• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2017 (Part 2)

kayb

image.jpeg.ee950e92e6b36f476d42c41d548f9d0a.jpeg

Georgian food.  Check The Ladies Who Lunch topic. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.14cd42d678dde182c42415ece9c008db.jpeg

Recently I came into the possession of two books devoted to eggs.  They fell into my virtual basket from Amazon. But my interest in egg preparations around the world pre-dates the spending spree.

This egg preparation is said to originate with the British Raj in Mumbai.  There seem to be many, many iterations. 

In this version a slice of bread is buttered on both sides then pan toasted.  Mustard is then an applied to one side and a mixture of cheese, minced fresh chili, minced red onion and cilantro piled on top of the mustard and broiled.  While that is happening one fries an egg to top it off. 

The recommended optional accompaniment is ketchup but I was given a bottle of chipotle sauce which I find much more interesting than ketchup. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Wanted to use up some sliced roasted potatoes.  One thing lead to another 

And another!  I have one whole cooked potato in the refrigerator.  Wasn't sure what I might do with it.  Now I know. It will lead to a meal and another entry in the Loving Your Leftover series. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

The local market has a dosa stall ! This was breakfast, masala dosa (stuffed with potatoes) sambar and coconut chutney. 

All very delicious, and I got to grill the owner on her coconut chutney recipe....IMG_3934.thumb.JPG.25c0184b576dbedd2fbf3f7877220be0.JPGIMG_3930.thumb.JPG.c6cf153b43bcaffe68272cb3996eeb8d.JPG

• Like 7

image.jpeg.28619308f4cfb8ebc415d6e85531baa9.jpeg

Breakfast?  Lunch? Brunch?   Whatever.   I crumbled some goat cheese over the top just before I ate it.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.4ac4adde7dcf87f08c7ac18deece6583.jpeg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.a6219649e4e27b93c3f6a38c5ead52c0.jpeg

I have an appointment this morning so I needed something fast but the sauce with all that garlic was probably not the brightest idea I've ever had. :laugh:

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

It's too early here for rhubarb and I really wanted to make a rhubarb dessert.  So, instead I went to the best in-store bakery in town and purchased a strawberry rhubarb pie. 

Now I almost never have dessert at home because I don't usually want something else after I've had my dinner.  So what I'm going to do is have the pie for breakfast!  Hey, it's got fruit in it!

• Like 5

@blue_dolphin

You are just making me feel so guilty.  I have the book and have highly recommend it to others but I am the most easily distracted person in the world as far as cookbooks are concerned.   I read one, swear I will cook from it, and the next thing you know I've moved on.  The meals you have cooked from this book are truly outstanding. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

You are just making me feel so guilty.  I have the book and have highly recommend it to others but I am the most easily distracted person in the world as far as cookbooks are concerned.   I read one, swear I will cook from it, and the next thing you know I've moved on.  The meals you have cooked from this book are truly outstanding. 

@Anna N, it was largely your positive comments about Diana Henry's books that convinced me to get Simple when the Food52 cookbook club picked it for this month's book and I haven't been disappointed.  I haven't done this before but I rather like having a book to focus on for a few weeks.  At the end of the month or whenever I get tired of this one, I'm hoping to devote that sort of quality time to a few other neglected cookbooks from my collection.

• Like 1