• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

Im not not a big fan of Ham & Eggs.

however , as its Easter , hams have been on sale.

I pick up a Carando boneless spiral sliced ham   as it was attractively priced at $ 1.99./lbs   usually $ 3.99 /lbs

I was surprised at its quality :

Ham.thumb.jpg.92c4077f248e43c11b8ba4433ea537ec.jpg

and it was flat cut , not spiral.  no matter.

i soak the slices I use in ice water for a bit to remove some of the salt.  this ham was not massively salty.  none the less  ....

I use ice water rather than warm to keep the fat in the ham.  don't really know if this matters.

HamNEggs.jpg.91bfd343699e0bfce8d21d9690eb80d1.jpg

H&Eggs     it was good

but this ham makes a much better   Ham & ( melted ) Swiss sandwich.   I freeze what I don't use right away.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

@rotuts

I rarely think of putting ham on my  shopping list unless occasionally it is black forest cooked ham for sandwiches. I am not a huge fan of ham  but I agree that once in a while it can be good.

image.jpeg.68e44a9ab4eade773773d8f4d57c3698.jpeg

These tiny (and expensive) tomatoes don't pack much of a punch in a salad but briefly blistered in a hot pan they burst with sweetness and flavour.  Those are farm-fresh eggs and are one of the best (frequent) gifts I get. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.0eaadf62d99f5ab7831eddb75b55b926.jpeg

Instant Pot eggs--perfect. 3 mins, steam, high, quick release, ice bath. Peeled so easily. 

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Huevos rotos from Diana Henry's Simple

IMG_4918.thumb.jpg.a5facf54629882e16ea0b7b3d04fa1bf.jpg

Sliced potatoes and onions are cooked with garlic, smoked paprika and crushed red pepper before the egg is dropped on top.  

Beyond the occasional potato salad in the summer, I am not much of a potato eater so I had to buy some especially for this.  It's not bad but toast is still my preferred device for wrangling a runny yolk xD!

Edited by blue_dolphin
potato starts with a P (log)
  • Like 12

Breakfast this morning, still in a kick: flapjacks, griddle cakes, pancakes...what do you call them? I love these tender, airy & fluffy puffy puffs...and soooo easy to make from scratch, with maple syrup and butter...because buttah makes everything bettah!

18009453_1462461060470727_1492830429_n.jpg

Edited by spaghetttti (log)
  • Like 12

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sliced potatoes and onions are cooked with garlic, smoked paprika and crushed red pepper before the egg is dropped on top.  

Damn!   If there were a potato in the house I would be having this for breakfast today.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

23 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Beyond the occasional potato salad in the summer, I am not much of a potato eater so I had to buy some especially for this.  It's not bad but toast is still my preferred device for wrangling a runny yolk xD!

Damn, that looks good.  Never met a potato I didn't like.

• Like 3

image.jpeg.bb6fd48ff2226a128038ccb648db2048.jpeg

Inspired by a few of @liuzhou's breakfasts but  I can picture him rolling his eyes at the mention of "English"xD muffins.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

23 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

That recipe caught my eye as I was breezing through the book. Did you drop it, as suggested, from a couple of feet above the pan?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 minutes ago, kayb said:

That recipe caught my eye as I was breezing through the book. Did you drop it, as suggested, from a couple of feet above the pan?

No, not several feet - probably barely 12 inches xD!  I wanted to make sure the yolk stayed intact while the white firmed up a bit so I could have a runny yolk in the end. 

I had a multitude of ideas for breakfast this morning but the tomatoes on my breakfast bar going slowly south rebuked me every time I got anywhere near them. So I toasted a couple of slices of sourdough bread, brushed them with olive oil and scraped a garlic clove over them.  I heated some olive oil on the stove top and tossed in the halved tomatoes, cut side down. I turned my back on them so I would not be tempted to poke and prod them. When my nose told me they had developed a bit of caramelization,  I piled them onto the garlic toast and then added a fried egg to one slice.  A little salt and pepper seasoned them up and they were ready for the table.  

image.jpeg.cf43e132511df3df48267f31313385e7.jpeg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Some curious-looking breakfast toasties assembled from leftovers.  I sliced a leftover spicy sausage and layered it onto grainy mustard smeared toast, roughly chopped the apples, onions and raisins that had been roasted with the sausage, then added the small bit of hard cider rarebit sauce leftover from last night and under the broiler for a bit.

IMG_4950.thumb.jpg.82a7b38ab2bb0d31a36af0dd892f2d77.jpg

• Like 10

Dang! I should have perused through here before fixing breakfast today.   I was void of patience, though.  I had a good hard workout at the gym this morning with my girlfriends. Came home ready to die from hunger. I was just craving protein.  So, rather than thinking it through and planning things out....I whipped up my Liquid Chicken Latte and guzzled it down.  It did the job, but not incredibly satisfying, like when you sit down to actually EAT. 

Thank you all for posting such lovely pics and ideas for breakfasts.  With all of these fabulous ideas,  I really should be able to come up with something better and more satisfying. 

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

OK, @blue_dolphin,  I am becoming seriously disturbed!   This is very similar to something I thought I pulled out of my own head but it lacked the watercress sauce.  Now I am considering a repeat  but since watercress is about as likely to show up on my doorstep as hen's teeth i'm thinking of making a basil cream sauce.  I suspect it would work with the tomatoes and eggs.   It just looks so good and with sincere apologies to @ChocoMom almost, ALMOST, chased away my vision of a liquid chicken latte. :P

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Now I am considering a repeat  but since watercress is about as likely to show up on my doorstep as hen's teeth i'm thinking of making a basil cream sauce.

I rarely have watercress and purchased it specifically for a few recipes in this book.  I think this one would be very good substituting parsley, cilantro (are you a hater?), arugula or a mix of other herbs, like parsley and basil, cilantro and chive....

I thought the roasted tomatoes in the book (with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of sugar) were almost too intense with the more delicate flavors of the watercress and eggs. It's a great way to punch up the flavor of out of season tomatoes but if I have really good ripe specimens, I will skip the vinegar and sugar.

I agree with you on @ChocoMom's chicken latte.  It was giving me flashbacks to the SNL bass-o-matic skit :o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Warm eggs, roast tomatoes & watercress cream from Diana Henry's Simple.

IMG_4983.thumb.jpg.e592d1c01c82a00310572d6e68200517.jpg

Eggs were 6.5 minutes instead of 7 because....runny yolks :x

I have been very good about not buying cookbooks lately because my long awaited renovation of my cookbook shelving is about to begin, but your series of photos of recipes from this book has had me wavering, and this photo sent me over the edge. Book ordered.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I rarely have watercress and purchased it specifically for a few recipes in this book.  I think this one would be very good substituting parsley, cilantro (are you a hater?), arugula or a mix of other herbs, like parsley and basil, cilantro and chive....

I thought the roasted tomatoes in the book (with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of sugar) were almost too intense with the more delicate flavors of the watercress and eggs. It's a great way to punch up the flavor of out of season tomatoes but if I have really good ripe specimens, I will skip the vinegar and sugar.

I agree with you on @ChocoMom's chicken latte.  It was giving me flashbacks to the SNL bass-o-matic skit :o

I am trying my best to get over my dislike of cilantro but not sure that I could tolerate a cilantro sauce!   I do however remember my first taste of a basil cream sauce I made for some cold chicken and that brings a smile to my face.   The tomatoes I currently have are nothing special but once blistered in a hot sauté pan come to life like no others.   They probably won't need vinegar or sugar since they are incredibly sweet once heated. Thanks. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog