• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

Got up early this morning and went to Memphis to the farmers market, because I wanted fresh, local asparagus. A two-hour round trip is not unreasonable for local asparagus, right? I didn't think so. Came home with three bundles of asparagus, which should make Sunday dinner as well as some to pickle, a bonus of a quart of local strawberries, and had breakfast -- a "gourmet" grilled cheese, gruyere, cheddar and fontina on sourdough, with bits of Benton's bacon.

It was marvelous. Perfect crunchy, golden finish on the bread. Bacon. Cheese. What's not to love?

ETA: The grilled cheese came from a food truck at the market. I make a good grilled cheese. This one was better.

kayb

kayb

Got up early this morning and went to Memphis to the farmers market, because I wanted fresh, local asparagus. A two-hour round trip is not unreasonable for local asparagus, right? I didn't think so. Came home with three bundles of asparagus, which should make Sunday dinner as well as some to pickle, a bonus of a quart of local strawberries, and had breakfast -- a "gourmet" grilled cheese, gruyere, cheddar and fontina on sourdough, with bits of Benton's bacon.

It was marvelous. Perfect crunchy, golden finish on the bread. Bacon. Cheese. What's not to love?