Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kriz6912

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

Recommended Posts

The PB Fluff is tempered milk chocolate, JIF creamy PB,  unsalted butter, marshmallow fluff, vanilla bean paste and salt.  If the butter is at room temp., it whips perfectly well with a spoon, the marshmallow fluff stays fluffy, and it pipes beautifully into the eggs,... or into one's mouth. xD   

I got to thinking later, it would make a marvelous filling for macaroons.   I can take a pic of it if anyone would like that, so you can see how fluffy it is. I just adore the light texture and taste. 

 

I handed out samples today to various folks, and got a unanimous thumbs up. 


Edited by ChocoMom I forgot an ingredient!!!! (log)
  • Like 6

-Andrea

 

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

The PB Fluff is tempered milk chocolate, JIF creamy PB,  unsalted butter, marshmallow fluff, vanilla bean paste and salt.  If the butter is at room temp., it whips perfectly well with a spoon, the marshmallow fluff stays fluffy, and it pipes beautifully into the eggs,... or into one's mouth. xD   

I got to thinking later, it would make a marvelous filling for macaroons.   I can take a pic of it if anyone would like that, so you can see how fluffy it is. I just adore the light texture and taste. 

 

I handed out samples today to various folks, and got a unanimous thumbs up. 

 


Lucky various folks! That sounds amazing. Anything peanut butter gets my attention and then you went and made it fluffy! I'd love to see a picture... and my next store trip will include buying marshmallow fluff so I can start attempting to mimic it. :D

  • Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_2401.JPG.d848cb88182fd034fc1fcba1e34b4ced.JPGIt still has its little air bubbles even though I just squeezed it through the piping bag....

 

  • Like 4

-Andrea

 

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Easter chocolates for 2018. First, the eggs:

 

dutton1.jpg.fffb2064e2285a6cfd416cd0dc788af7.jpg

 

Clockwise, beginning with the red egg at top: strawberry pâte de fruit & strawberry buttercream, coffee ganache and rum buttercream, crispy hazelnut gianduja, dark caramel with Maldon sea salt.

 

Then the boxed selection:

 

dutton2.jpg.ff67a55a5484a6bb0f8c4516f1a32a94.jpg

 

Top row: (1) dark caramel with Maldon sea salt in dark chocolate, (2) coconut ganache & lime cream in white chocolate, (3) orange caramel with balsamic vinegar in dark chocolate. Middle row: (1) dark chocolate ganache with raspberry purée & rosewater in milk chocolate, (2) ganache flavored with Earl Grey tea in milk chocolate, (3) black currant ganache & crispy hazelnut gianduja dipped in milk chocolate and topped with a toasted hazelnut. Bottom row: (1) Morello cherry pâte de fruit & pistachio gianduja in dark chocolate, (2) chocolate chip cookie truffle dipped in dark chocolate, (3) mango pâte de fruit & mango ganache in dark chocolate.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

IMG_2401.JPG.d848cb88182fd034fc1fcba1e34b4ced.JPGIt still has its little air bubbles even though I just squeezed it through the piping bag....

 


Well, that did it. Nothing I eat today is going to taste good because it won't be fluffy peanut butter. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery - this morning I made a batch of ChocoMom's Fluffernutter filling and filled about half a dozen big eggs with it. Very happy with the result! I used salted butter and a bit of molasses instead of the vanilla. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery - this morning I made a batch of ChocoMom's Fluffernutter filling and filled about half a dozen big eggs with it. Very happy with the result! I used salted butter and a bit of molasses instead of the vanilla. 

 

You (and @Tri2Cook and @ChocoMom) are very, very bad influences. Now I am obsessed with the idea! This weekend I shall give it a shot.

 

  • Like 2

Patty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we have an actual recipe with amounts or ratios (for pb fluff)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tikidoc   Here it is, as best I can remember. 

 

12-14 oz tempered 38% milk chocolate

4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp. - very soft.

4 oz -6 oz marshmallow fluff

6 oz Creamy Jif

1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste

Salt to taste. 

 

There's a little variation in the amounts of certain items because I was tweaking it as I went along, which is just how I do things ordinarily. I added in a little more chocolate at one point to melt the PB more. And then I added in a couple more oz of fluff to compensate for the weight of the chocolate I had just added before that. I beat the chocolate and butter with a spoon, added the PB so everything was smooth and sort of melty, then added the fluff, a little more chocolate, and a little more fluff. then the VB paste and salt. 

 

Pretzel rods, Vanilla wafers, and Oreos are great tools to use if consuming outside of chocolates.

  • Like 3

-Andrea

 

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

@tikidoc   Here it is, as best I can remember. 

