• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

6 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I have been very good about not buying cookbooks lately because my long awaited renovation of my cookbook shelving is about to begin, but your series of photos of recipes from this book has had me wavering, and this photo sent me over the edge. Book ordered.   

I hope you will like it and will look forward to your thoughts.  When I first skimmed through, it didn't engage me at all.  Seemed like recipes for a lot of stuff I throw together without using a recipe at all.  What's the point in that? I must have been in some sort of mood.  :$   But as I've been cooking from the book, I've found it quite nice to have recipes that come together very easily and still have interesting flavors.  There are only a couple of things that I really wouldn't make again and even there, they were OK dishes, just not my thing.

My take on Huevos Rotos.  

image.jpeg.951ca57094700af30b2c2af193dd0a59.jpeg

I opted to replace the onion with a large shallot and like @blue_dolphin  chose to treat my egg with a little more respect.

I think this recipe clearly demonstrates the appeal of the Diana Henry book, Simple.  

It is simple, cheap, uses very common ingredients and produces something extremely tasty.  Not likely to show up on the menu at Eleven Madison Park but a welcome addition to the menu at 10 Any Street. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If eggs and toast are classmates, scrapple and hot salsa are serious lovers that turn the hot sauce into mere bystanders.

IMG_1845.thumb.JPG.20755d553f8bee0ed253a9f2069b11a0.JPGIMG_1847.thumb.JPG.7bf3a3c0c2604e9371ac5eb63df5a2e3.JPG

IMG_1849.thumb.JPG.a4658a1d3abb69432e093b4ebf115662.JPG

While I'm on the subject of scrapple, I have taken the liberty of documenting my current approach. In the past, I would buy it frozen and thaw it out and then be forced to consume the lot rapid fire. Now I thaw it, freeze it and repackage it in IQF fashion.

HC

IMG_1718.thumb.JPG.08b3e65fdb67f2b62c12f04bee9e66bb.JPGIMG_1720.thumb.JPG.93492f9459ba77110fd140c18c545aab.JPGIMG_1722.thumb.JPG.ca7913e92095d94a2cca77a14ba39b7a.JPGIMG_1723.thumb.JPG.64264e65eac36d7a0a05fc1d73922743.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

While I'm on the subject of scrapple, I have taken the liberty of documenting my current approach. In the past, I would buy it frozen and thaw it out and then be forced to consume the lot rapid fire. Now I thaw it, freeze it and repackage it in IQF fashion.

I cannot bring myself to hit the like button for a post that contains scrapple but you still have my admiration for how to deal with it since you do insist on eating it.:D:D

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I cannot bring myself to hit the like button for a post that contains scrapple but you still have my admiration for how to deal with it since you do insist on eating it.:D:D

Scrapple, like beef tongue  and head cheese were things I was introduced to at a very early age, before I developed any of the taboos that stalk many of us in life, and I am grateful to this day for that, but I do have a thing about herring that allows me to relate. The first time I tried to cook fresh sardines, I was so overpowered by them in the cleaning process, that they ended up buried in the garden. I was able to pull it off the second time around and now fresh sardines are something I seek out so change is not impossible.

HC

• Like 3

I did way better today for breakfast. No Liquid Chicken! :D

Made an egg-bake "thing" on Sunday, with leftover roasted potatoes, tomatoes, feta, parsley, onion, turkey-ham, eggs and cheddar.  It was a large enough pan that everyone was able to have some, with a few squares leftover for quick breakfasts. And, today was another hard workout...so it was great having that on hand! 

IMG_1524.JPG

• Like 9

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I was curious to try the broccoli with harissa & cilantro gremolata from Diana Henry's Simple and also on a mission to clean out the fridge, leading me to assemble a rather massive breakfast.  I used roasted broccolini and the spears cooked up more quickly than I expected but I liked the crispy bits with this dish.  I thought some eggs would be good, then from the fridge, I reheated leftover potatoes from the huevos rotos (also from Simple) and some leftover black beans.  No need for lunch today! 

