some rapini this fall.

HC

IMG_2021.thumb.JPG.344557d0035246c89e984b2db3beb815.JPGIMG_2023.thumb.JPG.f2624756377b1dc6e92570a777cf4109.JPG

• Like 5

image.jpeg.2c5d4493063092c76c4b908ee00800da.jpeg

Breakfast is easy when your fridge holds pre-prepared ingredients. The rapini had already been blanched and the tomato confit was made a few days ago. Like @HungryChris, I use blanched loosely. In fact the rapini was cooked for four minutes in well-salted boiling water (1 minute for the stems and then 3 more minutes for the rest).   Samin Nosrat in Salt, Acid, Fat, Heat skips the whole "shock in ice water" mantra choosing instead to blanch vegetables for a smidge less time and then she spreads them out to cool. I have been quick to adopt this method. This morning the rapini got a quick sauté in the well-flavoured oil from the cherry tomato confit.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog