• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

22 hours ago, lindag said:

It's too early here for rhubarb and I really wanted to make a rhubarb dessert.  So, instead I went to the best in-store bakery in town and purchased a strawberry rhubarb pie. 

Now I almost never have dessert at home because I don't usually want something else after I've had my dinner.  So what I'm going to do is have the pie for breakfast!  Hey, it's got fruit in it!

(Fruit) pie for breakfast is an honoured and long-standing tradition in my house. I reckoned it was a healthier option that most of the neighbours' kids were getting. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

yest.  I baked some Idaho spears :  1/2 a large Idaho lengthwise  then lengthwise again in 1/3'd

season ( Penzey's sandwich sprinkle + olive oil ) and bake     I rethermed a stuffed CkBr  ( swiss , genova salami, mortadella )

saute'd  some of the leftovers and added two eggs :

PotatoScramnle.thumb.jpg.587c0c3fe2d7443ae7bec1dc983b4721.jpg

very tasty.  mortadella makes anything tasty.

• Like 9

I'm calling this breakfast "An Act of Love".

Fresh local Dungeness Crab out of the water last night. 

Two are destined for dinner. The third Moe suggested maybe Eggs Benedict? SO............

58ef95f04ee11_EggsFlorentinewithDungenessCrabApril13th2017.thumb.jpg.ea0e1cdaa8753fa8d690839d5190c841.jpg

I steamed one, picked out the meat and made Eggs Benedict "Florentine" with crab.  

One  whole crab worth of meat on this plate. 

58ef95e5d26e5_EggsFlorentinewithDungenessCrabApril13th20172.thumb.jpg.ee2ec57205cc7da0d7033b4f406e64dc.jpg

Topped with a homemade Hollandaise.

• Like 13

image.jpeg.3bbc876a4b73593eb0cb7d8846df5356.jpeg

Breakfast from a day or so ago. This was very good and kept me satisfied well past lunchtime. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.d91cc3f48c8c2553a9540b817808303a.jpeg

image.jpeg.18c1a84de8271fc6df6475923f38e0e4.jpeg

Anytime I can avoid the need to wash more than one pan at breakfast time is a winner!  

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin -- you are costing me money. I ordered Simple last night. If I like it as well as I do Deep Run Roots, I will likely take to ordering all the cookbooks into which you delve.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@blue_dolphin

how did you cook those SP spears.   i been meaning to try SPS's for some time.

did you peel them ?  was there any Crunch given the sugar content ?

id love to learn to make SPS's w the skin on that and some crutch to them.  

either CSB(O) or BVXL

Im just lazy it seems

52 minutes ago, kayb said:

@blue_dolphin -- you are costing me money. I ordered Simple last night. If I like it as well as I do Deep Run Roots, I will likely take to ordering all the cookbooks into which you delve.

xDxDxD

38 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin

how did you cook those SP spears.   i been meaning to try SPS's for some time.

did you peel them ?  was there any Crunch given the sugar content ?

Bottom line - not a lot of crunch factor

These are the purple-skin/white flesh Murasaki sweet potatoes. The recipe didn't call for it but I peeled them because a few of them had some dodgy spots and it was easier to cut them out that way.  For cooking, I followed the recipe which tossed them with a little olive oil, honey, lime juice, S&P.  I cooked them in the CSO @ 350 °F and used steam-bake for the first 20 min and switched to convect-bake for another 20.  The brown edges had some nice crunch when I took them out of the oven, but they softened up before I finished the plate.  The dish was still enjoyable to eat with the warm potatoes, spicy sauce and cool, creamy yogurt but it's not a route to the perfect crispy sweet potato.

Went to the farmers' market this morning and bought lots of my favourite autumny things, so was pretty happy with my breakfast; padron peppers, sizzled in olive oil and sprinkled with flaky salt; an aged saucisson sec, heavy on the pork fat and black pepper; and these beautiful pine mushrooms, which I sautéed with garlic, Marsala, thyme and a lick of cream and ate on toast (or slightly denatured bread, my toast preference) with rosemary flowers and white pepper.

And a glass of very cold oloroso sherry, because I can.

IMG_4601.thumb.JPG.03e2e410c2e15e552aa033fb3bc35bd4.JPG

IMG_4602.thumb.JPG.d7d2128199050359d173fa18f9afc3ab.JPG

• Like 8

image.jpeg.fc0b1157469796e1422c689e224430bc.jpeg

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Brunch, I guess, as it is now noon and I'm still stuffed, was a grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough, with bacon and avocado, from the food truck at the farmers' market. These people know how to do grilled cheese; they use a combo of a good cheddar and fontina, and good sourdough, and I'm not certain how, but the bread comes out a beautifully golden crunchy-crispy. 

For eight bucks with the add-ins (an egg would've cost me another buck, but I declined), it's a fine brunch. And I'm still stuffed. Had a bottled mango juice with it.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Home alone breakfast indulgence ~ cinnamon pancakes.  I just made these and they are delicious, light and fluffy,  not too cinnamon-y.  Next time I might top them with fruit: bananas or apples...tasty, no?  

Here's the link for the recipe: http://www.thechunkychef.com/vanilla-cinnamon-buttermilk-pancakes/

20170416_100143.jpg

• Like 6

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Brunch (I will probably never be able to wake up early enough to cook a real breakfast -_- ):

Green "shakshuka" (it can't be a shakshuka if the sauce is not tomato based). 

Onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, pureed spinach, a little cream, roasted sweet potatoes, nutmeg, soft eggs, sumac, cumin and a touch of zaatar.

20170412_143432.thumb.jpg.bf50202c12323e43a3c371a9b2aff462.jpg20170412_143637.thumb.jpg.6eddbaa033b927fd9c7fb56eeff94903.jpg

• Like 7

~ Shai N.