 

12-14 oz tempered 38% milk chocolate

4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp. - very soft.

4 oz -6 oz marshmallow fluff

6 oz Creamy Jif

1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste

Salt to taste. 

 

There's a little variation in the amounts of certain items because I was tweaking it as I went along, which is just how I do things ordinarily. I added in a little more chocolate at one point to melt the PB more. And then I added in a couple more oz of fluff to compensate for the weight of the chocolate I had just added before that. I beat the chocolate and butter with a spoon, added the PB so everything was smooth and sort of melty, then added the fluff, a little more chocolate, and a little more fluff. then the VB paste and salt. 

 

Pretzel rods, Vanilla wafers, and Oreos are great tools to use if consuming outside of chocolates.

 

Ooooh this is very generous of you. I was just going to wing it - thank you!


Patty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

@tikidoc   Here it is, as best I can remember. 

 

12-14 oz tempered 38% milk chocolate

4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp. - very soft.

4 oz -6 oz marshmallow fluff

6 oz Creamy Jif

1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste

Salt to taste. 

 

There's a little variation in the amounts of certain items because I was tweaking it as I went along, which is just how I do things ordinarily. I added in a little more chocolate at one point to melt the PB more. And then I added in a couple more oz of fluff to compensate for the weight of the chocolate I had just added before that. I beat the chocolate and butter with a spoon, added the PB so everything was smooth and sort of melty, then added the fluff, a little more chocolate, and a little more fluff. then the VB paste and salt. 

 

Pretzel rods, Vanilla wafers, and Oreos are great tools to use if consuming outside of chocolates.

I think this would make a marvelous Twinkie filling.

  • Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Mexican oven and I getting jiggy with each other.  I gambled on madeleines and they came out perfectly.  Will share the batch with my gardener and his family.  I'm not sure they really like the anglo bakes that I give them, but they are appreciative that we think of them at the holidays.  

 

While I'm not religious in the least, our village puts on a live Passion Play that is quite the production.  Buses pour in from Mexico City and beyond.  

 

For the devout, Good Friday's 4+ hour long Play which ends with a steep climb to "Calvary Hill" is the high point.  For us, it's Saturday night when locally made life-size paper mache' effigies of Judas, covered with large firecrackers are hung in the trees in our Plaza and then ignited at 11PM.  At midnight all the church bells toll for a solid 30 minutes. 

judas2.jpg

judas3.jpg


Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2018 at 9:17 AM, patris said:

 

In flagrante delicious!

 

 

I have to ask...If you leave the bunnies alone a couple of days, do you come back to find little bunnies?

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kayb said:

 

I have to ask...If you leave the bunnies alone a couple of days, do you come back to find little bunnies?

 


Wouldn't that be nice? Make a couple at the beginning of March, tuck them away somewhere quiet and have all your production done when you take them back out at Easter. :D None of the bunnies I've made with that mold have been kind enough to do that for me though. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, kayb said:

 

I have to ask...If you leave the bunnies alone a couple of days, do you come back to find little bunnies?

 

They seem more likely to disappear and I have to make another batch!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

@tikidoc   Here it is, as best I can remember. 

 

12-14 oz tempered 38% milk chocolate

4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp. - very soft.

4 oz -6 oz marshmallow fluff

6 oz Creamy Jif

1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste

Salt to taste. 

 

There's a little variation in the amounts of certain items because I was tweaking it as I went along, which is just how I do things ordinarily. I added in a little more chocolate at one point to melt the PB more. And then I added in a couple more oz of fluff to compensate for the weight of the chocolate I had just added before that. I beat the chocolate and butter with a spoon, added the PB so everything was smooth and sort of melty, then added the fluff, a little more chocolate, and a little more fluff. then the VB paste and salt. 

 

Pretzel rods, Vanilla wafers, and Oreos are great tools to use if consuming outside of chocolates.

 

 

 

Thanks!!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heres something I've been wanting to do forever! Soft sugar panning! I finally got the courage to do, much thanks to @Trufflenaut. Heres what I've done so far. The first and second pictures are store bought spice drops. These so far came out of any sugar panned item thus far. The second picture is twizzlers pull and peel, again with the same coat. I initally wanted to actually pull the individual strands and cut them, to have a ton of small centers to pan, but when I realized that was a massive pain, I just cut the licorice sticks to size. It didn't come out the same...I think the syrup was too cold...not totally sure here, but there seemed to be extra mositure there. The last picture is some black licorice, the recipe came from Chefsteps. I don't totally like the amount of gelatin in them, but really, its not bad, and I go totally crazy for anything that is anise flavored.

 

Ultimately, I wanted to make a larger slab of licorice, dice it, and pan it. Looking for something along the lines of Good and Plenty. So I did that today...it didnt come out super well, next time I'm going to adjust the syrup. These feel like there was too much moisture in them, even though I measured it with a refractometer. Soooo, it would seem that I started off well and am just getting worse. I'll post picture of the new licorice dragees when they have a few days to sit.

 

And just as a reference, @Trufflenaut pointed me to a text called Confectionery Science and Technology. Fortunately, Amazon had a used copy for a reasonable price. It has a very detailed instructions for soft and hard sugar panning. My next project was going to be hard panning some chocolate lentils....but I realize I may need to scale back, I might try for a Jordon Almond for now.

2018-03-20 16.04.08.jpg

2018-03-20 16.04.13.jpg

2018-03-20 18.27.16.jpg

2018-03-24 09.38.15.jpg

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, minas6907 said:

Heres something I've been wanting to do forever! Soft sugar panning! I finally got the courage to do, much thanks to @Trufflenaut. Heres what I've done so far. The first and second pictures are store bought spice drops. These so far came out of any sugar panned item thus far. The second picture is twizzlers pull and peel, again with the same coat. I initally wanted to actually pull the individual strands and cut them, to have a ton of small centers to pan, but when I realized that was a massive pain, I just cut the licorice sticks to size. It didn't come out the same...I think the syrup was too cold...not totally sure here, but there seemed to be extra mositure there. The last picture is some black licorice, the recipe came from Chefsteps. I don't totally like the amount of gelatin in them, but really, its not bad, and I go totally crazy for anything that is anise flavored.

 

Ultimately, I wanted to make a larger slab of licorice, dice it, and pan it. Looking for something along the lines of Good and Plenty. So I did that today...it didnt come out super well, next time I'm going to adjust the syrup. These feel like there was too much moisture in them, even though I measured it with a refractometer. Soooo, it would seem that I started off well and am just getting worse. I'll post picture of the new licorice dragees when they have a few days to sit.

 

And just as a reference, @Trufflenaut pointed me to a text called Confectionery Science and Technology. Fortunately, Amazon had a used copy for a reasonable price. It has a very detailed instructions for soft and hard sugar panning. My next project was going to be hard panning some chocolate lentils....but I realize I may need to scale back, I might try for a Jordon Almond for now.

2018-03-20 16.04.08.jpg

2018-03-20 16.04.13.jpg

2018-03-20 18.27.16.jpg

2018-03-24 09.38.15.jpg

Wow!!!  They look fantastic and smooth!  Hopefully, I’ll learn to do this one day.  What is the texture of the coating like?  Is it crumbly and crunchy?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18A073E9-74DB-4CCA-883C-691807E579F3.thumb.jpeg.5271a7fd34b6277d3803cc58ae80dc46.jpegHere are some pictures from Easter eggs.  The eggs are filled with various chocolate buttons and creatures.  Alas, I did not take pictures of the final product.

F335C705-8FA6-438F-B875-980352C05CB7.jpeg

BB102309-148A-4924-954F-1D342B0B243C.jpeg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eat.Choui said:

18A073E9-74DB-4CCA-883C-691807E579F3.thumb.jpeg.5271a7fd34b6277d3803cc58ae80dc46.jpegHere are some pictures from Easter eggs.  The eggs are filled with various chocolate buttons and creatures.  Alas, I did not take pictures of the final product.

 

 

Nice!  What are the green and the pink, did you make them yourself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last minute Easter treats—I had the mold for a week but no time to play until last night. Finger painted. I just filled them with store-bought marshmallow cream and leftover malted milk ganache because that’s what I had time for. :)

711C6E05-8AC5-4577-AAB8-D170C27CA4AD.thumb.jpeg.b81c08d224f20b3d1f915cb13af501a6.jpeg0264002D-921F-471B-AFB7-FDB6585FA843.thumb.jpeg.af2b1c3aeaea81e4171c8656b2a183a7.jpeg

P.S. Now I know I really need so white cocoa butter and to freaking make a decision on an airbrush. Maybe reading through the airbrushing thread for a 4th time will help me decide. Sigh ;).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my mom’s birthday:

 

~2 1/2 lbs each of chocolate covered macadamia nuts and hazelnuts...  I deliberately left a lot of doubles (and a few triples) to go for more of a “nut cluster” effect

 

4F7FE085-03B7-40B8-B629-18AB220B85BD.thumb.jpeg.8936ef07957f2c54f86184ce5fd849a5.jpeg9CC75DD6-BB2B-48D8-8B52-41B6C0BCE3A3.thumb.jpeg.3e74a86297bd686526d4300bb821d0a7.jpeg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2018 at 7:01 PM, pastrygirl said:

 

Nice!  What are the green and the pink, did you make them yourself?