IMG_5051.thumb.jpg.19f28df3428e6b2b395da1ffb80ca7ed.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ChocoMom said:

Whew. Well it did nothing for my appetite but it sure improved my vocabulary. I used to say, "Would you rather do XXX or have a root canal?" Now I say,  "Would you rather do xxx or I could fix you a liquid chicken latte? Which will it be?"  :D:D:D

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.a3e0b2df0e6e6ad7cb64e14cb012be8c.jpeg

The hash was a planned-over.   The poached egg was a small twist on the original.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

The phrase "liquid chicken" will forever remind me of a particularly unfortunate incident involving the back corner of my fridge and three weeks away from home. It took a long time to get the smell out. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

The phrase "liquid chicken" will forever remind me of a particularly unfortunate incident involving the back corner of my fridge and three weeks away from home. It took a long time to get the smell out. 

I apologize for conjuring up such awful memories. :(      But, I can assure you that the drink I make is completely delightful when an expeditious, liquid meal is called for---and there is no egg fragrance whatsoever. 

I've been doing this for years, but only recently have fessed up to it publicly. (When my husband and kids found out, they taunted me endlessly- so I kept quiet for a good long while.)   As long as there is fresh, strong, hot coffee around, its good.  And ya know what?  I'm just going to go on and share what exactly the concoction is- so it might give ease to everyone thinking about the SNL bass-o-matic, and bad egg experiences. xD

I crack 1-2 eggs into a large mixing cup, add in 1-2 scoops of coconut oil, a large pinch of pumpkin pie spice (or cocoa powder), xylitol or stevia, and either coconut cream or HWC. Then, fill to near top with fresh hot coffee. Zizzzzz  it with an immersion blender until its nice and foamy. Then enjoy.   Sometimes, if I happen to have some hand- I'll add a scoop of pumpkin puree also. Makes it a bit more filling and satisfying.  

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I've done my own breakfast smoothie time and I doubt my concoctions would sound remotely appealing to anyone else! 

17 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

I'm just going to go on and share what exactly the concoction is- so it might give ease to everyone thinking about the SNL bass-o-matic, and bad egg experiences. xD

I'm very relieved that there are no post-hatch chicken parts involved in the chicken latte :D

I applaud you for finding a quick and nutritious breakfast that you enjoy but there is nothing in the remainder of the description that appeals to me.  

Aside from the fresh hot coffee, which I will take on the side.  Black, please.

• Like 3

Sooo... basically a coffee eggnog. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Sometimes,  comfort comes in a bowl...of oatmeal topped with forest berry preserves  and toasted almonds.  

Nourishing,  soothing, might-be-healthy breakfast on this Tuesday morning in April.

20170425_075007.jpg

• Like 8

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

A HOT coffee eggnog......it's the hot temperature of the coffee and visions of scrambling that I'm not loving.

Yup. I think @ChocoMom  should give up before she digs herself in so deep there can be no recovery.  Once a vision of a liquid chicken latte has planted itself into our minds…… .    xDxD   Just sayin...The eggs go on the plate.  The coffee goes in the mug.  And so it was and ever shall be, world without end.  (For @ChocoMom  :x )

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Paté on toast.  Who knew it could be this complicated?

A gift of paté seemed to require somewhat more respect than one might give to something grabbed on a quick trip through supermarket.  And therein lies the danger of taking something quite simple and complicating it.  

The first challenge was finding an appropriate "lipped" plate among my assortment of dinnerware. While the one illustrated in the Guardian article struck me as inadequate  in size for the ingredients crowded upon it, the one in my cupboard seemed like overkill.  Then there was the challenge of hushing my inner germophobe in order to let the paté lose its icy chill. 

Seeing as I was the only one at the table eating paté I did not concern myself with the whole horror of scraping it directly from its container and reducing it to "reversed-over roadkill".  You will have to take my word that I managed this part of the operation with finesse.

And so to breakfast in defiance of the Guardian's warning that paté is inappropriate for the first meal of the day. 

image.jpeg.85c3cd8cb6e058a1a7be3d0ba50ecb3a.jpeg

I must add that if every meal becomes this complicated then I may have found the perfect route to weight loss.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.3aa2a6852841a5071c385bea18a4501d.jpeg

I shall be looking over my shoulder all day wondering if the paté police  will catch up with me.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog