• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kriz6912

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

21 minutes ago, patris said:

Dried black cherries? Black currants? Blackberries?

21 minutes ago, Chocolot said:

Blackberries, blueberries,

Nope - but black is a good start.

• Like 1

Black licorice.

?

Edited by patris (log)

Patty

32 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Getting warmer!

Yup!

The caramel is fabulous - umami and sweet.

Should have gone there first - you are the exception to the "when you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras" rule!

• Like 5

Patty

6 minutes ago, patris said:

Should have gone there first - you are the exception to the "when you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras" rule!

Yeah, I'm kinda ashamed that it never crossed my mind.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Here are my Raspberry Lemonade for Vegas. They are actually yellow, not green:)

IMG_6013.thumb.JPG.073d391bdbf940ae0603797453d04f9e.JPG

• Like 12

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Chocolate box:

Dark chocolate with cocoa nibs

Coconut

Orange

Coffee

Cinnamon

Raspberry

Bonbonier_01.JPG.2c81de04667672aa4f161cff55bcf213.JPG

Birthday chocolate hearts

Milk chocolate hearts with lyophilized fruits

Inside: 

Orange

Coconut

Milk/dark gianduja

Raspberry

Vanilla

Baileys

Hearts_01.thumb.jpg.0e8346aeec9a8619c246c6ac6a7d4597.jpg

Hearts_02.jpg.da4291577a04633d49116aa8c4a5a343.jpg

Hearts_Inside_01.thumb.jpg.311787d3dc8e514eb32b3b980af2d9f1.jpg

Bonbonier_01.JPG

Edited by RM Chocolat Picture added twice (log)
  • Like 14

I call this one the PCP for Peanut, Caramel, Pretzel.  It has a pretzel biscuit topped with a milk chocolate peanut butter ganache and salted caramel.  It represents a couple different experiments.  First, I wanted to try a crispy layer.  The pretzel biscuit is coated in cocoa butter...three days later, it's still crispy.  We'll see how long that lasts.  The other experiment was the colored cocoa butter technique.  It's the dremel technique shown by Chef Salvatore Martone on his Instagram feed (https://www.instagram.com/p/BMcaOibDWt9/?taken-by=chefsmartone).  I would not call it a success.  I think I may have had too much light blue CCB in the mold.  I think it may also be necessary to let the CCB set slightly before using the brush.  I'll keep trying.  In any case, they still taste just as good!

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 7.51.14 PM.png

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Bentley said:

I call this one the PCP for Peanut, Caramel, Pretzel.  It has a pretzel biscuit topped with a milk chocolate peanut butter ganache and salted caramel.  It represents a couple different experiments.  First, I wanted to try a crispy layer.  The pretzel biscuit is coated in cocoa butter...three days later, it's still crispy.  We'll see how long that lasts.  The other experiment was the colored cocoa butter technique.  It's the dremel technique shown by Chef Salvatore Martone on his Instagram feed (https://www.instagram.com/p/BMcaOibDWt9/?taken-by=chefsmartone).  I would not call it a success.  I think I may have had too much light blue CCB in the mold.  I think it may also be necessary to let the CCB set slightly before using the brush.  I'll keep trying.  In any case, they still taste just as good!

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 7.51.14 PM.png

Saw those - my first thought was - he must have used that dremel technique! Looking good.

On 5/15/2017 at 7:25 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Bernie ( @christysconfections) was over this am - he enjoyed the excessive rum but was unable to identify the rum soaked 'blaisins'. Hint - 'bl' 1st 2 letters.

blueberry?

edited: oh just kept reading and saw it was black garlic - awesome. I am experimenting with black garlic ganache at the moment and next will be doing a black garlic caramel. Hadn't thought of adding rum. 

Edited by a_pinch_of (log)

2 minutes ago, a_pinch_of said:

blueberry?

Logical guess but you may want to read through the other replies. The mystery was solved and... it definitely wasn't blueberries. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Logical guess but you may want to read through the other replies. The mystery was solved and... it definitely wasn't blueberries. :D

Yep, just edited my comment as I saw it was black garlic - should have guessed as it's what I'm working with at the moment :D

Nothing nearly as fun as @kriz6912.... but an interesting change from sea salt caramels this week...

These are Greweling's Thai Sticks.   I followed the directions to the letter, with the exception of infusing the chili a bit longer. There was no noticeable heat after 5 min, so I had to do it longer.

IMG_1606.JPG

Edited by ChocoMom spelling (log)
  • Like 7

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

34 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

All prepared for my nephew's wedding in a couple of weeks.

Just gorgeous. Love those bride & groom oreos!  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Just gorgeous. Love those bride & groom oreos!  

My second batch - most of the Oreo Thins delaminated and had to be fed to anyone who would eat them!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

My second batch - most of the Oreo Thins delaminated and had to be fed to anyone who would eat them!

Would that I had been part of that tragedy.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

Would that I had been part of that tragedy.

Sadly, I was forced to take one (a couple, actually) for the team. It was hard, but I managed.

• Like 7

Patty

• Similar Content

• By onemorebitedelara.com
      Has anyone used Valrhona Absolut Crystal neutral glaze particularly to thicken a coulis or to glaze a tart?  If so, how did you like it and is there another glaze you think worked as well but is less expensive or can be purchased in smaller quantities?  
    • By Galchic
      Hello, folks, thanks for reading.

My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys?

Our story: 
      We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning...  we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments…

When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that:
      Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt  , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning.  
      Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself  - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat.  
      The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after.

So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort?

As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... 

Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.

• By pastrygirl
      My supplier decided that cocoa butter is now special order so I had to buy a case. And now I have an excessive amount of cocoa butter, anyone need any?  

Cacao Barry cocoa butter pistoles with a best by date of April 2021   $66 for the 3 kg tub or $22 per kg plus shipping. 

• By pastrygirl
      This looks interesting - I know some of us have lamented the lack of flavor or off flavors of additives to colored cocoa butter - anyone seen or tried these?  Looks like they can be used either to mix into chocolate as a fat-based flavor or to decorate molds as usual with colored CB ...  More expensive than Valrhona Inspiration or regular colored CB, I wonder how they compare in flavor intensity, the Valrhonas I've tried were fairly intense.  I also wonder what flavors brown, black, and amber are ... https://www.pcb-creation.com/pure-emotion-colour-by-pcb-creation/?lang=en

Edited to add: the black/ brown flavors are chocolate, of course! 🙃

• By curls
      So, what is everyone doing for the pastry & baking side of Easter?

I'm working on the following chocolates: fruit & nut eggs, hollow bunnies, Jelly Belly filled bunnies, coconut bunnies, dragons (filled with rice krispies & chocolate), peanut butter hedgehogs, and malted milk hens. Hoping to finish my dark chocolate production today and get started on all my milk chocolate items.

My father-in-law will be baking the traditional family Easter bread a day or two before Easter. Its an enriched bread and he makes two versions -- one with raisins and one without (I prefer the one with raisins).

And I was lucky enough to spot this couple in the sale moulds stock at last year's eGullet chocolate & confections workshop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. These love bunnies help so very much with Easter chocolate production!  ;-)