 

Sorry for the delayed response!

 

The green is matcha white chocolate and the pink is raspberry white chocolate that we mixed in-house (matcha powder and freezed-dried raspberry powder).

 

Here is matcha almond dragrees with the matcha white chocolate before the powdered sugar finish:

 

A28D549F-2FFF-44C0-AA62-A553824CFDB1.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nougat has been my treat of choice for many years but my only previous attempt to make it at home was an absolute disaster.  The ingredients are not cheap and I was reluctant to try again after a first batch from which nothing could be salvaged.

 

Until a couple of days ago when I came across  honey that I had bought some time ago and which was still in good condition.  After reading around numerous recipes I stood for what seemed an eternity to get the sugars to the temperature recommended but the experiment paid off. We have nougat!

 

Any advice from you in respect of stabilising the result would be welcomed.  The pictures were taken 24 hours after the nougat was made.  In the 24 hours that have followed the rectangles have become rounded as the nougat gently and very slowly seems to be collapsing.  I’m wondering if there is anything I might add to the mix to prevent this?  The taste is better than I could have hoped for.

 

4EF57046-5E71-47BD-A7F1-9BEB83A36EA6.thumb.jpeg.8817bb3a215e37a6ebf16f3f7381a153.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By eglies
      Hello everyone! 
       
      Im in need of your expertise! Ive been having troubles with my machine, or maybe not even my machine. 
      Ive attached an image (hopefully its clear) to show you a mould that has different tempering problems. I dont understand how one mould can have several different tempering issues. 
      Ive also been advised to have my machine between 30C-31C, however all ive known is to use dark chocolate between 31-32C. Ive done tests from 30C-32C and none have the outcome that is expected, that shiny chocolate. 
      Please share your knowledge  I really need it!! 
       
      Thank you!!! 
       

    • By Trufflenaut
      I need some advice on a safe(ish), easy, and fast way to cut buttermints   I often make buttermints for friends for the holidays, and have run into problems cutting them into bite size pieces before the sugar cools and starts to crystallize too much, so I'm looking for ideas on how to do it more quickly so I can do larger batches.  Note that I am doing this at home and have very little budget, but on the plus side I don't need to end up with perfectly uniform pieces.
       
      The basic process for making the buttermints is:
      1. cook butter and sugar to 260 degrees
      2. pour out onto buttered marble slab and let cool slightly
      3. add color and flavor, and pull like taffy while it cools further
      4. when it just starts to show signs of crystallizing, roll into ropes and cut before it crystallizes much further (I have maybe 2 minutes if I'm lucky to get all the cutting done)
       
      The main problem I run into is that when handling the candy during steps 3 and 4, my hands need to be buttered so the candy doesn't stick to me, and even if I quickly wash my hands, any cutting tool needs to also be buttered to prevent sticking, and basically it's nearly impossible to maintain a good grip on anything.  The second problem is that the candy at this point is hard enough that if I try to snip it with scissors it will tend to slide along the blade instead of getting cut, yet it is still plastic enough that if I pick it up it will tend to sag under its weight and thin out too much while I'm concentrating on getting the scissors to cut right.  My best results so far have been with leaving the candy on the marble and cutting it with a pastry scraper, but pressing down hard enough to cut all the way through with a slippery (due to the aforementioned buttered hands) pastry scraper while trying not to gouge the marble underneath is not particularly fun.  I did try pruning shears once because the curved blade holds the candy in place instead of sliding along the blade, which worked fine except for the fear of lopping off parts of a finger made it too nerve-wracking to be done quickly.
       
      Basically, I'd love to find something that works like this, but for something with the consistency of a hard caramel:
       
       
       
      Any ideas?
      -Trufflenaut
       
    • By onemorebitedelara.com
      Has anyone used Valrhona Absolut Crystal neutral glaze particularly to thicken a coulis or to glaze a tart?  If so, how did you like it and is there another glaze you think worked as well but is less expensive or can be purchased in smaller quantities?  
    • By Galchic
      Hello, folks, thanks for reading.
       
      My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys?
       
      Our story: 
      We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning...  we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments…
       
      When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that:
      Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt  , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning.  
      Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself  - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat.  
      The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after.
       
      So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort?
       
      As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... 
       
      Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.
       
    • By pastrygirl
      My supplier decided that cocoa butter is now special order so I had to buy a case. And now I have an excessive amount of cocoa butter, anyone need any?  
       
      Cacao Barry cocoa butter pistoles with a best by date of April 2021   $66 for the 3 kg tub or $22 per kg plus shipping. 
       
       
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...